PDA

View Full Version : Longmeadow, MA - Tapping 2/4

PapaSmiff
02-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm probably wasting my time, but I'm going to tap at least one of my backyard trees tomorrow. We are expecting a few days of "high 30's" and i want to see if i will get anything.

I snowblowed a path to each of the trees, so it won't be much trouble. Let's see if I get anything this weekend!

mapleman3
02-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Good Luck, doubt with all the snow that the trees will give up more than a few drops.... may be in too early and close up on ya before the good runs. try just a couple test taps.

PapaSmiff
02-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Yeah, they also changed the forecast. It's not going to be as warm as they originally thought. May wait another week.

Farmboy
02-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Im in East longmeadow and I dont plan on tapping till the presidents day.

dgp219
02-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Easy boys, it's coming! Stay :cool: !

PapaSmiff
02-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Well . . . I went and done it. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I put it four taps today. The weather report said it would get to 40 degrees or above, so I did it. Maybe I'll get enough sap for a 1/2 pint of syrup. :rolleyes: I'll probably be boiling during the Super Bowl.

PapaSmiff
02-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Well I got about 2 1/2 gallons of sap from four taps. Most of it came from two taps in one tree. Boiled it down in the Turkey Fryer and got about 250 ml and a Nip. I gave the NIP to my 3-yr old grandson. He was thrilled!

It is a perfect light amber and tastes GREAT!!:D

We probably won't get any good weather until Monday 2/14. But the Season has begun!!

Brian Ledoux
02-09-2011, 09:06 AM
You're early season taps have almost beat my production from the entire season last year and I had 100 taps out! :)

PapaSmiff
02-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Yeah, last year was not great for anybody.

Luckily, with such a small number of trees, I can get some taps out when I get a favorable weather report. But now they have "sapsicles" coming out of the spiles. No good weather for at least a week.

I'm itching to get some more light amber so I can try making candy for the first time. The 250 ML bottle is just about empty. I had my grandson, and the rest of my family, over for breakfast and we nearly finished it.

morningstarfarm
02-09-2011, 10:55 AM
hehe sapsicles seal the tap holes don't they?...so no bacteria can get it..should last months like that with no problem...

PapaSmiff
03-31-2011, 03:57 PM
I've pulled most of my taps, since most of them have stopped running. I still have two that are pumping out sap pretty well. But after the snowstorm, I will pull them.

Had an EXCELLENT year! :) I got the equivalent of about 4 to 4 1/2 gallons of syrup from 8 taps. Not a bad year.

Now it's time to upgrade next year!