PDA

View Full Version : Truly a sad day.

3rdgen.maple
02-06-2011, 06:08 PM
I lost part of my family today. My 14 year old Akita passed away. It is truly a sad day and she will be missed. I thought I would share a poem that a link was posted to on a thread when Haynes went through this not too long ago. It is a poem inspired by the Norse Legend and the Rainbow Bridge.

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.
For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.
No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.
They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.
The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together

C.Wilcox
02-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Really sorry to hear about your dog 3rdgen. I'm sure you did your best to give her a good life and she'll rest happy.

3rdgen.maple
02-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks Wilcox now if I can only get the sap to run out of the trees like they did my eyes today I will be a little happier but not much.

briansickler
02-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Yeah, that's a tough one. Sorry to here the bad news. The bond between a man and his dog can be a strong one. She had a good long run though. I'm sure you made her life a happy one. Remember the joy she gave to you. Take care.

Brian

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Sorry 3rdgen for your loss I know how it feels, we lost our 14 yr shep.lab just over a yr ago. We had him cremated and sits on our hutch.

red maples
02-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Sorry man!! we've been there too. You know the time is coming but you can never truely prepare yourself for the inevitable!!!

danno
02-07-2011, 09:20 AM
3rd Gen - very, very sorry for your loss. They certainly become a very important part of any family and it sounds from the way you live your life, your dog was very lucky to share in your family as you were in his/hers.

morningstarfarm
02-07-2011, 09:21 AM
you have my deepest sympathies..a good friend told something that did help me move on when I lost my heeler last year..she had been my truck dog for 14 years..never a day apart...anyways, she told me that the reason dogs don't live forever is that there are other dogs that need the chance to share your love...didnt help right off..but it sure did when the time came for another one...

Haynes Forest Products
02-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Its undescribable how an old dog that sits around the house all day makes a mess of the yard and gets in the way can bring a grown man to tears when their gone:cry: I feel your pain it takes time Take care

talahi maple products
02-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Sorry 3rdgen. Know where ya coming from. . Next to losing my dad a couple years ago, Losing my 10 yr old golden retriever (copper) was the saddest day of my 50+ years.

3rdgen.maple
02-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Thank you everyone for the thoughts. I was digging up every ounce of courage I had to take her to the vets today and I knew what had to be done but the old girl decided to go on her own I guess. My GSP wont leave my side
since it happened, think she is missing her too. I have accepted alot of things in life but to think a dog can bring a man to his knees is truly amazing. Rest in Peace old girl.

Sugarmaker
02-07-2011, 05:51 PM
3rdgen,
Sorry to hear about your dog. Still missing mine a year later.
Hope the healing begins and the memories never leave you.
Chris