PDA

View Full Version : Plastice Tote Tank

waysidemaple
02-07-2011, 06:48 PM
I have located a 275 gallon tank that had iodine in it. The guy says he has sold these tanks to other people for the use of sap storage. When I asked him if they were food grade he said they could be used for potable water but stayed away from saying they were actually food grade. He also said the plastic had a brownish tint from the iodine. He says he has other tanks that had vanilla extract in them but I wouldnt want those and the iodine were the way to go for sap storage. Im thinking this tank isnt the right way to go, but Im not sure. Any advice? Im pretty sure he was looking for the sale but who wouldn't.

adk1
02-07-2011, 07:20 PM
I would stay away from it

lpakiz
02-07-2011, 10:21 PM
I used iodine a couple times for disinfectant for washing the bulk tank. I blamed that for the "off-taste" syrup. i would not use it......

Harken
02-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Don't do it !!! I had a funky flavour on my syrup a few years ago that I traced back to a used pail that had iodine in it...that brown colour on the plastic is iodine residue and it will taint sap.

Ken

Haynes Forest Products
02-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Im allergic to Iodine and didnt know it until they used it to as a dye to find Kidny stones.......Dont use it

Maplewalnut
02-08-2011, 06:53 AM
I looked at these tanks to but did not buy from these people. The iodine tanks are stained brown as you would expect and look pretty rough. Remember iodine is a topical not meant to be ingested!

waysidemaple
02-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Okay thats all i needed to hear. I wont be going any further with those tanks. Thanks guys