PDA

View Full Version : Willow Creek Sugarhouse 2011

red maples
02-08-2011, 09:14 AM
OK...Looks like it time to get this one started.

If all goes right I should start tapping Saturday morning. Should be able to finish up all tapping by Sunday and fine tune on monday then start on leak detail, monitoring tubing and vac. levels.

morningstarfarm
02-08-2011, 03:32 PM
woohoo..go get em bud...if the early signs are right this looks like its gonna be a good year.. may your weekend really "suck":D:lol:;)

red maples
02-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I hope so man. Right back at you may your weekend really flow!!! :rolleyes:

Finished everything I need to finish outside today(except cleaning the tanks) gonna be chilly. Tomorrow so will spend remainder of the time inside organiziging, cleaning etc inside the sugar house!!!! where hopefully I can get it warm enough to be at least be sorta comfortable!!!

red maples
02-09-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm gonna be already by saturday incase the weather turns for the better but I think I will start on monday instead of saturday!!! that will give me 3 days to tap I am sure its gonna take more time based on the amount of snow anyway. No warm up until thursday of next week as of today anyway but that could change at any moment!!!

morningstarfarm
02-09-2011, 03:48 PM
why do I keep hearing the theme from deadliest catch every time I read a post about getting started..lol actually, I hear it every time I go into the sugar house...:lol:

red maples
02-09-2011, 03:58 PM
thats funny....When does the new season start??? Waiting to see how Capt. Phil's kids make out!!!

S Culver
02-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Think those kids fought before wait till you see probate. One will end up with the pots and one with the boat and they will go broke standing on the dock refusing to look at each other. I knew of two people down in St John that bought a boat then got in a fight, cut the boat in half and flipped for it to see who got the front and who got the back with the ( outboard) motor. I'm not making this up!!!. As a kid I rememder the guy with the front tooling around in a really short boat.

red maples
02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Well its been quite a lousy week!!!

1. my Wife got bit by a ferrel barn cat last weekend. Was a good bite emergency room the works. had to got through the rabbies ordeal and everything + she had a bad week at work on top of the cat thing!!!

2. my daughter had a nice stomach bug poor kid had it coming out of both ends.

3. my son got strept throat.

4 I got the stomoach bug was off and on the toilet all night last night.

But I am doing better gonna go out to the sugar house for a few hours for some cleaning.

Still planning starting to tap tomorrow. ervything is almost ready anyway got alot done last weekend thank goodness!!!

red maples
02-13-2011, 08:42 AM
thanks to maple leaf sold off my 2 stock tanks...had that money in my hand for 45minutes. stopped at the hardware store to pick up a float swtich and a Propane space heater for the sugarhouse. money gone!!!! oh well in 1 hand out the other.

Gettin started today want to have 75 to 100 taps done today. low number but I wanna get some more stuff done inside the SH.

TIME TO GO!!!!

red maples
02-13-2011, 06:12 PM
100 taps done. found 1 squirrel chew I might have to fix but once I get the vac going we'll know for sure. Came across 2 hollow. I think 1 was hollow last year and I must of missed the other 1, oh well more firewood come summer:)

checked everything in sugarhouse for leaks flooded system with water. a few little bugs to workout but no leaks. Bigger line into into float box huge difference. (3/4 to 1-1/4) shouldn't have any pressure issues this year.

Tanks are all clean, ready to go.

Brought in the releaser for a good cleaning tonight. get that hooked up tomorrow. I put ball valves in on each branch of mainlines so I could separate everything out. Right now I have 1.75 sections done so I can get those running on vac tomorrow. they are saying 42* so might have a little run tomorrow I hope.

Then hopefully finish the rest of the Vac taps tomorrow.

then on to the buckets and gravity lines hopefully we'll have those done on wednesday. for the BIG RUN on thursday.

Russell Lampron
02-14-2011, 05:09 AM
I see that you started tapping. Looks like we could get some sap this week. The forecast looks better every time that I check it.

red maples
02-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Yeah russ good sap running weather coming!!

I pretty much finished tapping the vac lines today 75 this morning (got a late start after getting the kids off to school) and about 100 this after noon by about 4 or so. Have I think 1 or 2 more laterals to go...ran out of CV's. and wasn't about to trek all that way back out to finish. I get it tomorrow.

My legs are shot now all day in snow shoes oooofff ...I think I pulled a groin muscle too on one of many falls.

Sap was running a little today it got warm but with the bases of the trees still coated with ice so there wasn't too much to get excited about. Have alot more "off" south facing taps this year.

Got the vac and releaser going this morning too.

Tues...need to get Gravity tubing tapped in its up a little to fix on it getting rid of the old treesavers and going to clear seasonal on those. And if time hang buckets. but there are only 10 of those.

Gettin' there!!!!

Russell Lampron
02-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Brad you have plenty of time before it is time to tap the buckets. I am going to wait at least 2 weeks. The releaser is going to be hooked up and the SP22 turned on Wednesday. Got some squirel chews to fix and then just wait for enough sap to boil.

I know what you mean about the legs being sore after wearing snow shoes. I spent most of Saturday and Sunday with mine on. I'm not as sore as I thought I would be though.

Dill
02-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Sunday I was sore and fell asleep at the dinner table.
I really can't get over the fact that people strap on snowshoes and go for a walk. FOR FUN?? I see them as a tool.
Really I was surprised how little it ran today, but this was the first time those trees have seen 50 degrees in a while, they are just defrosting.

red maples
02-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Man come on here check the new posts more than 50 everytime geez!!!

Yeah I was thougtht it would run a little more too but I did collect about 15 gallons of sap but dumped it kinda was my my clean out the lines sap!!! was yellow and nasty was clear by last night. played with new sap ladder a little. Thats a work in progress.

yeah russ I was thinking the same thing!!! after looking at the forecast it doesn't seem worth it to worry about the buckets and gravity until at least the end of next week it won't take me more than an hour or so to tap those only about 35-40 gravity and 10 buckets or so. Gonna freeze up most of next week!!!

Yes Dill...I snowshoe for fun. not really sore as just tired!!! I have done some hour long treks back on my trails here this year. Nice quiet and peaceful I like to get out the just as the sun is coming up. but I am moving at a much faster pace than tappin trees.

I did get a few oval holes just a you start to drill one shoe drops about an inch ****!!! Oh well not much you can do about those!!!

Cold and windy out today. get in the SH and clean some more already turned on the heater for a bit.

Russell Lampron
02-15-2011, 05:59 PM
When you're out snow shoeing for fun you aren't climbing the side hills and trying to climb over stone walls, fallen trees and stumps like you do when you are tapping. It's even worse when you are carrying a roll of tubing, a bundle of drops and the tools and fittings to repair leaks. I don't know how many times I fell when I was out there last weekend.

Gonna be bitter cold tonight but warming up for a couple of days after that. Hopefully we can all get enough sap for a first boil. Looks like it is going to be cold again after that.

Amber Gold
02-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Brad, you didn't waste any time getting tapped in. You'll be able to catch all of this run. Good luck this season and may the season be long and sweet.

red maples
02-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Boy I hope so!!! thanks Josh. Same for you bud!!!

I tapped early this year, banking on the research from the CV's (which I did switch to) with very little sap loss to the end of the season, even when they tapped in in Jan. So we'll see.
Not tapping gravity and buckets yet!!!

Got all my filters all cleaned and ready to go. Saved a ton of money by buying big flat filters and cutting them down.

