PDA

View Full Version : Lenox Step Bit / Uni Bit

warners point
02-07-2011, 11:14 PM
I am having some pans made up and was wondering if anyone has used a step bit to put holes in stainless for the drains/valves. Do they seem to hold up pretty good? I'm worried about spending the money and dulling it out after only a couple of holes.

xulgiy
02-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Yes, Don't skimp though. A nice uni-bit is worth it's weight in gold..:) Really the only way to get a nice cut. Don't try a hole saw it'll tear it up.

Bucket Head
02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Yes, they work good. Go slow with it. Speed kill's. You end up burning (heating up) the bit and the stainless. And once you have overheated the stainless, its harder to drill through. Probably won't happen with thin sap pan metal, but will happen with thicker stainless.

Steve

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-08-2011, 07:19 PM
It all depends on what you are drilling. I have seen step bits go through stainless like butter while sometimes it takes forever and kills the blade. If it is a flat surfase it should be relatively easy. And carbide tipped always helps.

If it is thick stainless drill a small pilot hole and use a jig/saber saw with a carbide blade and follow a circle drawn onto the stainless.

The only easy way would be a plasma cutter. And thats not too practical if you dont have easy acess to a machine shop.

maple flats
02-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Your best bet to make a perfect hole is to use a Greenlee Punch. They will make hundreds if not thousands of holes.

johnallin
02-08-2011, 09:41 PM
I had good luck with a step drill on my old half pint. Backed up the stainless by clamping a 2x and slowly drilled a hole for a thermometer. It worked great -can't say how many you could do though.

dnap63
02-08-2011, 09:51 PM
for drilling stainless, a cobalt bit is often used, they are a little more expensive but hold up better

b_mclarty
02-09-2011, 04:28 PM
I agree with the Greenlee punch recommendation. I've made close to 200 holes (made perforated stainless heat shields - too much time on my hands!) with one and it's still going strong. I also have a Lenox step bit that gets regular use. I agree with "get a good one" and watch your speed. It's easy to overheat by going too fast on a large hole.

warners point
02-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm going to check with one of the Sparkies at work to see if I can borrow a greenlee punch. I'll be getting a step bit too, just to have one on hand.

maple flats
02-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Borrowed Greenlees are the best kind. Just remember to return it so you can borrow things in the future.