PDA

View Full Version : Stock Tank

ADKMAPLE
02-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Looking at Stock Tanks for sap storage. they have the Rubbermaid version or the galvanized metal version. The galvanized metal is nearly 1/2 the price of the Rubbermaid. Does anyone use a standard stock tank for sap storage? I know producers around here that do.

jasonl6
02-07-2011, 11:00 AM
People use them all the time. They are cheap and made for watering livestock not storing foodgrade product. Just because others do it doesn't make it right. Chances are you will be ok. I use only SS tanks or foodgrade poly tanks.

Jason

adk1
02-07-2011, 11:08 AM
yeah I feel the same way for sure. I think the polyethelene tank is the way to go, I cant afford SS. I will consult again with the NA maple Producers Manual

western mainer
02-07-2011, 02:29 PM
http://www.tractorsupply.com/stock-tank-110-ga-2229862
This stock tank is made of LDPE and what I can find it's ok can any one tell if it isn't?
Brian

gmcooper
02-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Westernmainer
I had one of these for a short time last spring as they were out of rubbermaid brand. I really would not recommend one for sap. They are labeled "made from recycled material". They have kind of a funky texture and are not nearly the same as Rubbermaid. I would pick a galv. stock tank over it and that wouldn't be my first choice either.

adk1
02-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Would be real tough if not impossible to get it clean/sterile. I also noticed that is was recycled material, and that definatly shouldnt be used for holding sap.

Sugarbear
02-07-2011, 08:05 PM
I used to use a Rubbermaid tank and I would not recommend it. It was hard to keep clean it would get all "fuzzy" quickly.

adk1
02-07-2011, 08:10 PM
ok, boy I tell yeah, unless you can afford SS, you just have to weigh your options and make due.

Flat47
02-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Crud. Over the summer I picked up a Tuff Stuff brand 150 gallon tub to use as a head tank (not long term storage). It's recycled LDPE.

ADKMAPLE
02-08-2011, 08:55 AM
yeah, like I said, sometimes you just need to weigh your options. If the sap isnt gonna be stored in there for an extended period (a few days) then you will be fine. I plan on using a rubbermaid tote as a dump station. I still have not figured out what to use as a head sap storage tank. I will need around 120gal tank.

Dill
02-08-2011, 09:37 AM
I use stock tanks for sap collection and for a head tank. I'm looking for another type for a head tank right now. Only one galv, and almost all of them are rubbermaid. What I don't like about the rubbermaid tubs is the location of the drain plug. They won't drain empty with that fitting. What I use for a head tank is a "horseman's choice". The fitting is good but there is an odd lip around the edge that make it impossible to completely rinse out.

Gandolf
02-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Try plastic-mart.com. I purchased a 200 gal hdpe tank last year

lastwoodsman
02-08-2011, 01:31 PM
I called Rubbermaid last year when looking at those tanks at Tractor Supply.

They told me they were not food grade. I told them the purpose I intended to use it for and they were quite adamant that they should not be used for that.
I didn't need to hear any more.

Since I am starting out new and am adding equipment, I make every effort to go with only food grade, every and anything.

I am not a chemist and have no idea how long sap can sit in the many different plastics and their bonding agents before they leach into it and I am not willing to take a chance.

Woodsman

adk1
02-08-2011, 01:39 PM
good point, I remember you posting that.

OneLegJohn
02-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Let's just say i'm VERY familiar with chemicals used to treat galvanize surfaces. Not good stuff. Watch the movie Erin Brockovich. Yeah, that is the same stuff used to treat galvanize surfaces. It is a catch 22. The older galvanized tanks and buckets don't have any of the surface treatment left from years of oxidation, however, the actual galv makeup probably contains lead. The newer galv material has a higher likelihood of active surface treatment chemicals (Erin Brockovich stuff) but the galv isn't as bad for you...mostly zinc, no lead. You can literally pick your poison! I can't speak for plastic, but I am a fan of stainless.

emo
02-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Check usplastic.com. I got a 20 gal vertical tank last year they currently list for $81, plastic-mart.com lists for $137.