Off to the hardware store!!! for a few special fittings.

red maples
02-16-2011, 01:50 PM
OK, Re-did the bottom of the sap lift. working alot better now...although still favoring 1 side. getting some sap problem is some of the main line is still frozen in shaded areas it only got in to the 30's about just after noonish sun came out of the clouds around 2or so, well see is things start moving or not???

After further review there were 3 saddles plugged with of all things seeds??? I don't know??? but they are all cleared and doing better. sap only ran for a few hours. from more trees than I expected to run temp hit 40* for a few hours!!!! Looking forward to tomorrow!!!! Hoping for big sap !!!

Russell Lampron
02-16-2011, 06:10 PM
It is supposed to be 46 here tomorrow and 48 Friday. I hope that you get a big run. It will be a good way to start the season.

red maples
02-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes Yes !!!! warmer weather on the way. need to heat the trees a little get 'em going here!!! Walked the lines better today. found a few squirrel chews Taped 'em up for now. I use red electrical tape so I can go back and find them later. tightened a few connections on the main lines and a few saddles loosed up but nothing major except the 3 plugged saddles.

Just need to keep walking them, Gonna be dreaming of that dam hissing sound tonight!!!

Got the SH and cleaned and spiffed up. frost heave under the main door though can't upen it all the way !!!

Had a little moisture in the oil case of the vac pump ran that for a little bit and re-changed the oil. everything is froze up now.

red maples
02-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Well sap ran a little better today. Only got about 50 gallons. Hoping on another 50 for tomorrow then I can fireup my evap for an hour on sat. :rolleyes:

We'll see!!!

red maples
02-18-2011, 06:47 AM
Got another 15-20 gallons on the over night lots of slush in the releaser manifold, and hit 30* and the dump flap was frosted shut. went to this morning and had 10" vac pulled the flap and all was well. little frost in the lines but still pulling a little outs the trees.

SSFLLC
02-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Brad looks like today will give you a good flow. Happy boiling tomorrow. Keith

red maples
02-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Got Enough!!!! have about 120 gallons and its still going a little but the wind had kicked quite a bit so that slowed things way down. hopeing for 150 gallons by morning (maybe wishful thinking) Will be able to boil, although short but there will be steam!!! Even though it was warm 1/2 the woods are still pretty cold. especially were the hemlock stand is!!!! no sun and little breeze in there.

Probably no more sap until next weekend and then looks like maybe another cold snap for the last few days of the month but thats too far out to predict for NE!!!

SSFLLC
02-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Thats not bad. Usually its voting day before we get good sap anyway. last year was a flook thing with the early warmup. you should be able to sweeten and get a little syrup. we will be up and running end of tomorrow. will be adding the rest of main line and taps nest week. we have 200 + right now. checked vac pump and releaser today 27 at pump and releaser 1200 plus feet away. should be good to gonest flow.

Russell Lampron
02-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Go for it Brad. Get those pans sweetened. Looks like there will be steam at my place too. The releaser decided to cooperate today and I had 250 gallons of sap and rising at 6:30. The vacuum pump will be left on all night tonight. Excuse me while I go get another boiling soda. All of this typing is making me thirsty.

red maples
02-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Ha ha, good for you russ!!!
Speaking of boilin' soda Had 1 before went out and sat at the releaser and watched sap trickle in. The wind died down here a bit and the sap picked up!!! still 48* here!!!

The releaser was taking it own sweet time opening before would start to suck air for 3-4 minutes and 3" vac loss before it would throw the switch!!! so popped the cover off and gave it a quick rinse and working good now!!! must of got a little sap drying in there made it sticky.

morningstarfarm
02-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Nice...good luck on sweetening tomorrow...you might be able to get some syrup on 120...took me all of that to do mine, but your flu pan is bigger than mine..and my channel pan is bigger than yours...so you just might make it..any ways, congorats and enjoy...:)

red maples
02-19-2011, 07:19 AM
We'll Tapping reds here remember. sugar is lower!!! I didn't check it yet. The sap hydro is set a 38* and just a few degrees off can change it alot at that level of sugar.

But none then less a draw off would be nice!!!!

Got 150 gallons I was looking for!!!! the sap kept trickling in all night. It only got down to 35 last night!!!

Ridgeland Farm
02-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Well it ran pretty good here too. had some pump issues so I couldnt get it pumped up out of the woods so my tank ran over quite a bit. sugar is low. mine was only 1% and I have atleast half sugars but another guy up the road who has virtually all sugars was only 1.2. Looks like things will be shut down for a while. No warm weather in sight. have to work today so I will have my hands full tomorrow emptying a frozen sap tank!

red maples
02-19-2011, 07:32 AM
where in NH are you, newbie???

red maples
02-19-2011, 05:57 PM
AHHHHH.....SO nice to get that much anticipated boil out of the way. only went for about 2.5 hours but I actually had butterflies as I lit the fire!!! 150 gallons goes buy really fast when you're sweetening the pans.first 30 gallons gone right into the pans!!

Didn't get a draw off need some more but was nice to smell sweet steam!!! still tasted a bit of the sweet!!!

now next week I can get the float switch in the head tank, and I think thats about it and wash the tanks again and clean out the relesaer again to get ready for what looks like a warm up on thursday.

I think I will order the rest of my bee stuff and start to get the hives put together. and do all my wifes book keep for her art thing. OH yeah and relax before the season gets into full swing.

Backyard Sapper66
02-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Brad,
Sounds like you had a busy day, that's good. I am sure your wife will be happy with your help. Still waiting for enough sap to be able to boil. No fear of it going bad, plenty cold enough here on the mountain.
The first time I started boiling (on an open fireplace) it gave me goosebumps knowing that I was actually doing it. Good luck this season!!!
Doug
:)

red maples
02-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Are you kidding "my wife would like the help" :mad::rolleyes::lol:

I am a stay at home Dad. SO I DO EVERYTHING!!!!

I am a chef by trade and have the possiblilty of making alot of money problem is I like being home for dinner, nights, weekends, and holidays!!! and I don't like to commute back and forth to boston becasue thats where the money is.

My wife is the bread winner. but I do everything at the house which is good and bad. the good thing is I can take a nap after lunch. The bad thing is my job requirements, Logger/wood processor/hauler, chimney sweep, contractor, chef, dishwasher, housekeeper, dog walker, nanny, taxi driver, laundrymat attendant, farmer, gardener, landscaper, snowplow guy, wood stove feeder, maple producer, book keeper/ billpayer, and anything else you can think of to do at the house. and some where in all that I somehow find time to take out the trash and recycleables...and go to the gym and go hunting and fishing!!!

I hope my wife knows how good she has it;)

peacemaker
02-20-2011, 09:03 AM
red i am in the same shoes as u

red maples
02-21-2011, 04:04 PM
new balance??? no just kidding!!!! but I am glad some one understands!!! I do miss cooking but I like spending time with my family better!!! I am gonna miss my little buddy next fall, he starts kindergarden but its only 1/2 day!!!

red maples
02-21-2011, 04:14 PM
So not much going on too cold. Sun is warm though. Made 1 final adjustment to sap ladder this 1 will do the trick I am sure!!! I rebuilt the top part out of PVC and set it up the same way you would a 6-way star...with the T pointing down into a 90* elbow. but what was happening was the sap was favored up 1 side of the lift and sap was shooting straight across into the other pipe and kept circling around and around. SO...the easiest cheapest way I could figure out to make this work better without rebuilting the thing again....I cut a flat piece of pvc from a house down spout addapter (needed something flat) and with my dremel and a small cutter I cut a little slice in the back of the T and put in a divider. now instead of the sap going across it goes up hits the divider and drops right into the top line and right down to the releaser. I had just enough sap in the line to test it!!! and it seemed to not favor 1 side or the other anymore. but we'll see!!!

maybe some sap coming on wednesday I think I am gonna tap all my buckets and gravity lines on Wed. as well.

red maples
02-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Got a whopping 20 gallons of sap today. It only hit 36* here so the sunny side taps were the only ones really doing anything. turned the vac on for a few hours until the sun went down. sap ladder working better. just need more trees to really "RUN" not just trickle. but need that nice snow ring around the base of the trees which I really only have on less than 15% of the bush.

