PDA

View Full Version : Baume and Brix? Whats it mean?

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I know that i draw off at 29. And finish at the red line on my hydrometer. WHats the rest mean on it?

BryanEx
02-09-2011, 08:08 PM
The Brix scale was developed to indicate the percent sucrose in a solution while Baume measures the density of a solution compared to water. Since both are density measurements, you can convert between the two but Brix is commonly used in sugaring because it is sugar we're after.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-09-2011, 08:18 PM
I plan to draw off at 29 baume. Is that the right number to draw off at

BryanEx
02-09-2011, 08:29 PM
29 Baume is 53.5 Brix... which is way too light to be syrup. That's not to say it's too light to draw off depending on your set up but you will have more finishing time needed to get to 66 Brix (35.6 Baume).

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-10-2011, 08:25 PM
That is what i plan to draw off at in my sugar shack. I want to finish it on my finisher of course

Dave Y
02-11-2011, 06:50 AM
That is what i plan to draw off at in my sugar shack. I want to finish it on my finisher of course

I know that some folk like to use a finisher to "finish" their syrup,and thats fine. But if any of you PA. boys or girls would like to learn how to make syrup off of your evaporator, come see me, I will show you how. It will save you time and equipment. Also will free up that space in your sugarhouse where the finisher is sitting.