PDA

View Full Version : Getting closer

ehausinfrats
02-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Got all the buckets washed and the storage tanks cleaned. All the tap lines washed. More wood than I will ever use.
I would say the last thing I need to do is clean the evaporator and I'm ready.
If the weather breaks I'll tap around the 18th. We'll see.
Washing my 300 gallon storage tanks Saturday. I had a inch of snow on them before I could get them in the barn.
This weather will not quit.

Hope everyone else is close to being ready.

Eric

whalems
02-06-2011, 05:09 PM
I wish I was closer then I am!:( I got the roof on the temporary shack. Need to sheet the walls tomorrow. Then move the evaporator in insulate and brick. Set up head tank run about 400 more taps and wash all the tanks. spent most of the winter rebuilding the arch so that has gotten me a bit behind. Ready or not here we go!!:o

twofer
02-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Oh man I hope the weather holds off for a bit. I still have more laterals to put up, cut in 300 drops, build a doghouse for the electric releaser and pump, and brick and plumb the arch.

The good news is today I got 800' of mainline hung. It was kind of peaceful being out there in the snow storm.

JBIV
02-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Man I can't wait!!

Just getting things washed up but I'll be ready.:mrgreen:

kirkhedding
02-07-2011, 06:06 AM
I've got everything cleaned and ready to tap. Just finished putting the finale touchs on a new 3X6 copula on the shack. Also built a new preheater for the evaporator. The old one only had about 14 ft. of 3/4" copper. The new one has 76 ft. of 3/4" copper. Looking to get that stuff coming out at around 200 degrees. Can't wait for the season to start as long as it's a longer season than last year. Good luck to everyone.

Kirk

firetech
02-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Well we are ready to go for 350 taps the sugarhouse needs a quick cleaning and the evaporator needs put together. But that's only a day away. In the mean time we are putting wall finish up on the glutten free bakery area. Looks like a 5 day run at best then the temps drop back for a while. Then we will get after the next 200 taps for the balance of the season. I had the get that pile lumber off the floor and out of the way. We are working on a preheater for this year also 150 foot of 3/4 copper in the hood. Good luck to all !!!!!!!!!!

Tweegs
02-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Aye!

If you trust accuweather, looks like this weekend would be the start. Think I’ll wait and see what they say come Friday.

I need to wash out the tanks and plumb the nurse tank to the evaporator. Would have had the tank plumbed in yesterday, BUT I BOUGHT THE WRONG FREAKING SIZE FITTING…man, I hate when that happens.

Got one bad saddle to replace in the woodlot, and other than the plumb job, I’m good to go.

Let-R-Rip!

michiganfarmer2
02-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Man I can't wait!!

:

You say that NOW,lol. BY the end of the season we will all be saying "screw this" lol

michiganfarmer2
02-07-2011, 01:07 PM
get plenty of sleep NOW,lol.

We dont tap till after the first of march aorund here

xyz5150
02-07-2011, 02:15 PM
accuweather is about 10 degrees warmer than nooa and the weather channel for next week. A week ago accuweather had this week in the 40's too looks like they only missed it by about 25 degrees.

jtapczynski
02-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Hi,
I'm a maple sugaring hobbyist and I've been doing it for a number of years now. This will be my second year with a Leader Half Pint. Typically, I don't go out and tap until the daytime temperature reaches 40 degrees, but I'm seeing on the forums that many people tap earlier than that. Everything I've read says that the sap flows when it's below freezing at night and 40 degrees in the day. Is this a hard-fast rule or should I be tapping when the daytime temperature is 35 degrees? Any advice would be appreciated.

My sugarbush is in West barnch, MI. Thanks Again

ehausinfrats
02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
I think its a personal preference. I like to get going early so if it gets to warm I quit. I hate the mold issues in the buckets/tanks you can get on a warm afternoons late in the saeson. Got the evaporator washed today. Buckets in the truck. Tapping stuff packed. Man theres alot of snow to trudge through!
Looks like I could be tapping as early as Friday this week acording to the weather. If I do tap it definatley will be the ealiest I have tapped.

Cya

Eric

michiganfarmer2
02-08-2011, 07:23 AM
I like to plan my season around when snow really starts going away. Snow really keeps the trees cold, and they seem to run better as the snow receeds

TF Maple
02-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Hi,
I'm a maple sugaring hobbyist and I've been doing it for a number of years now. This will be my second year with a Leader Half Pint. Typically, I don't go out and tap until the daytime temperature reaches 40 degrees, but I'm seeing on the forums that many people tap earlier than that. Everything I've read says that the sap flows when it's below freezing at night and 40 degrees in the day. Is this a hard-fast rule or should I be tapping when the daytime temperature is 35 degrees? Any advice would be appreciated.