Got some more little things done today and decided to tap the gravity lines in the neighbors property across the street and put up 7 buckets. all of those get full sun all day they were flowing pretty good when I tapped them this afternoon. and they have that nice snow ring too.

made a new cover for the 1 tank this morning and moved a wire for the mainline into the releaser in the back of the sugar house to a post in stead of the sugarhouse itself now I won't hit my head on it anymore!!! :rolleyes:

Just need this cold air to break up a little!!! We all know it could change at any time but there are only 3 days above 40* thru march 4th!!! :razz:

3rdgen.maple
02-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Red it your top T pointing down or up? The top one should point up.

Dill
02-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Since I'm setting up the exact same pump and releaser as you any hints on it?
I've got a regulator and check valve, are you running a moisture trap? How many inches of hg? And does the little pump have any issues (heat) running for 8 or 10 hours?
Kinda lousy out today hoping to set it up tomorrow.

red maples
02-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Red it your top T pointing down or up? The top one should point up.

Point up? why would the T point up??? let me get this this straight it should look like this "T" ? it comes up the pipe and will go throug a 90* elbow then the T is in the middle and the sap drops down into the main line and continues through to the relaser. Set up just like a 6 star lift would be on top of the upper line and sap dropping into the main line

red maples
02-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Since I'm setting up the exact same pump and releaser as you any hints on it?
I've got a regulator and check valve, are you running a moisture trap? How many inches of hg? And does the little pump have any issues (heat) running for 8 or 10 hours?
Kinda lousy out today hoping to set it up tomorrow.

had a big thing typed out and the power went out:mad: Ok So

1. Yes, I would highly recommend a moisture trap!!! I use a whole house filter I found at lowe's for I think $25. it has a screen thing inside I took out and put in a large super ball and it works great Saved me twice last year when things backed up.

2. Heat...No problem. I have had mine running for longer than 48hours straight last year with the extended warm weather spells we had. I use air compressor oil I get from lowe's and change the oil once a week....when its running (not like it is now) Mine has a 1 HP electric motor and I can put my hand on the pump head for a while before I feel the heat (a while being more than 45 seconds) which is fine. If it seems like it running a little warm you can point desk fan at it that will help and make sure you have lots of ventitation and out of the direct sun. All of that it should stay cooler for you.

3. The releaser... make sure you install it as level as possible. Make sure you flush the dump/float button on the top with water every day. a little sap will get in there and can get sticky, That why mine backed up on me last year. No problems this year knock wood!!!

4. Valves. I put in 3 valves... 1 on the vac line at the pump just after the relief valve and shut that valve release the pressure with the release valve and shut it down. 1 on the vac line at the releaser so I can shut it down there if I need to. and 1 valve on the main line a after a coupler.

5. 1 thing I like to do when I shut it down is to make sure all the sap is out of the releaser so there is no threat of anything cracking or what ever or just freezing up at night then when the sap start flowing your flap won't seat beacuse of the ice in side.

the small hole on top of the manifold is for your vac pressure gauge. and the Big hole up there is for the Vac hook up and obviously the 1 in the back are for your mainlines.

1 more thing, I had to re-put in all the threaded plugs because they all leaked.new teflon tape and a few clamps on the clear hose no more bubbles.

Hope this helps

any more questions please feel free to ask!!!

almost forgot....It will run an average of 24-25"Hg. higher sometimes as high as 27-28 last year.

Good luck.

Dill
02-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I was actually surprised I never lost power this morning.

red maples
02-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Well nothing doing today!!! I will go cleanout the sugarhouse AGAIN!!! it can always do that. Kids are on Vaca this week wife is in texas on business all week. and once the buckets melt I will go dump them. sun hasn't hit really hit those yet!!!

So I am building my bee hives!!! got 3 boxes done so far. 5 more togo. then Iwill start to put the frames together I guess. kinda nice to have a somewhat lazy day today.

morningstarfarm
02-26-2011, 09:19 AM
you sure you really dont want that sappish water? I know you must be jonesing pretty bad right about now....wouldnt want to see you curled up in the fetal position sucking your thumb and drooling...:rolleyes:

red maples
02-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Nah!! but thanks anyway. believe me I really want to be boiling but only got about 50 gallons in the tank right now!!! :( oh well what are you gonna do we can't control the weather ...yet!!! thats ok though. putting the bee hives together in the living room...No Wife remember. and the kids are helping me hammer nails in the frames and stuff.

got 20 frames together and wired. and finished 2 deeps and 2 medium boxes then ran out of the right sized nails. going to pick up some nails and paint. and maybe hit McD's with the kids for dinner.

Dill
02-26-2011, 05:11 PM
I have sap in collection tanks, but most of it is solid.

3rdgen.maple
02-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Point up? why would the T point up??? let me get this this straight it should look like this "T" ? it comes up the pipe and will go throug a 90* elbow then the T is in the middle and the sap drops down into the main line and continues through to the relaser. Set up just like a 6 star lift would be on top of the upper line and sap dropping into the main line

Been awhile since I checked your thread. I cant quite picture in my head how you set up the ladder but in a 6 star is exacally how you describe it should be. So you got it right and the way I was describing point up would look like an upside down T on a 6 star .so the sap drops down in the pipe and not rise up from the bottom. Your all good. Oh wait I got it now your 2 pipes are going over the top of the upper main and you are dropping the sap into mainline. Im thinking on my setup where I put a T in the upper mainline and the 6 star drops into that. I have a high mainline towards the begining of the run so I can pick up a high area and a low area which is why I have a T on the mainline instead of an elbow.. Now quit messing around and get some sap would you and quit picking on those Bees:D. This week is the big week for us if weather holds true.

red maples
02-27-2011, 06:05 AM
just waiting on the weather bud!!! I have been ready to go!!!

Finally this week looks promising temp wise with many days in the 40's with 20's at night. all I have to say its about time!!! seems like forever. Sap is gonna flow straight into april.....LETS GO!!!

red maples
02-27-2011, 02:50 PM
went to check things out noticed the edges of the ice on the main collection tank was down about 2 inches with air pockets under the ice uh-oh...leaking some where. PVC valve on the drain I put in cracked from the freezing. good thing I caught it would have lost 50 gallons sap. Like tossing out a gallon of syrup!!! :o quick fix!!

red maples
02-28-2011, 01:10 PM
where's my 45* degrees, the weather dudes promissed !!!! it hasn't broke 35 here yet!!!! COME ON!!!! LETS GO ALREADY!!!!

Dill
02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Tomorrow dude, the sun will come out tomorrow. :lol:

I'm hoping to have the going tomorrow, today just seemed like I would get more rain water in the tank than sap.

