PDA

View Full Version : canner/finisher size

Parker
09-18-2005, 05:53 PM
My leader canner is 16x11.5x24 how many gallons? (16?) I just went to Montpielier and got another that is 30x 18 x24 ,,(30?)I am sure there is a formula BUT i have not found it,,Fellow also has a 6x16 for $3500 (solederd Stainless) Wood conversion to oil,,I would buy it if I did not have one,,,,,Parker

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Parker- 231 is the # you want for Sq. inches per Gal- So take the 30"X18"X24" and divide it by your 231 and you come out with a 56 Gal canner? Guessing you have a filter rack on the top of the canner that is recessed a little so when the syrup hits the screen you have a Lg. drum 42? Gal. that you can fill up/is what most of the big producers use instead of the 31 1/2 Gal. which is a small drum.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Parker,

Up to the bottom of the rack, it will hold around 13 gallons and maybe a touch more. It would be around 16 gallon to the top of the canner. It is the same size as mine, so I have checked my capacity. :D

Parker
09-19-2005, 03:40 AM
The canner has a 4 pipes with holes drilled in the top that run the length of the stand,,these pipes have valves on the end of them that go into a central manifold,,the manifold has a valve on the end of it then a 3/4 inch fine thread union,,,I would like to plumb it into a large (bigger than a gas grill) bottle of gas,,is there a special regulator or flash back protector I should plumb into the line?? Dont want to blow up the sugarhouse and have never done much with gas--and what is the best bet for a bottle of gas??

Seibold's Sugarhouse
09-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Parker,
I'm not a gas expert by any means however, I do know this: At my house I run a gas grill and gas fireplace off of a large 100 gallon propane tank. When I set this up I removed the regulator that came with the grill and the gas company placed a regulator at the tank that handles both the grill and the fireplace. So to answer your question what you want to do can be done and yes I belive you need a special regulator depending on the size of the bottle.

Good Luck