PDA

View Full Version : Starter Pan

4th Maple Generation
02-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Good afternoon!
I have the opportunity to do some public programing through my job and I have decided to have a "How To" clinic on Maple Syrup. The problem is I now live Iowa so although have have been given the green light on this project, I was only given $100.00 to have a trial year this year because maple syrup is pretty unheard of and hoepfully then next year funding for all the equipment will come. This year I only have the resources to tap 8-10 trees, so I plan to boil my sap on a propane grill. My question is, what would be the best, and most inexpensive type pan with the largest surface area I can use that will help minimize boiling time. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

emo
02-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Depending on the size of your grill, check with a restaurant supply store for steam tray pans. A "full" size tray is about 1'x2'. I use 3 over a block arch and found that 1 will about cover my propane grill. I use 6" deep trays and they cost about $20 each. I was not able to get too hard of a boil over the grill, so might be able to get away with a 4" deep pan.

whalems
02-03-2011, 12:56 PM
I would try a steam table pan and maybe put some fire bricks around it to try to help keep some of the heat in. Pretty inexpensive you can find them used from a resturant supply. Good luck, Mike

whalems
02-03-2011, 12:57 PM
emo types faster then me:lol:

moeh1
02-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Read the OPs name quick and thought 3rdGen's children were on his computer:lol:

If you have any used restaurant supply places they generally have a selection of misc. pans reasonable. If not, I've found some good online prices at katom

Marty

Ausable
02-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Good afternoon!
I have the opportunity to do some public programing through my job and I have decided to have a "How To" clinic on Maple Syrup. The problem is I now live Iowa so although have have been given the green light on this project, I was only given $100.00 to have a trial year this year because maple syrup is pretty unheard of and hoepfully then next year funding for all the equipment will come. This year I only have the resources to tap 8-10 trees, so I plan to boil my sap on a propane grill. My question is, what would be the best, and most inexpensive type pan with the largest surface area I can use that will help minimize boiling time. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

The Pan suggestions are all good ones --- However -- You are going to boil on a propane grill? Ok if it puts out a good flame - so you can get a good boil going. If not - Many of us have used the propane burners on turkey cookers - they are large and You can really get some heat out of them and they are easy to acquire. Best of Luck -- Mike

RileySugarbush
02-03-2011, 07:22 PM
That was my first years setup. Gas grill and steam table pan. Very very slow. I think you might be better off if you can find a gas turkey fryer.

Edit: I guess Ausable and I agree!

3rdgen.maple
02-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Read the OPs name quick and thought 3rdGen's children were on his computer:lol:

If you have any used restaurant supply places they generally have a selection of misc. pans reasonable. If not, I've found some good online prices at katom

Marty

I checked and they are all sleeping, besides they wouldnt talk maple they would be talking about hockey. But back to the question asked. Here is the thought going through my mind. A propane setup will probably cost you more than $100 bucks just in gas alone. I would get yourself a restaraunt pan, and some concrete blocks and some good old dried wood and make a temporary arch. $100 bucks is not going to go a long ways so maybe some beg borrowing and stealing is in order. Time to go scrappin. A hydrometer and filter alone just ate up a 3rd of it. Also check some local bakeries for free icing buckets and whatever you do please dont buy a garbage can to store sap. Big no no.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Might check ebay as there would likely be a good cheap pan on there or maybe one of the trader members has an extra one??

PapaSmiff
02-04-2011, 06:43 AM
I still use a Turkey Fryer. I may need to get a second one this year, if the sap run is good. (hoping!) Someone else suggested to me that I try a Camp Stove (15,000 BTU) and a Steam Pan.

I have to fill my 20 lb propane tank five to six times during a moderate season - at about $15 per fill. I do my finishing on the kitchen stove.

A hydrometer, hydrometer cup, and set of filters was a great investment for me. It's critical for demonstrating the proper time to bottle the syrup. And it greatly improved the consistency of my batches. But that purchase alone set me back about $60.

Good luck!

whalems
02-04-2011, 07:01 AM
I would have to disagree about using new garbage cans for sap storage. They are made of the same plastic as all the plastic bulk tanks that hundreds of sugar makers are using.