PDA

View Full Version : Adapting Bulk Tank To Pipe Thread?

briansickler
02-04-2011, 02:46 PM
I have a milk bulk tank i plan to use for sap. It has a bevel seat type (1.5") end coming out of the bottom of the tank. It is a DariKool brand. There are no other fittings or valve with it. There is no nut either. I'm looking for a good way to adapt this to regular pipe thread to go to a pump. Any ideas?

Brian

ennismaple
02-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Without a photo its hard to say but I do know we had to get a part custom machined when I stupidly broke the end off our bulk milk tank.

StayinLowTech
02-04-2011, 03:23 PM
How about a Fernco fitting?

woodshillmaple
02-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I have a bulk tank as well with a 1.5" outlet. I used a fernco to pvc pipe and then to a ball valve. Worked fine. It was a little tough getting the fernco to slip over the lip of the outlet pipe but it was a cheap and easy solution.

Sugarmaker
02-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Yes I have seen the FERNCO used several times on thes tanks.
Another way would be to have someone weld in a stainless half coupling with a std pipe thd. Very solid and permenate too.
I have 4 of these Dari-Kool tanks, fortunatly I got the shut off valves with them and the nuts too. On one I took the nut and the small plate inside the nut and had it drilled and tapped for 1 inch NPT worked great.
Chris

G.Rainville
02-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Go to your closest dairy equipment dealer and purchase a new stainless steel nut and nipple. They should be pretty universal so that they can accomadate different milk haulers. I think I paid around 40$ for mine. Then I bought a stainless threaded nipple and had it welded to the nipple. It works great and is very sturdy. Good luck.

G.Rainville
02-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Sugarmaker didn't mean to copy you, I'm a really slow one finger typer

Dave Y
02-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Check out this link http://www.stpats.com/index.htm

briansickler
02-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Here's what I have.... see photo. Dave, I didn't see any bevel seat adapters on that link....mainly tri-clamp.

Brian Ryther
02-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Brian,
Hire me to come and cut it off and weld a npt nipple to it. I am 20 minuites from you.

maple flats
02-04-2011, 06:55 PM
These two suppliers can get the nut (in SS or plastic) and a hose adapter. Fisher farms 315-697-7039 in Canastota, NY or Eastern Crown Inc. 315-829-3505 in Vernon, NY. Both have helped me out in the past. I have 2 of the set ups, I use an original SS nut on one with a plastic spout (that I clamp a hose to) and two others have a plastic nut and the plastic spout. They can match all makes I think. The last I got from Fisher, about a month ago, the plastic nut was under $9 and the spout was almost $21. That spout was straight, I do not know if you could get an angled one, but I would think yes.

Sugarmaker
02-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Yep thats a Dari kool alright:)
If brian could get in there and weld a 1 inch or 1.5 inch stainless half coupling might set right in the bevel and he could weld it on? Might be tight and depends if the tank is elevated so he scould get around it. Would sure be permenate and leak proof. Thos milk fittings have a tendency to leak a little.

G Rain' not a problem we are all trying to help.

I took the skin, insulation and water jacket off all my tanks. They are much lighter and the stainless can be used for other projects. If you want any of the tricks let me know.

Chris

mike z
02-05-2011, 06:22 AM
Check Ebay for "bevel seat". They have exactly what you need if you are willing to pay (bevel seat X NPT). They also list bevel seat X hose (much cheaper). Occasionally one will come up that is bevel X tri clamp. I think there is one listed now for $40.00. I got one for $12.00 a few months ago. They do come up now and then for this cheaper price. But time is running out. Good Luck - MZ

Dave Y
02-05-2011, 07:18 AM
type in sanitary fittings in to your search engine. I saw them some where when I was looking for fittings.http://www.rjsales.com/products/sanitary_fit/bevel/ada.html

farmall h
02-05-2011, 08:39 AM
I believe you can remove the entire plate and take it somewhere to have welded with regular NPT fittings. Those milk tank fittings leak and are a pain in the a--!

Dan W
02-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Graingers sells sanitary fittings too.

briansickler
02-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks everyone. I ordered the adapter today. It comes with the nut and goes from 1.5" bevel seat to 1.5" male npt. I bought it on ebay. Thanks to your pointers, I found them all over the place. Have a good one.:D

Brian