Excuse me for butting in on the Michigan thread. Some people are tapping early because they have so many taps to put in. They can't wait until the warm weather comes to start drilling because they wouldn't get all their taps in on time to catch the first run.
Also if you have vacuum, tapping early works but with gravity it is better to wait for better temps because on gravity the taps can dry up faster from bacteria.

Yes, a daytime temp of 40 degrees F would be ideal but there can be some slow sap runs at lower temps.

michiganfarmer2
02-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes, a daytime temp of 40 degrees F would be ideal but there can be some slow sap runs at lower temps.

and if there is 3 feet of snow in the woods, the trees dont get warmed up much anyway

Ausable
02-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Hi,

Howdy - You already have some good advice and I was gonna keep my trap shut -- But - then I saw where You tap I had to jump in --- When the Mrs. and I go on one of our anti-cabin fever shopping missions - we go over to West Branch and then to Prudenville - Houghton Lake 0n old M-55. It is about 15 mile of hilly roads thru some of the most beautiful maples I have ever seen in my life - (always notice the maples) Is that where You Tap?
---Oh yeh--- You have the conditions right on as to when to tap and I usually start between the last week of Feb and the 1st of March - and pull taps when I get tired of it or the sap starts getting too buddy. -- Best of Luck this Season ----- Mike

beetree
02-08-2011, 07:08 PM
The guy I bought my first outfit from had 20 years of taping date records. It looked like the third weekend in February was the average for us here in Hillsdale co. Seems like we always get a good thaw about then. I'm planing on firing up the old dewalt at day break on the 19th. Cant wait!

user587
02-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Hi guys,

OK, I need a little advice - it's my first year. Should I tap on Sat.? The weather forecast starting Sunday (as of this morning) is 30/37, 29/35, 27/35, 28/36, 30/36, 20/34, 27/34. It seems like that's sap-flow weather, but Feb 12 is pushing "mid-to-late Feb".

(I have all gravity taps, 10% on tubing, 90% sap sacs)

Thanks!

Tweegs
02-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Scott

I’m seriously considering it.

Both Accuweather and the weather channel are predicting optimal conditions for the next couple of weeks. (I think accuweather is overstated and TWC understated).

I take Wednesdays off through the season, and what I may do is wait until next Wed to tap. That will give the woods 3 days to thaw and give me a chance to look at the extended forecast from there on out.

After last year, I’m reluctant to wait. Tapped about a week late, then only really had one good week.

michiganfarmer2
02-10-2011, 08:34 AM
only gona be 40 here, and only for a few days Still too much snow around the trees. My plan is still the 10th of march

michiganfarmer2
02-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Hi guys,

OK, I need a little advice - it's my first year. Should I tap on Sat.? The weather forecast starting Sunday (as of this morning) is 30/37, 29/35, 27/35, 28/36, 30/36, 20/34, 27/34. It seems like that's sap-flow weather, but Feb 12 is pushing "mid-to-late Feb".

(I have all gravity taps, 10% on tubing, 90% sap sacs)

Thanks!

if ALL the snow is away from the trees, you might get a run, but if yu have lots of snow, 40 degrees isnt warm enough. I think.

LawnMowerMan
02-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Last year was my first year and we had a warm up around the 24th of feb (like 38 and sunny) I could not wait and went to pop a few taps in and was shocked at how fast it was running....Now these tree were up on a hill and in full sun all day so im sure that helped, the sun hit the trees at sunrise. Now the trees we had closer to lake michigan did not even start running till March last year. (cloudy all the time there and no direct sunlight)

Ill do the same next week...up to 40 by next friday. I think it will at least get things going if there is sun...if its cloudy and 39 I will probably wait..but maybe not...haha....as soon as I can get final prep done ill tap....Then again I am small so I can tap everything in 1 day.

I actually boiled my first batch on Feb 28th last year!

This year we have ALOT more snow out by lake michigan than we had last year so I am sure that will make a differance.

flyfishbob
02-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Looks like it my happen this next week!!!!! (Are We Ready For Some Sap)

Man I can't wait!!

