PDA

View Full Version : How to determine syrup pan size vs flue pan size?

Bruce L
02-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Hi everyone,is there a ratio to determine syrup pan size vs flue pan?I received a quote on a 3'x 10' flue pan with a 3'x3' syrup pan,should I go longer,can I get too long?
Thanks,Bruce

briansickler
02-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Is the total evaporator 3 x 10? If so, a 3 x 7 flue pan is a good match with a 3 x 3 syrup pan in my opinion. Where did you get the quote from?....they should now this information I would think.

Bruce L
02-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Actually the total evaporator is 15'.The quote is from Leader,I was going with a 3' x 10' Max Flue pan,then a 3'x 3' revolution pan,then a 2' self-syrup pan in the front,but now wondering if I would be safer to go with a say 5' Revolution pan with automatic draw-off.

bobbyjake
02-06-2011, 07:29 PM
There are numerous combinations in the ratio of syrup to flue pans, but generally the syrup pan is square or W x W up to one and a half times the width or W x 1.5W. 2x6's are usually either 2'&4' or 3'&3', whereas 4'X14' are usually 4'&10', 5'&9' or 6'&8' although I'd say the last is the least popular combination these days. Occasionally on wide evaporators, say 5' and 6' wide, the syrup pan will be a foot short of square so 5' x 4' or 6' x 5'. Variations are often driven by the manufacture's design preferences, whether or not the flues could be damaged by wood, or somehow pieces an evap together by finding this arch and that pan and now they need to purchase the front pan to "fit-up".

For your particular evap, a 3' x 10', why is it 15' long? is it oil and you are counting the burner cover in the total length? Generally a 10' evap is about 11' to 11.5' total length without the burner.

A 10' evap will typically have a 3' and 7' or a 4' and 6' set of pans. If it is oil fired, you can go either way easily. If it is wood fired, and you go with a 3' and 7' you are going to have to be careful that you don't throw the (or push other) wood in too far and hit the flues. While modern day welded pans are certainly stronger than the pans of the past, they can still be damaged from the impact of firewood. That said, a 3'&7' set will outperform a 4'&6' by probably 20 gph.

bobbyjake
02-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I see now the 15', I mis-read the pan configuration the first time. Personnally, a revolution pan is the last choice for me, but that is me. Is there a reason you are trying to go so long and narrow? I would think a 3.5' x 12' would outperform the extra long 3' evap. Generally speaking, I'm all for longer evaps as they really get the most out of the heat, but there is a point where there isn't enough heat left when it gets to the back to make it really hop.

briansickler
02-06-2011, 07:55 PM
3 x 10 is the flue pan. The evap. is 3 x 15.

Brian