PDA

View Full Version : Really stubborn deposits in glass

Flat47
02-08-2011, 06:59 PM
I picked up some one gallon glass "growlers" at a yard sale over the summer. I was thinking homebrewing at the time, but now I'm thinking temporary bulk storage for sugaring. Thing is, some have some really stubborn white deposits inside them, like old milk or stale water. I've soaked them (Dawn detergent, Cascade dishwasher detergent), pressure washed them, scrubbed them (bottle brush, scrunge, 3M scrubber pad)...and they're better, but the crud is still in spots.

Anybody have suggestions on how to get that stuff cleaned out?

cncaboose
02-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Milk stone remover from Tractor Supply might do it. It removes all kinds of minerals and many use it to clean their evaporators at the end of the season. REad the directions as to how much per gallon of water, fill the jugs, and let stand over night. Rinse LOTS. If the acid in that doesn't do it, nothing will.

Flat47
02-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Milk stone remover from Tractor Supply might do it. It removes all kinds of minerals and many use it to clean their evaporators at the end of the season. REad the directions as to how much per gallon of water, fill the jugs, and let stand over night. Rinse LOTS. If the acid in that doesn't do it, nothing will.

I'll give it a try, thanks.

Haynes Forest Products
02-09-2011, 12:03 AM
CLR or vinagar I believe that sometimes the glass is etched beyond cleaning.

Flat47
02-20-2011, 07:41 AM
CLR didn't touch it.
Off to find milk stone remover...

OneLegJohn
02-20-2011, 09:52 AM
In the sugarhouse I believe there are two good one to have and I will explain. I use Oakite 84 (milkstone cleaner) and Oakite ABC (Alkaline Bleach Cleaner). Both are FDA approve. OneLegJohn's rules to cleaning stuff. 1) If it isn't soluble in the alkaline state, it is soluble in the acid state - and vise versa. 2) Buy powder products for best bang for the buck. Why pay for some one else's water, and ship some one else's water? It just so happens that the deposits in the growlers are probably alkaline soluble. Contact a local Chemetall Oakite rep, 800-526-4473. When you get ahold of the rep, ask them to send you a 1 lb sample of each.

Flat47
04-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Back to an old topic...

I can't seem to find any Milk Stone Remover around here. The hardware store folks suggested some other acid stuff or lye, both of which kind of scare me.

Any more input?
Thanks!

happy thoughts
04-05-2011, 09:19 AM
May sound weird, but try denture cleaning tablets.

If you can get a bottle brush inside and reach the places you need to scrub, you could also try Bon Ami, a soft abrasive cleaner that will not scratch glass.