PDA

View Full Version : Pre Filter Substitute

blaircountysugarin85
02-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Hey everyone I am looking for some sort of a substitute for a pre filter for maple syrup. My budget for sugarin this season is about maxed and looking for something I can use instead of the "official" maple grade filter. I have a wool orlon cone filter I plan to use but am looking something to use as a prefilter to like the orlon filter. Anything will be appreciated.

Toblerone
02-08-2011, 10:21 PM
I have, in the past, used grease filters from the local restaurant supply store.

Brent
02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
If there was a real substitute, it wouldn't be a substitute, it would be the real thing.

3rdgen.maple
02-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Prefilters are less than 16 bucks for a dozen. You do not have to use a prefilter with the wool filter. However it will not clog up as soon and will help with getting more sand out of the syrup. Up until I bought out my parents both my grandfather and father never used a prefilter. If you are not bottling in glass I wouldnt worry to much about it as what little missed by the filter will settle and stick for the most part ot the bottom of the container and if you are concerned about that you can always let it settle in storage for a bit and like alot do dont disturb the bottom of the settling container and reheat to 185 and bottle.

blaircountysugarin85
02-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Ok I went with the made for maple syrup prefilters. I will be bottling in glass would you think I should have crystal clear syrup with a prefilter on top of an orlan filter?

3rdgen.maple
02-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Ok I went with the made for maple syrup prefilters. I will be bottling in glass would you think I should have crystal clear syrup with a prefilter on top of an orlan filter?

Good question and alot can happen that can make or break it. I have some glass that the syrup is cyrstal clear and the next batch not so much. Also at first they will be pretty much all clear but in due time I see some sediment in the bottom. A good thing to keep an eye on when bottling is how you reheat your syrup for bottling. 180 to 190 is ideal but if you have a hotsot on the bottler like flames touching the pan in the middle it will heat that syrup hotter in that area and release more niter. A water jacket canner avoids this but they are pricy. If you reheat slowly and avoid hotspots it will help keep the syrup clearer. The faster you filter the hotter it will remain and will take less direct heat to get it back up to temp for bottling.

Brokermike
02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
cheese cloth it can be washed