Russell Lampron
02-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Yes the sun will come out tomorrow but it isn't going to get much above freezing. Just keep telling yourself "It's still early" which it is. We need to swap some of our cold air with Brandon for some of his warm air. Then we would all get sap.

red maples
02-28-2011, 06:20 PM
yeah it is still early!!! the 10 day forecast is looking promising for vacuum. lost of rain and nasty weather. The bucket guys around here aren't tapped yet and there is one gravity tubing guy who doesn't even have his take down lines up yet??? I wonder if he isn't tapping this year. He's an older guy I hope he's doin' OK!! He used to tap the trees at my old place that I used to rent in the next town. before I bought this place and started sugaring.

red maples
03-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Finally getting a little sap turned the pump on at 12:00 today things were still a little frozen but had to go out and run a few errands came back and sap was flowiing a bit...nothing crazy but it is coming through. only 36 * but the sun is very warm. Might get enough between today and tomorrow to boil we'll see I guess. I hope so anyway!!!! fingers crossed!!!

was power washing barrels the other day and the motor blew on the power washer...darn thing has maybe 15 hours max on it atleast there is still warentty on it and I did get the additional warranty too which I rarely do.

red maples
03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
got a little more sap today and did a quick boil to freshen the pans. just over filled the pans a little brought it up to a boil and let it go out. just a little tease for me!!!

hopefully we'll get enough sap this up coming weekend to get things going for more than 1.5 hours and get a little syrup drawn off!!!! hopefully be bpoiling by monday!!

Been spending a more time with kids anyway ((winter break) which has been nice we've been very busy doing stuff.... I think they are going through TV withdraw!!! but I 'd rather be boiling this time of year. Quite Icy outside now!!!

SSFLLC
03-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Brad better put the light on under the pans. Tonights going to bitter cold out. Keith

red maples
03-03-2011, 07:35 AM
oh yeah....I put a 100 watt bulb in the arch and I have a propane space heater hooked up to a 20# tank. set it to low and put it under the arch. that keeps thing warm enough!!!

TapME
03-03-2011, 09:01 AM
minus 3 here and my pans are frozen in the snow upside down but that will change this weekend for sure. The fever is starting to set in :)

red maples
03-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I have had the fever since the first boil on the 19th of feb I think it was ....so long ago:rolleyes:

red maples
03-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Get your wadders ready boys and girls!!!! 7 out of the next 10 days of the forecast look perfect for sap.....Bring it on!!!!! and thats 7 days in a row with 38 on the last day of the forecast!!! Ill take it!!! lets make some syrup!!!

Backyard Sapper66
03-03-2011, 06:05 PM
I agree with Brad!!
Now only if it will warm up enough up here in Alexandria to allow the sap to run ill be happy.
Good luck fellow sappers!!
Doug

morningstarfarm
03-03-2011, 09:10 PM
bud, I sooo hope you are right...but this year with their record I wouldn't stand there holding your breath....good luck though:D

red maples
03-05-2011, 04:51 AM
Well I was in Boston all day yesterday, took the kids to the museum of science. SO I don't know what temp it hit here. I think it must have been still cold I usually get a little sap from gravity if the sun is out. but I didn't get anything. and there was still a little ice in the sap ladder. So I am guessing it didn't warm up much here.

I didn't sleep good last night. Was dreaming of big sap...excited I guess!!!

31.5* right now sorta bouncin' back and forth between 30 and 31. waitin a little bit to get the vac running. Gonna run it for an hour this morning and tight the belt and change the oil. To get ready for the marathon run which will probably got through monday before a refreeze.

finally lookin' for big sap!!!! its very calm out too lets hope that stays too. enough of the wind already!!!!

red maples
03-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Slow start to the day...no sun early on. Took a little for thing to defrost. Walked the woods a little found 1 squirrel chew. other wise everything seem pretty tight. running 25 at the releaser and 23 at the end. awe-some!!!

Still not as much sap as I would like today. got about 50 tough gallons but it seems to be getting progressive stronger as the day goes on. some trees still aren't running yet. I figure once we get throught this weekend of warm and rain nice melt!!! Then refreeze on monday night to refresh the trees and everything will be running like crazy.

My 1 giant maple that I am coming to gauge things on is only dripping a little got 3 buckets on her. and 1 tap nothing at all. that one will fill each bucket a day easy!!! did it 2 years ago and did it with 1 bucket last year. when that baby breaks free!!! its on full!!!

red maples
03-06-2011, 10:09 AM
OK so got another 50 gallons on the overnight. most trees are trickling now. getting a pretty good flow over 150 gallons now:) Sap ladder is working good.

Dialed in the air leak!!! and figureed out why I had a vac loss at the end after the ladder!!! had a side tie on a longer stretch must have slipped from all the wind tightened it up and threw in another tie gotit straightened out. now I got 3/4 " loss :D diaqled in at 24.5" at the release and 23.75 at the end. couldn't be happier.

The sap is finally running a little out the end of the one branch too in a cold spot in the hemlocks. it is on a six star ladder which I haven't had to open a leak there. but it was sitting 1/2 way up the lift. and put in a slight leak. jumping up there and pulling sap through it good now!!!

Finally !!! I was getting worried there for alittle while!!!

red maples
03-07-2011, 01:59 PM
had 150 gallons to boil off yesterday. so the pans are offically sweetened. 300 gallons is about what it takes. could have drawn off a quart right at shut down. but nah!!!

I did filter out the syrup pan looks like it gonna be "dark" great flavor but it was the first sap which was partially boiled and sitting the pans for 2 weeks!!! lots of niter!!! wow!!! I think I am gonna strain out the flue pan too and a little flush with some fresh sap get out all the gunk!!!

soaked the syrup pan it a vinegar solution. so thats all nice and clean its still sitting in there.

I don't wanna juinx myself but last year was definitly the learning curve year!!! fixed my problems I had last year so I can just concentrate on feeding the fire properly and watching to draw off!!!

much more relaxing!!!

Vac pump running strong for 53 hrs steady !!! Sap slowed up last night when I was cleaning up, barely trickling in but must have picked up from the rain because I ended up with another 60 gallons by noon today. Temps dropping good freeze tonight expecting a good run for tomorrow when things thaw out. then another marathon weekend coming again with no freezing night temps forecasted!!! geez come on!!

Dill
03-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Its odd, its running in Lee for me, but not in Northwood. Everyone else isn't getting much up here either. I know how you feel about the drawoff, I was probably 20 gallons of sap shy from drawing off yesterday. Too bad I siphoned 40 gallons onto the ground after filling the headtank for the first time like I end up doing every year.

red maples
03-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I did that 2-3 times last year!!! ugghh!!! but this year I put in a float switch best thing I ever did!!! It keeps the tank full it only goes down about 2- 3 inches and it kicks back on. so I get a constant pressure on the float. I just have to make sure the pump stays primed. and I hooked a light up to it so that when the switch trips the light comes on too. The pump I have has an auto shut off so that if it runs out of water or in our case sap it shuts down so it doesn't over heat and burn out. switch cost me $25 but the pump was $320!!!

red maples
03-09-2011, 10:34 AM
boiling right after lunch today!!! Well just as the temp hit 32* the sun went away:mad: so there is a slow melting of the lines!!!

end up with close to 100 gallons yesterday. best run of season for me so far but not even .5gpt yet... but it only hit 39*. the mainline froze up before the trees were done running about dinner time yesterday all the laterals were full of ice this morning.

doesn't look like today is gonna be a runner of a day that I was hoping for!!! only suppose to get to 36* here now and its only 34 right now

All the town voting BS is all done with now. Ag commission got voted in overwhelmingly!!! So thats good. I ran into one the town's good ol' boys who happens to be a logger and said he had a bunch of pine I said I'll take it but let the snow melt and let me burn some of what I got stacked maybe a month or so. he shows up this morning with a full truck load for $125 I couldn't turn that away. So with all the wood Ihave stacked up in the woods + whats in the yard uncut so far I am pretty set for the next 2-3 years at least!!! but he likes to talk so that was an hour!!! :(

red maples
03-09-2011, 09:13 PM
FINALLY....hey I finally got a little syrup today!!! just over 3 gallons!!! middle of the road dark amber with a nice buttery rich flavor. but I think it will lighten up thats the stuff that has been sitting in there since feb 19th!!! but Ah I can rest alittle now(especially since I really don't have much sap)...but have to adjust my thermometer a little I think I will pull it out tomorrow and check it in boiling water I had to draw off at 223.5* today???? I kept checking and checking????? Its gotta be off.

