PDA

View Full Version : Tapping in Allegheny County

Dan W
02-08-2011, 04:14 PM
So far it looks like Sunday will be the start of the season here around Pittsburgh. As long as the forecast stays the same or better, I am going to tap on Friday. I have to make an overnight trip on Saturday so I need to get it all done in one day. My helper (son) is out of town until Friday night but it shouldn't take too long by myself. I REALLY can't wait!!!

Gary R
02-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Good Luck Dan! I'm going to help a fellow trader put tubing up Saturday. I'm going to put my taps in on Sunday. We aren't going to be far behind you.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-08-2011, 06:53 PM
We are also tapping this weekend in washington county. I am putting out 150 on tubing. And a few friends of mine are trying it out this year. Good luck everyone

Dan W
02-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks Gary, Hope you have a good year too. Once my year ends you will probably be going for a while. I am going to try and stop in to see your set-up.

Dan W
02-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Well I put out 273 buckets on Friday. I don't think it got as warm as they were calling for on Saturday to start the flow. Yesterday Got back from my trip and some of the taps were flowing pretty well but not enough to even think about collecting. I figured today would be good but the winds came and shut everything down. After work today I collected and fixed all the blown around buckets and all I got out of those 273 buckets was 40 gallons. What a let down. It's supposed to be 18 here tonight and be nice the rest of the week. Hopefully I will be boiling on Friday or Saturday.

Dan W
02-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Boiled off everything I had today. Ended up making about 2 gallons of syrup before I ran out of sap. Haven't looked at the forecast yet but I think I'll be boiling monday or tuesday again. Man I love this sickness!!!

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-09-2011, 08:04 PM
got 35 gallons of syrup so far here in washington county. we have some time left according to the forecast.

Dan W
04-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Well my season is officially over. Spent all day in the sugar house today. Bottled up the last 9.75 gallons I had today. Cleaned the filter press and put it away for the year. Cleaned up all of the miscellaneous stuff and put everything away. I ended up with 47.5 gallons of syrup from 283 taps. Works out to around 22 oz. per tap from all reds. I think this year was pretty good over all, way better than last year. The wind was an issue a lot of the time-when it wasn't gale force, it was from the east when the temps were perfect. My best collection day was 350 gallons. I was expecting a few 500 gallon days, but had numerous 200 gallon days. After seeing Gary R's tubing setup, I think I am going to put an 80 tap section on tubing next year and talk to 2 neighbors about moving those 80 to their woods. I really need a 16 year old apprentice to collect some of this for me and I'll be set. It really doesn't get any better than this. ONLY 10 MONTHS TILL FEBRUARY!!!!!

Gary R
04-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Dan, if you can get vacuum on them, you'll really be in the sap! I am stoked for next year already also. Hope to see you next weekend.