PDA

View Full Version : Storage Tank

jkurtz0711
02-08-2011, 08:09 PM
How do you feel about a plastic storage tank that previosly held laundry detergent? Can it be cleaned or should i pass?

maple flats
02-08-2011, 08:45 PM
I would pass. Find one the originally held something edible. Then clean it. Many plastics are not food grade and many are not virgin. You never know what plastics were in their previous life if it is not food grade.

Bucket Head
02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
I would'nt use it. Years ago, unknown to me at the time, my mother put some syrup in a washed out, plastic one gallon jug that had fabric softener in it. I boiled day and night on a flat pan for that syrup, only for it to end up tasting just like that brand of fabric softener! Plastics are porus and absorb all sorts of things. Look for a food grade plastic vessel, that had a food product in it, but did not have a product in it with an offensive taste or odor. Your sap or syrup will have that same offensive odor or taste.

Steve

3rdgen.maple
02-08-2011, 10:41 PM
I was always told growing up in the maple world soap has no place in the sugarhouse. Thought for a long time my grandfather didnt bathe lol. But rather he was just saying he would not use it in cleaning maple equipment as he could detect a soap taste. I remember him telling his customers back then to just clean their containers they returned to be filled with scolding hot water and no soap. When he would go to refill the container that was returned he would sniff it and alot of times he would throw it away and say people just dont listen I can smell soap. I pretty much have stuck with that philosophy. So I would definatley pass on that one.