PDA

View Full Version : Tubbing

mapleman9000
07-12-2003, 10:47 AM
When is a good time to put up tubbing? In the summer, fall or winter? Last year I was forced to put it up in 10 degree temperatures and then had to re-tighten all of it later when warm weather came. Is it posible for it to be too hot so that you overstretch the tubbing?

themapleking
07-12-2003, 04:09 PM
I'm redoing all of my lines now. I did it last winter too and its all saged. It's alot easier now with out 3 ft of snow and 20 below wind chill. I think as long as the temps don't go into 80's it's ok. You could use ratchet wire tighteners. Get all your mainlines tight than snug your 5/16 lines. When your all done just loosen up the ratchet tighteners so you have a little sage in the lines. Than come sap season just retighten them up. This way you don't have to worry about the temp changes streching the lines out. Thats my game plan.

mapleman3
09-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Joe, The 5/16 lines you got from the maple guys. what was the brand? I'd like to get the same, I guess I am leaning more toward that style... is that considered semi rigid? I'll then talk with Chris(mapleguys) for a price when I know what kind it is.
Thanks
Jim

does anybody have a preference of semi rigid vs the more flexible purple lamb tubing? or is that just used for drop lines?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-10-2003, 02:12 PM
I am curious to know the differences and preferences between semi-rigid and normal 5/16 tubing. What is the best way to use each of them and is one used for drop tubing or not??

Brandon

themapleking
09-10-2003, 07:45 PM
Jim, The brand of tubing is ( beaver river ) semi-rigid. As far as I know Chris as a Large supply of it. Us the semi-ridid for the main runs. The softer soft will stretch too thing when pulled tight. your 5/16 hole can go down to 3/16 or smaller. The softer stuff is best for drop lines. " if you us it at all" The larger diameter line will not stretch and collapse going around trees. By having less stretch, it will increase sap capacity and decrease vacuum leaks. I hope this answers your questions. Joe

mapleman3
09-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Joe, that is exactly the answer I was looking for, you sumed it up perfectly. ok then Chris will be getting a call soon!!

Thanks again!
Jim

mapleman3
10-04-2003, 10:01 AM
As far as leaving everything up all year, do you find the critters chew the laterals more in summer or during sap flow? what have you had the most problems with???
Jim

michaelh05478
10-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Jim, I havent heard of anyone taking them down..Im going to leave mine up...I dont think the critters will chew much....

powerdub
10-04-2003, 12:58 PM
After using a lot of different brands of tubing, except beaver river because I have never heard of it, I have found that rigid tubing works the best for everything. I went with semi-rigid for a while for the drops but am finding that it doesn't clean up as well after a few seasons as it did when it was new. The rigid is coming clean still after quite a few years. The old stretchy PVC tubing is basically useless now. It doesn't clean and is very high maintenance. I also run a 32" drop so the rigid doesn't kink an I know I can get around almost any size tree in my bush. I also use Lapierre because it is white and you can see through it from a hundred paces. It also keeps the sap temperature down inside the tubing. It is very easy to work with and its very smooth exterior stays cleaner. Some of the other brands like IPL have a thicker wall and are more difficult to to put fittings in. Plus it is darker in color and not as smooth. As far as critters go, they bother me more in the summer than any other time. Some one once said it is because there is water in the lines and they have learned they can get a drink a lot closer to home if they chew through your line than having to go down to the local watering hole. Make sense to me.

syrupmaker
10-04-2003, 02:16 PM
Jim... our lines have been up 3 yrs now and only had trouble the first year.We were told that if you rise with bleach it leaves a residue that resembles salt and that will draw critters.The cure for it seemed to be a qiuck rise with clear water and we have had no trouble with the pests since.All though the closer water hole makes sense to me also.I know if beer is across the street, i wouldn't go a mile down the road for one.(right Mapleking) Good chili :oops:

mapleman3
10-04-2003, 07:31 PM
Hey by the way Joe and Rick.. how was the auction? any thing good????
Jim

PS.... looks like another syracuse trip next wed-thurs. sure you guys can't come that way for food out and a few beers??? too bad it's hours away from you :?

themapleking
10-04-2003, 08:14 PM
Lets see we had rain & hail at the auction. Rick walked out with nice vacum pump "cheap" The milk tank I was looking at went to high $$. Some guy started bidding on it before the auctioner could drop it down. Some people just can't wait (rookies). So we went out for beer & chili. nice cold day.

mapleman3
10-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Hmmmm wonder if Rick will sell me his old one hmmm?? HINT HINT HINT!!!
Jim