Temps hovered around 33-34 all day but still managed to get 30-40 gallons some how. its sitting at 31* degrees right now but the lines got all slushy coming into the releaser so I didn't want any thing to back up if it did freeze solid in the releaser so I shut her down for now. Nothing on buckets or gravity windy cold nasty!!!

red maples
03-11-2011, 06:15 AM
got close to 175 Gal. since yesterday morning!!! So if the trees keep going like they are I will hopefully see 350 + gallons by tomorrow morning. can't boil today(I hate boiling when its rainy anyway). but I will be cleaning today!!! but I am keeping sap separated by day. and I am gonna take advantage of the warm temps and starter up at 5:30 -6am tomorrow. I have 500 gallons of storage space so I should be fine. + 3 -50 gallon barrels just in case. this low pressure should keep things flowing well. hopefully well into tomorrow. then hoping for a little freeze up sat PM into sun to refresh the trees!!!

and sugar is coming in at and average of 1.5 - 2% I'll take that. then add in my 2.5 -3 from the gravity trees and buckets and we're looking at pretty numbers.

All the culverts are clear so snow melt and rain can easily flow out unlike last year where the main culvert was blocked by a huge rock and full of beaver cuttings. I think the beavers moved because of the dry season last year. haven't seen any more cuttings anywhere!! since last spring at least. thank good ness for that!!!

red maples
03-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Well was getting good sap from buckets got 10 gallons of sap from 6 buckets...very nice, and 32 gallons outa 26 gravity lines, and on vac lines got 400 gallons since thursday morning...Averaging pretty good accross the board. total sap collection to date 950 gallons 280 vac, 7 buckets,(but ones a dud red) 26 on gravity and good weather in the forecast. so just over 3 gpt but there's a long way to go!!!

boiled off about 220 gallons give or take off today in 5 1/2 hours although had to take a break in the middle to take my daughter to softball evaluatuions...made a few gallons. She was ready to draw off more but I ran outta time!!! but will work on the rest tomorrow morning.

I really need a freeze here haven't had one since wed night...sap is still coming in although much slower, there's not one expected until sunday night in to monday. they might even shut down today we'll have to see little vac has been running strong and steady since thursday moringat 6:00 am. only shut it down once friday night to change the oil.

thanks again Keith for that little vac she's a champ...pulling 24.5" all day yesterday and 25.5" all day thurday and friday!!!

Backyard Sapper66
03-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Brad,
Sounds like your doing good, keep her just a boiling!!!!
Good luck and have fun. Make sure you keep the "boiling sodas" stock pile from getting empty or the fun will come to an end.......
Doug

red maples
03-13-2011, 03:51 PM
hangin' in there!!!

only boiled 80 gallons this morning...had some other stuff to do.

managed to get another 100 gallons since last night...all gravity and buckets have just about stopped. but vacuum still pullin' sap!!! Good freeze up coming tonight!!! so more sap on the way!!!

Russell Lampron
03-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Brad this is sugaring season! The other stuff will have to wait. Get that sap boiled before it spoils. Priorities Man!!!

red maples
03-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Oh I am fine!!!:) Just some family stuff!!!

red maples
03-15-2011, 06:22 AM
yeah ring on the inside of the releaser. when it hasn't been cleaned in a bit it will get nice and grimmy inside. and we hadn't had a freeze in some time. so if you notice your sap coming in cloudy and can't figure out why. check in your releaser!!!

I got grade B today!!!

I don't know how I did it I was pushin' it hard!!! No blower...no preheater!!! stock rig.... boiled out 250 gallons in 6 hours!!!! pulled off 4 gallons syrup. could have got a little more but had to shut down.

averaged 41.66 gallons per hour. bone dry pine firing every 3 minutes alternating doors!!! she was rippin' end to end!!!

Didn't get freeze last night but managed 50+ gallons on vac...gotta love vac.

Got to boil the lasty hour in the dark(well sorta) just no lights no radio...dog nicely chewed through my extention cord!!! Dumbass!!!

Russell Lampron
03-15-2011, 07:10 AM
yeah ring on the inside of the releaser. when it hasn't been cleaned in a bit it will get nice and grimmy inside. and we hadn't had a freeze in some time. so if you notice your sap coming in cloudy and can't figure out why. check in your releaser!!!

I got grade B today!!!

I don't know how I did it I was pushin' it hard!!! No blower...no preheater!!! stock rig.... boiled out 250 gallons in 6 hours!!!! pulled off 4 gallons syrup. could have got a little more but had to shut down.

averaged 41.66 gallons per hour. bone dry pine firing every 3 minutes alternating doors!!! she was rippin' end to end!!!

Didn't get freeze last night but managed 50+ gallons on vac...gotta love vac.

Got to boil the lasty hour in the dark(well sorta) just no lights no radio...dog nicely chewed through my extention cord!!! Dumbass!!!

Hey I think that I read this post somewhere before!!! :-)

red maples
03-15-2011, 07:22 AM
yep!! ooops

OK now I got syrup...ahhh

Now the question is will I have sap for the weekend????
50's with no freezing nights at the end of the week

do I try to save sap from the middle of this week and just try my best to keep snow piled around the tanks or just drain it and boil water???

hmmmm???

I guess I will have to see what I can get away with.

3rdgen.maple
03-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Well I am glad you hit the 40gph mark on your rig cause I manage to do it all the time using dry pine also. Had a few people on here say theres no way. Same rig same setup as you. It can wear you out opening and closing doors and chucking wood but as you just proved it can and does happen. Nice job.

red maples
03-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Well I am glad you hit the 40gph mark on your rig cause I manage to do it all the time using dry pine also. Had a few people on here say theres no way. Same rig same setup as you. It can wear you out opening and closing doors and chucking wood but as you just proved it can and does happen. Nice job.

I never pushed it that hard and was wondering if you were really right but now I know!!! It really runs great when you push it like that. very little mixing strong boil in the flue pan keeps the level in the syrup pan higher. all went really well...very happy part of the trick is getting the float level at that sweet spot which took a while to figure out!!! although it kicks your but doing that for 6 hours!!!

red maples
03-16-2011, 06:04 AM
boiled out 100 gallons of cloudy sap last night that was left over before the freeze monday night. but it took me 3 hours I was pushing through a batch of wet wood fromt he holiest of tarps!!! but got through it.

collected 275 gallons sap yesterday. Best one day collection for me ever. Actually 1 bucket overflowing that never happened before. Did get a little freeze last night hit 30* for few hours.

Today I am tired!!! sorry I'll take some Cheese with that wine.

