PDA

View Full Version : Question About Temporarily Closing a Tap

Logan Cabin
02-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Hi All,

First, thanks to everyone for their input to this site. This has been a great resource for me as I've started.

Now the question. I live in southern Indiana and our family has a cabin on about 30 acres in Butler County, Kentucky. I'm heading down this weekend to tap some trees. Is it possible to "close up" a tap in some fashion and then return to it later? I'll only have a few days this week and would hope to be able to return later in the season, weather permitting.

If temporary closing is OK, would a simple tapered dowel do the trick?

adk1
02-04-2011, 01:16 PM
not really, because what causes the sap to stop flowing is the build up of bacteria in the hole. Why would you want to close it up?

3rdgen.maple
02-04-2011, 02:22 PM
I cannot believe Im going to say this and guys please do not take any maple credits away from me for this but in your case Log Cabin, ( here it goes) ( insert big sighhhhhhh here) let them drip on the ground.:cry: until you return to collect and boil again.

briansickler
02-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi,

You would be better off leaving the tree tapped and let the sap run onto the ground until you return. Hopefully, when you return it will still be running clear good sap. If you return too late the sap won't be any good anyway. Especially if there is a lot of warm weather.

Brian

ADKMAPLE
02-04-2011, 02:25 PM
maybe see if someone can do the work for you for a trade off?

briansickler
02-04-2011, 02:30 PM
The thought of good sap running onto the ground makes me shutter. That reminds me of a nightmare I once had.:lol: It took me weeks to get over it.:o

Brian

3rdgen.maple
02-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Yeah Im having daymares after just saying it let alone doing it. What was I thinking?

whalems
02-04-2011, 02:35 PM
I had to do this last year for about a week at the end of the season:mad: I just finished my last therapy session this week:o:rolleyes:

mike z
02-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Not always easy to do, but could you time your visit for the peak of the season flow. A friend of mine does this. He taps his trees one weekend, puts out 5 gal. buckets that collect all week, then he boils the next weekend. Then he pulls taps and calls it good. I know, very shameful, but he always seems to time that week perfectly.

Logan Cabin
02-05-2011, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. Last year must have been beginners luck, as I was able to time a week's visit perfectly to the weather. This year I was hoping for an earlier start, as we have an art show in two weeks to prep for. I had tapped two trees when we were here a week ago. First 18 hours had nearly 5 gallons of sap. Come back today and barely 2 gallons in both 5 gallon buckets. Oh well!

Did a test boil on the homemade file cabinet arch tonight. At least that went well. I had figured that sugaring 185 miles from home could be problematic. At least I'll have access to some trees at home for later in the season.

BryanEx
02-05-2011, 05:27 AM
Did a test boil on the homemade file cabinet arch tonight.
File cabinet? I don't suppose you have a photo of your arch? That's one I'd be really curious to see but if it's working for you... good thinking for a home made rig.

- Bryan

Logan Cabin
02-05-2011, 11:53 AM
I'll try to post pics in the "homemade equipment" section when I get the chance. Posting now from the boonies using iPhone & non 3-g connection would be futile.

Credit for the file cabinet idea goes to HA HA 1, who mentions using one in his signature.