You say that NOW,lol. BY the end of the season we will all be saying "screw this" lol
And your right....michiganfarmer2 8-O

twofer
02-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Ughhhh I wish you guys would stop talking about it. Every time someone posts in this thread the 10 day weather report gets a little warmer and I still have lots to do. :)

Come on Canadian air!

michiganfarmer2
02-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Ughhhh I wish you guys would stop talking about it. Every time someone posts in this thread the 10 day weather report gets a little warmer and I still have lots to do. :)

Come on Canadian air!

LOL. why is it we dont get everything all ready in November? We are always cramming in march...er february

danno
02-10-2011, 03:28 PM
LOL. why is it we dont get everything all ready in November? We are always cramming in march...er february

Because what I have discovered is that there is ALWAYS more to do to get ready. I think if we got ready in November, we'd still be scrambling now:)

twofer
02-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Hey, I have a good excuse. In November the sugarhouse was still under construction even though it had been started in July. **** big box store package and missing parts. :mad:

Oh and it was deer season. :)

ehausinfrats
02-10-2011, 05:42 PM
I am tapping Saturday and Sunday. You know that the weather determines when to tap... not a date on the calandar. I assembled the evaporator and tested last night. Man was it cold! Everthing is washed and prepped. Truck is loaded with buckets to put out. Battery's are charged for drills. Once i get the buckets out all i have to do is set my storage tank in the pickup and fill it will hundreds of gallons of sap. I hope the snow melts quickly

Good luck everyone

Eric

BoarsNest
02-10-2011, 06:08 PM
I stopped at Sugar Bush Supplies and the gal I talked to said that she felt people tap to early. They usually tap after March 1st and find that they do just as well but it's a more concentrated season because their taps don't dry out like those that tap early. I'm anxious to go, but I think I will wait at least another week...... unless the 10 day forecast Saturday looks really good.:rolleyes:

michiganfarmer2
02-11-2011, 01:53 PM
I am tapping Saturday and Sunday. You know that the weather determines when to tap... not a date on the calandar.

Eric

I agree. Ill be curious to hear how your season goes, and I hope you dont get 3 weeks of constant freezing temps after this thaw.

shane hickey
02-11-2011, 02:26 PM
I agree. Ill be curious to hear how your season goes, and I hope you dont get 3 weeks of constant freezing temps after this thaw. I'll have to agree with you both I''ll be tapping monday, And with sugar bush supplies they usally tap to late that's why they made a 150 gallons on 2200 taps they waited way to long. I always told Rick to tap a little earlier. Good luck to you all. shane

BoarsNest
02-11-2011, 04:51 PM
I'll have to agree with you both I''ll be tapping monday,

Shane, How long does it take for you to tap? I only tap 100 trees so I can do it in an afternoon.

Tweegs
02-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Looking at the 15 day forecast from accuweather and averaging those temps with the weather channel, it looks to me like it’s on.

Today it is supposed to hit 30, yet as I type at 0830 this morning, I’m watching the icicles drip. Tomorrow is going to 38 here, and a solid freeze/thaw cycle predicted for the rest of the forecast, right into March.

I’m going to get the woods set up today and tap tomorrow. With any amount of luck, we’ll be able to sweeten the pans Wednesday.

ehausinfrats
02-12-2011, 06:19 PM
I put in 4 taps on rouadside trees and stopped. Both were dry. Nothing running. Even the shavings from the sapwood were dry. Looks like its still a but early. Going to wait and see when the 2 trees I tap start running to tap more.

Eric

firetech
02-12-2011, 07:18 PM
We are still working in the sugar house last four days but now I have 4 more intior walls finished. Looks kinda cool with a that rustic cotton wood on the walls. Tommorrow its wash the steel walls, run some laterals,move in the new feed tank platform, tractor club meeting and a 4-H meeting. Man how can I afford to go to work???? We will be tapping this week and ready for boiling later in the week.

holey_bucket
02-12-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm thinking Sunday morning. Unless the weather report drastically changes. If it isn't Sunday, it is SOON!

Shane, did you have anything in your buckets or tanks after Saturday night when my brother and I left?

flyfishbob
02-12-2011, 11:28 PM
BoarsNest
(I only tap 100 trees)

I like this.... only is a lot of work.......

Sunday.... Game on.....

BoarsNest
02-13-2011, 06:40 AM
Only is a lot of work! hopefully I get the help I need or the back will be stiff. Like that's anything new.

Tweegs
02-13-2011, 07:15 AM
hopefully I get the help I need or the back will be stiff. Like that's anything new.

