PDA

View Full Version : sap question

afretired
02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Well I have two different set of trees tapped on two different farms. On the one farm I have about 100 red maple trees tapped with tubing, and at the other farm I have about 65 sugar maple trees tapped. The farms are about a mile apart and fairly much the same type of terrain. The one with the sugar maples I've got approx 140 gallons of sap each day for the past few days. At the other farm I have got approx 2 gallons of sap total. Any one have aany idea why there isn't any sap at the one farm?

David

Monster Maples
02-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Well I have two different set of trees tapped on two different farms. On the one farm I have about 100 red maple trees tapped with tubing, and at the other farm I have about 65 sugar maple trees tapped. The farms are about a mile apart and fairly much the same type of terrain. The one with the sugar maples I've got approx 140 gallons of sap each day for the past few days. At the other farm I have got approx 2 gallons of sap total. Any one have aany idea why there isn't any sap at the one farm?

David

It is a red maple!! They are picky tree's. Some days when sugar's are running they are, some days they aren't. Hook vac to them and they run almost just as good as sugar's all season until the end of the season. They usually will stop a week ahead of the sugar's.

3rdgen.maple
02-08-2011, 01:35 AM
Could be several reasons. Snow level, how they are effected by the wind, woods trees or roadsides, how much sun they are getting (canopy), on a hill if so which side N,E,S,W. or it just could be the reds arent ready yet. I have a few different sections of trees on my 100 acres that one is producing when another isnt then the next day the other one might and then theres days when they all do. And then there are seasons like last year when none do.

red maples
02-08-2011, 06:06 AM
Yep its the reds...sometimes they run sometimes they don't you need a vac on those reds for them to consistently produce!!!

Flat47
02-08-2011, 06:31 AM
As others have said, the reds are fickle. To add to it, they tend to have a shorter run and with less sugar content.

markct
02-08-2011, 05:22 PM
i put vac on my bush of about 80 percent reds, and wow on days my gravity lines would get like 5 gal off 100 taps my vac lines would give me a gallon a tap or more