PDA

View Full Version : Where's the sap?

afretired
02-03-2011, 07:27 PM
I've been working about as hard as I can lately trying to get ready for the maple flow. I know it was flowing a week or so ago but I wasn't ready. Anyway I've now got 150 tapped and the sugar house finished to the point I can operate. The last few days I've been getting tired of walking down to the woods to see if anything is flowing. Anybody ever try squeezing the trees to get a little out?

David

twitch
02-03-2011, 07:52 PM
May be you can ring them out like a rag. i tape a white maple that is in my yard to tell when is running saves a lot of time.

Sugarmaker
02-03-2011, 08:30 PM
David,
We hug ours a lot and whisper to them too. Seems to work in PA. Better do this at night!
Chris

Monster Maples
02-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Why at night? So nobody see's you? Good plan, if someone were to see you they might send you away, put one of those really neat white vests on you so you can hug yourself all day long. And put you in one of those really comfy rooms with padding all around you.:lol:

afretired
02-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Well I tried your suggestions, and it worked to some degree. Today out of about 150 taps I got a quart of sap. I probably am not doing it right. When you get a chance could you post a few pictures on how you hug them, and by the way what exactly do you whisper to them?

David

Mark72
02-04-2011, 07:09 PM
David, Try whispering sweet nothings to the sun, Maybe that will help!

Mark

cvmaple
02-06-2011, 07:37 AM
It'll come. You sure have been busy building that beautiful sugar house. So just consider this a bit of a rest break. good luck!

cvmaple