Indeed!

I set some of my buckets yesterday, those that were in full sun along the driveway. Most were weeping, nothing I would call a run, but there was a little sap movement.

Need to flush out and set the holding tank this morning, rinse out the pans, then check on those buckets. If things are moving, I’m tapping.

Checked all the tubing yesterday, squirrel damage on one drop and a lateral, easy fix, but we may be having squirrel for dinner. :D

Ausable
02-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Yesterday - I plowed a path between some of the maples and tapped five just for fun -- nothing yet. Think I'll do it again today and force the season to start early -- LOL -- Mike

holey_bucket
02-14-2011, 06:03 AM
I tapped 20 trees on Sunday the 13th. Maybe 1/3 were dripping before I could get the spiles in the hole. Nothing I would consider a "run", but they are dripping. Now I talk smack to the weather and drink coffee.

adk1
02-14-2011, 06:21 AM
walked lines for 5 hours yesterday. alot of them down and in the snow. wont tap until the end of Presidents week

3rdgen.maple
02-14-2011, 10:48 AM
walked lines for 5 hours yesterday. alot of them down and in the snow. wont tap until the end of Presidents week

I thought you did not have anything up yet and still in planning stages.

Spirit Hill
02-14-2011, 11:02 AM
I have 19 taps in 8 trees. I'm a small producer that makes syrup for our own use and to give as gifts. I taped my trees on Friday Feb 11 and 4 of them had started dripping Sunday the 13th. Haven't checked yet today, but weather for the upcoming week looks Iffy with night time temps above freezing several nights of the week.

adk1
02-14-2011, 11:11 AM
3rdgen - as I have said, I assist a local producer and have for a few years. They have a pretty nice operation.

JBIV
02-14-2011, 01:59 PM
I put in 30 taps on Sunday, not a drip.

BoarsNest
02-14-2011, 05:57 PM
I got home from work and tapped the red in the front yard. Pretty dry. This is my test tree to help me figure out my tapping for the rest.

holey_bucket
02-14-2011, 06:30 PM
I tapped Sunday the 13th, and today I had several trees with at least a gallon in the pails. I have 20 pails out. I am optimistic that tomorrow will be at least as good. And Wed I expect to be phenomenal.

Wierd that the big trees nearer to the south edge of the woods didn't produce much today. The big producers for me were the trees about 14" in diameter nearer to the middle of the woods. :?:

Ausable
02-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Mark -- Glad the sap is flowing over Grand Rapids way. I have 25 trees tapped now and about a cup of sap to show for the effort.... But - that to shall change --- lol -- I hope -- Hope the sap continues to flow for You --- Mike

firetech
02-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Well I could'nt wait any longer. We set 4 groups of our yard trees tonite (90 taps). Had one hole that looked like there was a drop of sap in it, they were all dry today. Plan on getting the rest of the yard trees done tommorow. Then to tubing the roadsides. My daughter is setting 25 taps at her house and my brother is setting 80-90 taps on a farm on his way home from work. Brother in law is building up my drops life is so good with family help. God Bless them all. Oh I've never had this before but 1 yard still had the Christmas lites on the maples set tap between the wires. Maybe we should plug them in and warm up the trees.

beetree
02-14-2011, 08:28 PM
The weather man and my wife talked me into starting early this year. I'v never seen the little women so excited about syrup season. Maybe She'll let me buy that RO, and double the number of taps next year! We put out about 900 yesterday.Hope to get the rest out on Sat. I checked one of the main lines on my way home from work today,it was two drips to the hart beat with 100 taps up hill from it. I guess that's good considering I'm not ready in the sap shack yet.

Tweegs
02-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Not much to show for it all here either. Might get a late day run today, 16 this morning heading for 38 this afternoon, but by the time things warm up in the woods... <shrug>

Very little sap from the all tubing, maybe 3 gallons total. Perhaps another 3 or 4 gallons in the buckets I checked. 6 gallons won’t even fill the flue pan. :lol:

Still taking tomorrow off. Got a long run of 5/16 with 15 taps on it that might be sagging a bit. Used more wood for the house this winter than in previous years and I’m getting a little anxious about how much I have on hand, would be a good day to lay in another cord or two for good measure, split it as needed. Also still have 20 or so taps to get out on buckets yet.

