PDA

View Full Version : HUGE run coming soon

HAHA I 1
02-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Well, the weather is looking GREAT for a HUGE run starting this weekend - Sunday in particular. It looks to run through at least Thursday of next week, depending on if it gets cold enough at night. We need to split a bunch of firewood this weekend or I will be in trouble. May even need to find some temporary sap storage since we cannot boil fast enough.

Gandolf
02-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Trying to get everything ready myself. The wife and I have been busting butt this week to get all the tubing in and trees tapped by Friday/Saturday.

Have a brand new shack all ready to go.

Anyone else in Indiana starting this weekend?

Mark72
02-09-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm not too excited about this run, in fact it makes me worry. It is going to stay too warm for too long= bacteria growth= holes closed earlier. Anyone else share my concern?

Mark

ahowes
02-09-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm not too excited about this run, in fact it makes me worry. It is going to stay too warm for too long= bacteria growth= holes closed earlier. Anyone else share my concern?

Mark

I'm not experienced enough to know about no bacteria :D, but I'm wondering how I'll boil it all down if I get as much as I expect with those temps. That's a good problem to have, though. Since I have far more trees than I'm tapping and my elderberry spiles are easily moved, I will probably pull from the less productive trees and move to others.
I am going to order some more archboard insulation to protect my curling top from curling - hopefully that will work and I'll be able to keep up.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-09-2011, 07:44 PM
I am not worried about bacteria yet. the forcast here goes below 30 everynight on the 10 day so i am good. But next week will be a big one.

Sugar Sue
02-09-2011, 08:36 PM
We are planning on tapping on Saturday. We have got everthing ready.

HAHA I 1
02-09-2011, 10:33 PM
The thought crossed my mind, Mark. Its supposed to get awfully close to freezing a couple of nights, so I am crossing my fingers. I am more worried about firewood and storing sap.

Goggleeye
02-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Well, the weather is looking GREAT for a HUGE run starting this weekend - Sunday in particular. It looks to run through at least Thursday of next week, depending on if it gets cold enough at night. We need to split a bunch of firewood this weekend or I will be in trouble. May even need to find some temporary sap storage since we cannot boil fast enough.
I'm in the same boat (might need one with all the sap). Fortunately, I have a snow day today to cut wood and try to empty all my sap storage to get ready. Bad thing is, I didn't get it all out before the deep freeze, and a lot of it is frozen in the barrels and buckets. At least the thaw is going to start when I'm home to empty often.
The extended forecast does concern me, though. The 15 day here (not like they're ever right) calls for only a night or two below freezing after this weekend.