PDA

View Full Version : Tapping when trees are frozen

Southtowns27
02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm actually in the process of tapping my trees today, should have a run coming up this weekend. Currently, everything here is still froze hard. I've heard that tapping trees when they're frozen isn't necessarily the best thing to do since the bark around the tap can crack when the tap is driven in causing a leak. I've almost always tapped in freezing weather and really never had a problem. But then again, I don't really drive the taps home. I put them in far enough to hold the bucket, then the first time we collect our sap I go around and drive them the res of the way. One of my buddies even told me "you can't do that" about tapping today, but with my work schedule, it's my only option. So what do you all do???

ADKMAPLE
02-08-2011, 01:25 PM
what size taps are you using. I dont think that the tree will split if you go by the manufacturer recomendation.

Thad Blaisdell
02-08-2011, 03:02 PM
I can tell you that drilling a frozen tree is easier than one that is running sap already. It doesnt make mushy pulp as you are drilling and your tap holes will be cleaner.

Rhino
02-08-2011, 03:19 PM
With the amount of taps we do, and to try to time out the first runs we always are drilling in frozen wood, I start tapping some mornings at first light and maybe around 2 oclock pm i will first start to see the inside of the holes getting wet. Alot of the super huge operations i'm sure are drillin and fillin in very cold weather right now in some of the northern states. Do what you have to do to get the work done.....good luck!!

ennismaple
02-09-2011, 12:42 PM
We make a point to not drive the spiles home too hard when we tap in frozen conditions. We send a crew out to check lines once the sap is running and they normally need to give each tap a little whack with the hammer to fully seat them and eliminate the micro-leak.