Sure wish I could retire, I don’t have time to go to work. :)

michiganfarmer2
02-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Sure wish I could retire, I don’t have time to go to work. :)

:lol::lol::lol:

michiganfarmer2
02-15-2011, 07:52 AM
I'll have to agree with you both I''ll be tapping monday, And with sugar bush supplies they usally tap to late that's why they made a 150 gallons on 2200 taps they waited way to long. I always told Rick to tap a little earlier. Good luck to you all. shane

OUCH!!!! 150 gallons? Id be sick

michiganfarmer2
02-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Not much to show for it all here either.

how much snow do you have?

michiganfarmer2
02-15-2011, 07:58 AM
here around traverse, the temps are supose to drop back down to freezing for all next week. I hope this warm up gets rid of a bunch of snow. I dont think the trees around here would do much wiht all this snow even if we got 50 degrees over the next few days. Just too much snow keepping the trees too cold

Tweegs
02-15-2011, 08:04 AM
how much snow do you have?

With the warm up we had, maybe 6 to 8 inches still on the ground in some of the deeper areas. I expect all but where I have it piled will be gone by the weekend.

Melody Bee Farms
02-15-2011, 09:44 AM
600 out 1600 to go. We got about 3 quarts per tap in ada yesterday hopefully finish hanging buckets on weds

arics
02-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Just north of Grand Rapids. Put out 43 taps on drops with the family on Sunday afternoon. Tuesday's rounds netted 5 gallons with the hope of more as things warm up later this week.

michiganfarmer2
02-16-2011, 12:40 PM
With the warm up we had, maybe 6 to 8 inches still on the ground in some of the deeper areas. I expect all but where I have it piled will be gone by the weekend.

fantastic. we still have 2 feet in the woods

BoarsNest
02-16-2011, 04:54 PM
My test tree had maybe 2 cups in the sap bag today. I think it's still pretty early to run good.

arics
02-16-2011, 06:17 PM
North of GR - Wednesday rounds put 20 gallons into the storage tank. If this keeps up we'll be boiling this weekend.

holey_bucket
02-16-2011, 06:32 PM
My 20 trees gave me about 15gal today. Combined with what I have from the last two days, my stock pot is cook'n!

Tweegs
02-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Had a modest run today, knew we would, in all, about 75 gallons of sap today.

Took the day off to make sure all the tubing was flowing right and set the last few buckets.

Nice day, 95% of the trees were running. Took the time to measure the sugar content on each of the buckets and any trees on tubing I had to mess with to get them right. Readings ranged from 1.0% to 4.3% with an average of all trees at 2.3%.

For you guys that took the sugar bush management class with me up at the conference, it was interesting to note that the trees with the lower sugar content had restricted crowns and the trees with more developed crowns and better branch structure had the highest content. I’ve got some thinning to do.

Odd that I have one tree down in a bowl, huge sucker, measures over 30” in diameter, didn’t get a drop of sap out of it the last two years. This year I tapped it to 2” and today it was still bone dry. It’s early yet, there’s still hope, but man it seems stubborn.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-16-2011, 07:55 PM
tapped 100 on vac today. very little sap running trees havent thawed out yet

ehausinfrats
02-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Put out 120 taps tonight. Went well some were weeping. I am glad I waited till the snow melted. Sure was alot easier. 90 more taps to put out tomorrow.
Looks like good sugaring weather comming this weekend into next week.

Eric

michiganfarmer2
02-18-2011, 05:04 AM
freezing temps here around Traverse all throguh next weekend. Thats fine with me. I want more time to put more tubing out

ehausinfrats
02-18-2011, 07:11 PM
got the 90 taps out today. Still have 30 more to go... Man the wind is terrible. News said there was a 82 mph gust today. I beleive it!. I can't keep the bucket straight on the trees. Soon as I turn my back on them there dancing around. Unbelievable.
Collected 17 gal. The weather turned for the worst. Maybe Wednsday, Thursday next week. We will see. Had a blast with my son today tapping trees.

Eric

michiganfarmer2
02-19-2011, 05:06 AM
got the 90 taps out today. Still have 30 more to go... Man the wind is terrible. News said there was a 82 mph gust today. I beleive it!. I can't keep the bucket straight on the trees. Soon as I turn my back on them there dancing around. Unbelievable.
Collected 17 gal. The weather turned for the worst. Maybe Wednsday, Thursday next week. We will see. Had a blast with my son today tapping trees.

Eric

...and thats part of the addiction

bluebay
02-19-2011, 08:43 AM
That's a fact. I'm shooting for next weekend. Perfect timing just finishing up canning reserves from 2009. Man that snow went fast.