SSFLLC
03-16-2011, 06:26 AM
Hi Brad no time to be tired. Suck it up and get er done. We boiled off 225 gallons yesterday. Made all grade B with great taste. Thought we where getting a head but got another 275 gallons on top of that. Got done to 29 here last night. So should run good again today. Keith

TapME
03-16-2011, 07:03 AM
Brad, stop that. This is what we want 11 months of the year right. This run ain't done. The end of the week will be a slamer of a run. Get ready:)

red maples
03-16-2011, 10:54 AM
I knew I was gonna catch crap for that:rolleyes:....I am getting a cold too sorry didn't mention that. I think hacked up a lung this morning!!!

I am still having fun don't worry!!

its only 34-35 here not much sap coming in!!! just tricking in !!!

Today is cleaning day!!!

Took feed tank down cleaned that out...it was getting a little funky!!!

cleaned the releaser tank again. rinsed out releaser.

Getting a big build up in the back pan...Drained flue pan filtered out all the niter geez there was alot of it. filled the both pans with vinegar water brought it up to a boil and now its just sitting. melting all the junk off it. tonight everything should be cooled enough I will do the super rinse. Then first thing tomorrow morning we go!!!! fire it up at 8:30am!!!

Have to go to my daughter's school tonight for some play or something!!!

OK back to cleaning!!!

TapME
03-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Same temp here Red Maples and we got slamed... Just giving you some s--t. Colds and flu are a common thing and everyone gets tried, so it's all in fun. Have a great day and put your head in the steam to break the cold up.

red maples
03-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Feeling better today!!! steam def. helps...but loosing my voice hopefully not too bad so I can talk this weekend.

Well sap run is winding down...weather guys mess up in our favor for once!!! got a freeze last night. and ran hard for a while but it warmed up alot oh it was hot in the sugarhouse today. down to a t-shirt and of course bumped the door with my arm not too bad though. boiled off 200 gals and collected another 180 gallons.

not expecting a banner run on the over night or tomorrow I got 300 gallons to start the weekend ...perfect. So no boiling tomorrow...got to save it!!!

Got some bottling to do tonight and make some candy tomorrow and clean and all that!!!

I think I was all done by this point last year. had my 30 whatever gallons and I was done... Flooded out/ wet wood/ trees already budding/ I am up to 15 gallons finished and still going strong!!! and buds are still small!!!

...so this is what a REAL maple season is like!!!!:)

Russell Lampron
03-18-2011, 05:36 AM
Yeah Brad this is what a real maple season is like. It seemed to start a bit late but this is like it was when I was a kid. A lot of snow and a lot of sap.

red maples
03-18-2011, 05:53 AM
yeah last year was my first real year. And It was a bit of a let down!!! Too many mother nature issues...but if the forcast holds up like it says now we might be making syrup straight into april here!!! some of the best sap weather I have seen for a given stretch in the next 10 days!!! once we get past today 65*!!! maybe even a frost tonight!!!

Russell Lampron
03-18-2011, 06:19 AM
Yeah it is forecast to be a little cooler here, 61 for a high and where my trees are is colder still so I am thinking that I am going to have BIGSAP despite the higher temps.

TapME
03-18-2011, 06:30 AM
It was 29* here last night so I'm thinking like Russ. Overflow again today

Dill
03-18-2011, 08:41 AM
I can't get over how much sap I got yesterday. I picked up 200 gallons at 10, 300 gallons at 3 and another 175 gallons at 7. That was a busy day. Left the pump on all night we'll see what we get today.

red maples
03-18-2011, 10:43 AM
I got more than 100 gallons since yesterday and its still coming in...with the snow in the woods it just must be cooler in there I am sure!!!

PerryW
03-18-2011, 10:56 AM
It's 55 deg and my sugarbush in Littleton is running pretty decent despite no freeze in the last two nights. I think it's the colder trees finally thawing out. They are saying a low of 22 tonite. I'll believe it when I see it. Anyway, should have at least a couple hundred gallons to pick up later today.

red maples
03-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Good perry!!!

I think my trees are running pretty good today even though the temps and the wind is howling!!! it might have alot to do with more of my trees are taped on the north side this year.

I have to say it nice to have the windows open in the house though.

Syrup is bottled

candy is made just have to package it.

now off to the out side to see what I can get done out there. Not setting up the tent today!!! it will blow to kansas.

This cold is really starting to kick my butt. :(I felt better yesterday, but it's back today. Gotta finish soon and sit down 2 hours outside cleaning and stuff then my butt is hitting the couch!!! :)

morningstarfarm
03-18-2011, 03:35 PM
did you make my 100 maple leafs? :D

red maples
03-19-2011, 09:46 PM
you never brought me syrup!!!!:rolleyes::)

red maples
03-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Thank goodness for cold medicine and for wives helping out!!!

Well had 425 gallons sap for today boiled off over 200 during the course of today. Although I did empty my syrup pan and finished that off on friday becasue I wanted to have enough syrup and because I was affraid of burning it while was talking and touring folks around. We had a great turnout I am guessing 80-100 visitors and there was just enough sap coming into the releaser to see it drizzling out. since we didn't get the freeze last night. Almost ran out of syrup and candy. Just finished making more candy and bottling up another 7 gallons. We'll see what tomorrow brings!!!

Glad to hear other folks had good days as well!!!!

I think they need to move the date back to the end of the month...I needed that extra week this year!!! but we're making it!!!

red maples
03-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Well Draining the syurp pan was just what I needed slow mixing boil all day again. So I have another 200+ gallons from today to boil off tomorrow!!! and the get the gradients in the pans back in order.

I had a Great turnout again today close to what I had yesterday don't know exactly but it had to be pretty close to 180-200 over the 2 days. Sold everything I had which was only 18 gallons but its all gone the good thing about the smaller containers is the average gallon is over $70 and folks that didn't get syrup are coming back to get it!!! and I have prepaid orders for 1/2 gallons of Grade B. (they are friends though I would do that with folk I didn't know)

I think they liked my set-up over my competition due the fact that they can see the the releaser and tanks and all the tubing right in the back of the sugarhouse.

When the sun hits the sap ladder you can see the sap pulsing up through it and it was running hard today so people were loving it!!! said they would be back next year. I had some folks from foreign countries too. Anice couple from costa rica heading back down tomorrow bought some syrup and candy to take back down.

I think the best compliment I got over the weekend was the flavor of the syrup was the best they had tasted and they had been to several sugarhouse of over the 2 days!!!

but I am beat need to move the weekend back to the original date!!!

Amber Gold
03-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Glad you had a great turnout. I agree, it is nice for the customers for us to be boiling sap, but it adds another level of stress to the weekend to be worrying about if you're going to have enough sap or not and having to worry about burning the pans from not paying attention. I'm on the fence on which weekend it should be.

red maples
03-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Well I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I am still recovering from the weekend!!! I went out and boiled off some more. seems I am not having luck with good sugar % anymore eversince we had the warm up on friday my sugar has really dropped off. sucks...lots of boiling not too much syrup and very dark...tastes really good though. no off flavors or anything just low sugar...same thing happened last year I hit a certain point and the sugar fell off??? discouraging but still going!!!

morningstarfarm
03-22-2011, 01:30 PM
thats because you vacuum guys suck all the sugar outta them treezs..:D..I tried to call you..I had 200 gals of 3.5% that needed a home...but noooo I guess you like making steam too much...JK..anyways glad to hear you had an awesome weekend...one of the guys who helps me boil stopped by and was very impressed...good job:)

red maples
03-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Yes he did. Nice Guys!! and girlfriend wife or what ever very nice too. Glad the wife said you could build a sugarhouse!!! Go nuts man!!!