Tweegs
02-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Holy mackerel, Aunti-Em!

Significant damage to our make-shift sugar shack from the wind. One tree down across a main line, another across a lat, but no serious damage to either. A couple of big trees down in the wood lot, branches down everywhere, but at least they’re easy pickings for firewood.

Weather folks are calling for 4 to 8 inches tomorrow, a little ice mixed in for good measure. Lovely, freaking lovely.

Lots of work to do today.

dfederico
02-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Just got done taping my roadside maples, about 40 taps in all. A few were just starting to run around noon today (2/19), I have not set the bags out just yet because of the winds, but if I see any flow I will be setting out tonight. All next week seems like little to no chance of a run, so I am torn what to do!

dfederico
02-19-2011, 12:33 PM
The run is on in grass lake. Just started dripping about an hour ago. South facing taps 1 drip per 5 seconds, north side 1 per 20 seconds. Hopefuly it will last a few hours and make it worth my while to fire up the evapo.

glassman
02-19-2011, 05:22 PM
68 out in oil city. twenty or so left to put out on the north side of the drive. ran a bit today. looking for a good year.

ehausinfrats
02-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Got 50 gallons in the tank, everything went well... pumps, hose, no leaks! Should be boiling next weekend. Took me about 3 hours to run the taplines and button up afterward. We'll see how it goes when it's on strong?
Had fun watching my son drinking from a tapline. :lol:
Some pics for fun.

Eric

arics
02-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Started boiling at 10 am and just finished bottling 1+ gallon around 11 pm. Nice and sweet. Won't expect much from the trees over the week to come. Let's all hope for minimal tree damage and uninterrupted power if the ice hits as forecasted.

Ausable
02-20-2011, 04:43 PM
One of my Grand -daughters and her husband - picked up my old barrel rig - another generation getting hooked to the Maple Syrup addiction - smile -- Mike

michiganfarmer2
02-21-2011, 07:43 AM
worked on putting more high tensile wire, and mainliine out over the weekend.

I had abut 300 taps on tubing last year. Im hoping to double that this year. I had about 300 buckets out last year, and Im hoping to double that this year.

Tweegs
02-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Had a little bit of a run on Saturday, about 4 or 5 hours worth.

Got everything put back together after the wind storm, and fattened up the wood pile in the process. We should have enough now to see us through.

10 new inches of snow to contend with, I’m so happy I could just $%^&.

Weatherman says a run is coming Wed, gives me a couple of days to deal with the white stuff.

Sent the wife out to Sugar Bush on Saturday to pick up a few things, she got me one of those line level indicators. It wasn’t really what I expected, but once you get the hang of it, it works well. Fixed up a couple laterals that weren’t flowing as well as I thought they should, the level gauge showed me why. For $25, I think it was worth it.

michiganfarmer2
02-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Sent the wife out to Sugar Bush on Saturday to pick up a few things, she got me one of those line level indicators. It wasn’t really what I expected, but once you get the hang of it, it works well. Fixed up a couple laterals that weren’t flowing as well as I thought they should, the level gauge showed me why. For $25, I think it was worth it.

those are nice. I couldnt fiind mine yesterday so I bought my 2 foot level to the woods

JBIV
02-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Well I danced with the devil today and lost big time:mad:. Only had around 35 gallons of sap and thought I would do just a quick boil. I guessed wrong on the when to have the fire die and scorched my pan a little. I have it soaking in vinegar right now. Is there anything else I can do?

It’s my first time burning a pan so I guess the good news is I got that out of my way:rolleyes:.

dfederico
02-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Well I danced with the devil today and lost big time:mad:. Only had around 35 gallons of sap and thought I would do just a quick boil. I guessed wrong on the when to have the fire die and scorched my pan a little. I have it soaking in vinegar right now. Is there anything else I can do?

It’s my first time burning a pan so I guess the good news is I got that out of my way:rolleyes:.

Vinegar and a scotch brite pad can work if the scorch was not too bad, if that doesnt take care of it there is some acid that the syrup shops sell that certainly will. Probably a quick search on the web and you can find the active ingredient in that acid stuff and probably pick it up at one of the chain hardware stores for half the price. Good luck

michiganfarmer2
02-24-2011, 06:56 AM
IM still pluggin away. I have a lot of tubing to repair. Other than weekends, I can only work on it for abuot an hour per day after work duriing the week