My sugar is coming back up in the sap today. trees must have needed a recharge with this cold weather. My releaser froze up and backed up in to the moisture trap last night some time. got it running again this morning. but it kept backing up I cleaned it out it was working better. It would dump but wouldn't reset??? I don't know so I put a little weight on the release button and that seemed to do the trick. It was a quick rinse I will fluch it with hot water as soon as I get a chance.

I am a little behind on boiling!!! and can't seem to catch up I think I have boiled almost everyday for the past few weeks here. I will get there. almost there today. but had to shut her down to get my daughter to flute practice!!! 75 gallons low sugar to steam through then cleaning then on to some better sap tomorrow!!!:)

red maples
03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Ah getting caught up a little today started off with more than 350 gallons wittled down to 75gals ah a little breathing room. Wanted to boil yesterday but had to finish some too stressed for me tax crap for the accountant but that headache is finally done....

Slow start to the run today lines just wouldn't thaw just chilly all morning but once it did it ran pretty good buckets too!

picked up another 120+ gallons as of 6pm and still going pretty good temps are starting to drop.

Getting tons of niter geez!!!

maple maniac65
03-24-2011, 06:45 PM
so someone else has tons of niter. I am cleaning my evaporator every 50 gallons of syrup made to keep making medium amber. If not I go right back to dark. Sugar content is on avarage 2.6. Cleaning just invloves lots of water and a pressure washer and very little scrubbing. I have a pressure washer just to clean the flue pan no soap goes through it.

Dill
03-25-2011, 10:06 AM
I started getting the heavy solid black niter last night. A prefilter done every gallon of syrup. Going to drain the syrup pan and let it sit with some vinegar while I collect today.

PerryW
03-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I started getting the heavy solid black niter last night. A prefilter done every gallon of syrup. Going to drain the syrup pan and let it sit with some vinegar while I collect today.

wow, that is totally the opposite of my sap. I made four gallons of high-end medium last night and I bet I didn't get more than a coffee cup cup of tan-colored nitre in the prefilters. I usually change the prefilter after each take-off and the main flat filter every 5 gallons, but I be I could have gone much longer.

red maples
03-25-2011, 07:55 PM
HAHAHA I finally got back to DA today. filtered out the flue pan and rinsed it with water. drained off the syrup pan and finished it out so I could keep it separate. boiled through and pulled a couple of gallons of dark amber. I sold out of DA on maple weekend and was glad to get some more. Niter is a lighter color. All the stuff I filtered out of it was black as night.

So for the seaosn so far I am at 32 gallons. which is 2 more gallons than I made last year on my young reds!!! I have 3 cords of wood left, and weather is looking good most of next week. we'll hit 40-50 gallons!!! I'll take it for my 2nd year. getting better and better!!!

to date I have collected an estimate of 2100 gallons of sap. which is right in line with 1.5-2% sap I have had. at about 65 gallons / 1 gallon syrup. (a few days had sap as low as .5% but its back up with these cold nights)

today I was my second best run at just under 250 gallons. and it was slow start to get thing thawed. cold nights the next few days!!!!

red maples
03-26-2011, 07:36 AM
Well it looks like there are a least 6 maybe 7 days left to this season according to the latest weather forecast. so the end seems to be in site!!! it does come with mixed emotions. It will be nice to have normal days back and nice weather to get things rolling in the gardens and going fishing etc. and maybe just enough rest to kick this cold that I have been complaining about through the season.

but on the other hand it is just becoming routine to be in the sugar house for 6-10 hours boiling away. and I have lost a few pounds in the last few weeks had, Had an amazing Maple weekend. Realy alot of fun.

And I think my son is getting board, yesterday he said to me He's 5 and I love having him with me...He said Dad uh..I hate to tell you this but I don't think I am gonna come to boil with you tomorrow...I need a break!!! :lol::(

Much better season than last year by a mile!!! (although I wish I some lighter syrups I might be looking to buy a 5 gallon container of medium if some one has one) Josh/Russ:rolleyes:

I wanted to add on more taps but reconsidering as much as we all love boiling, with my young bush of swamp maples as long as the sugar is 1.5 - 2% all is well, but when it dips below that and it does the 6-10 hours boiling days just to stay caught-up can be rough!! So I think I will hold off on that and just improve things a bit save up to add on to the sugar house next year and invest in an RO. couldn't imagine if I were to get 1 gallon per tap and getting 280 gallons a day + my buckets and gravity to boil on a 2x6....LONG SEASON FOR SURE!!!

Alright out to the SH to get ready for the day!!! :)

red maples
03-28-2011, 06:52 AM
HOLY CRAP !!!! DROWNING IN SAP WILL UPDATE WHEN I GET MORE TIME!!! SAP RUNNING LIKE CRAZY BOILING 7-9 HOURS JUST TO STAY CAUGHT UP. FLYING THROUGH WOOD!!!! HOLY CRAP....BIIIIIIIIIIIIG SAP!!!!

OK I am convinced it is getting toward the end of the season and I am getting more sap than I did at the begining of the season.... CV's... WOW!!! nuff said!!

TapME
03-28-2011, 06:57 AM
WOW. have you got sap? It will kick into high gear today so get ready the second season will be starting this week. Get ready

red maples
03-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Yeah I have been getting 250+ gallons a day for a while. low sugar I gave up checking it...sap hydro not really worth the money. too Temp. sensative!! maybe a refractometer for next year!!!

It has been perfect sap weather for me I don't think it could be better.

Well been boiling like crazy....alot of sap for a 2x6!!! I will finally hit 40 gallons tomorrow and should hit 50 by the end of the week easy getting 3-5 gallons of syrup a day!!! Finally caught up after not boiling on saturday geez miss 1 day and your behind BIG time. over 3000 gallons collected don't remember the exact amount I did take pretty good notes this year. although I think my number is a little high so I might adjust it back a little. (had to gauge storage containers I never graduated them)

Has been a back and forth year as far as grades go. grade B, then to DA (very close to MA) the back to Gr B and then Have been at DA since AMple weekend.

My only problem is I have 1.25 cord of wood left need to get some more together I think!!! but I will make it!!!!

TapME
03-29-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't think we ahve collected 2000 gallons of sap yet. Syrup totals is aproching the 50 gallon mark. I don't keep records very well but it's at least 150 eveery time we collect if not more. Have 250 sitting in the head tank to start the AM with. going to try for 75 if I can get some wood.

red maples
03-31-2011, 05:49 AM
HMMM looks like this weekend is going to be about it sunday night looks like the last freeze. which is good because I am going to be close on wood. And with these past warm days the buds are starting to swell pretty good getting ready to pop soon I think. been checking for off flavors but haven't gotten it yet.

I wish I could get 50 gallons out of 2000 gallons of sap. young red maples on vac. = low sugar!!! but it is what it is!!!

Very close to hitting 1 gpt yesterday for sap. but vac down for a little bit. The vac seemed to be running a little loud like when you just turn it on before it has a load to pull. checked pressure quick hmm 11hg normally running 25. Ran out in the woods found a dead tree on the main and over a lateral it was pretty light I moved it fixed everything tap back in back to normal. It was alomost 55* here yesterday though maybe a fitting came apart somewhere.

adding up all predictions 9-15 inches of snow between tonight and tomorrow!!! I am all set with snow!!! don't want ot happy april foos I guess!!!

red maples
04-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Well not much of a freeze wed. night so only got about 100 gals sap yesterday, and kept getting slush last night at 32/33* and very little sap shut it down about 10:30pm went to turn it back on and no vac...off to the woods in a bit to find the problem. Heavy wet snow pulled something down I am sure. I have 75 gallons of sap left from yesterday a little cloudy and syrup is getting that end of season smell and taste which is weird because once you filter it out the taste is awe-some!!!

I have 3 more gallons to finish up today and that will put me pretty close to 50 gallons on the season. Gotta get the vac fixed and finish the weekend strong as I think my last boil will be either monday or tuesday...depends on how much wood I go through. and how much sap then outta freezing nights and buds are getting big!!!

Cleaning things this morning, nice to work relaxed a for a bit. 250 gallons everyday for most of the week just trying to push through the sap. A little breathing room is so nice......

SSFLLC
04-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Hi Brad no sign of buds opening here yet. But only 4 days of wood left. Almost 650 gallons yesterday. In 24 hr period on 228 taps. Looks like a long weekend for the wife boiling. Sugar still holding close to the 2%. Things froze up here last night and still frozen now. Any improvments for this coming year. Keith

Dill
04-01-2011, 08:24 AM
I thought the buds were still tight here. But when I looked up yesterday they've started to swell. I think it will be B through the weekend and then probably mersh next week. I still haven't made the real dark B that a couple customers like. Heck I made a gallon a Medium last night.

red maples
04-01-2011, 09:05 AM
The Reds haven't popped yet but buds are getting pretty big on a few trees. I only have enough wood to get through hopefully monday/tuedsay !!! not going to get much sap today I am sure. just bounceing around 32/33*

Just Got back to house had a tree root up and over the mainline...no damage but had to pull out the chainsaw to get the tree off the mainline. Pulled a saddle right off the mainline. Thank goodness for side ties. broke 3 side ties, Replaced the saddle, tied everything back up, open the valve, took a quick walk around all is good.

No Real big upgrades for this year going to try to raise up mainline a foot or 2 and put in 1 low tank with a pump and just keep in the sap ladder for emergencies (flooding) and then put in a dry a dry line. Thats about it for this year. I might run some more mainline to get ready to add on more taps and just add on maybe 20-25 taps to vac for next year to put me over 300 vac, otherwise its has been just super long boiling hours that 2x6. Don't want to spend too much money on little things this year saving for an addition to the sugarhouse to put in an RO. Then I will tappout my woods and my neighbors woods with an additional 200 + taps, but not until I get the RO. Picking up a log splitter this year too!!!! splitting 13 cords of wood but hand keeps you inshape but kicks your butt!!!!

red maples
04-01-2011, 04:57 PM
It was nice boiled for 3 hrs to get through the rest of yesterday's and this mornings sap, finish out and filter the 3 gallons from yesterday. Hit 48 gallons syrup. just waiting to get more sap its coming in VERY VERY slow. Only managed maybe 50 gallons as of 5:00. SO unless there is a feeze tonight I probably won't be boiling until sunday.

WOW a day off from boiling. I just looked at my notes and I think in the last 20 days there have been 4 days with no boiling. Friday before maple weekend to save sap, last saturday because everything was too frozen, and 2 days for some personal stuff!!!

And it was nice to listen to the sox game in the sugarhouse!!!:)

red maples
04-02-2011, 06:14 AM
not much sap yesterday 25 more gals on vac 65 gals total for the day.

we didn't get a freeze last night. I will give it tonight or tomorrow night then I think thats it...nothing even remotely close to freezing here in the forecast. let the count down begin!!! :(

NH/Pete
04-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Looks like we might get a freeze tonight. I'm in Newton.

Keeping my fingers crossed for one last run. :)

red maples
04-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I my buckets are dry!! but I somehow mannaged to get over 100 gallons of sap today so I have about 130+ gals to boil off tomorrow just need to let it keep building. 3-4 hours of boiling done!!! but yes 1 or more runs and its over besides thats all the wood I have left.

red maples
04-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Finished boiling remaining sap today ran out of wood at 4:15. Got a little sap today maybe 65 gallons but it has been cloudy since Friday, even though we got a freeze last night the trees are pretty much pooped out and ready to get on with making leaves I think.

So tomorrow I will finish out the pans see what we got to get some final numbers. It has been a hell of 3 1/2 weeks. nothing like blowing through 6+ cords of pine in 3 weeks I still can't get used to that.

Should be pretty close to 55 gallons once its all said and done. An estimate of about 3600+- gallons of sap. Got 15 gallons of dark syrup and the rest was GR B. But great flavor the whole season no mersch syrup at all this year.

Mixed emotions on the shut down this year, Sad because its over but also happy because the good parts of spring are just starting, Dafadils are coming up start gardening soon, Fishing season, and bees are coming in less than 2 weeks. So maybe we'll have some honey for maple weekend next year!!!

The bad thing is I am already thinking of ways to make things better for next maple season!!!! Maybe build a prototype Plexiglass hood and see how that works.

Just have to thank my wife for being a huge help on maple weekend, and keeping up with refilling the coffee urn and keeping things in check with that stuff, Making my road signs and painting me a sign for end of the driveway. Also she only got pissy with me once when she had to stay with both kids when they were sick and I escaped out to the sugarhouse!!! Had To boil!!!!

The next dry day get the sugarhous eopened up and dry everything out. give the floor a good scrub.

Taps will come out this week as soon as the evap pans are done.

Overall it was heads and tails over last season. It was excellent for my second season. Doubled my syrup production from last year. (although it would be nice to get some medium) Still learning more everyyear!!! Hope next year is even better!!! Have More wood ready!!!

Backyard Sapper66
04-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Brad,
It was great reading all your updates!! Good luck with your bee's this season. Glad you had a great year, its definately been a good one for me so far and I think I might have another week before the sap starts changing color (and smell).
Doug

red maples
04-18-2011, 01:26 PM
I hate cleaning after the season it always takes me while to get it done because I procrastinate so bad!!!

Tubing is finally flushed out just gonna leave open for a few days then turn the vac on and close up the taps. I did set a little boil in the evap to activate the acid in the vinegar. still a litte niter build up on the sides of the syrup pan but I'll get it off. Should have my powerwasher back by the weekend. (blown motor:mad:)

Try to get everything else done and cleaned and put away by next Monday!!!

Did get my bees on saturday and they are in the hive only got stung a few tiimes didn't have my veil yet. have it now though!!!

SSFLLC
04-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi Brad got my bees saturday also. You must have got them from Ben and Bev. Do you go to the seacoast bee association or Pawtuckaway? Didn't get stung> but did get a package that was already queen right. Hopping its not africanized. Good luck with the sweet necter of the gods. Keith

red maples
04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Hi Brad got my bees saturday also. You must have got them from Ben and Bev. Do you go to the seacoast bee association or Pawtuckaway? Didn't get stung> but did get a package that was already queen right. Hopping its not africanized. Good luck with the sweet necter of the gods. Keith

Yep Ben and bev. But I picked up mine from Bill and Wendy Booth's place in nottingham they are much closer to me than Ben's place. I go to the seacoast bee Assoc meetings in Lee. Although I haven't been since the Nov. meeting... no Dec meeting, Jan I had some other stuff going on that night and Feb and Mar I was consumed with maple like every one else. Gonna try to go Thursday if my wife can get home from work early enough.

I don't know why my second package was so agressive. after the first one I figured geez no problem and that sting was my fault. But both hives have been very active the past 2 days. can't wait to open up the hives to see their progress.