PDA

View Full Version : Keeping tank lines from freezing

danno
02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
How do you keep your tank line/valve from freezing?

I've always given up on using the outlet on tanks, and instead pumping the tank with sump pumps - that don't freeze cause there submerged in sap.

This year I'll be feeding the RO directly from my main collection tank. I have the tank high enough to gravity feed the RO, and thus have to keep this outlet, and several others unfrozen.

I have electricity, but all these electric heat tapes I'm seeing start at $25 and I need several for different tanks. Besides a torch or hair dryer, has anybody found a good/cheap way to keep there outlets un-frozen. If there is no better way, Ill go with the heat tape - how well do they work? Early season frozen lines can be a royal pain.

unclebuck
02-02-2011, 09:25 PM
moving water won't freeze I use a pump to circulate the sap from the bottom of the tank to the top but make sure the top hose is below the top of the sap otherwise it will splash and freeze

3rdgen.maple
02-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Never stop boiling until the your trees gave the last drop of sap:D. I run my 2x6 so many hours at a time it just doesnt have enough time to freeze up my holding tank. But heat tape or I would think maybe some good foiled back pipe wrap might keep enough heat in to help. Another idea is to hang a small light right over the valve area should do the trick and probably be a little less expensive to setup and less on the electric bill as well.

maple flats
02-03-2011, 05:00 AM
I had freeze ups, but never during a boil. When I start again I sometimes need to use a torch to thaw the valve. The rest is drained each nigth. I only have a line to freeze at my feed tank, the rest are pumped using a sap pump from the top. If I need to I poke a hole in the ice and pump.

maple flats
02-03-2011, 05:01 AM
Oh, this year I am running a larger feed line and will have an electric heat tape on it.

paul
02-03-2011, 05:39 AM
we use ball valves on our tanks and we drill a hole in the ball on the drain side. this allows the ball to drain and no freezing.drain the line and your all set. works for us

maplwrks
02-03-2011, 06:09 AM
I know of a couple sugarmakers up here that "syrup" their valves. They pour a qt of syrup down the drain and into the valve. The syrup won't freeze, and everything will go slick the next time you boil. if you have sap in the tank, the syrup will pour through the sap into the valve. The other thing I do , if I won't finish everything in one day is to sweeten the sap in the tank so that it won't freeze, running my RO back into the tank to get the % up over 10%

poolguy
02-03-2011, 07:37 AM
we use a rubber expansion plug that is attached to an extension rod that goes out of the top of the tank. this way there is NO valves involved. only thing is that your tank has to have the drain in the bottom not in the side. it really works well.

Dave Y
02-03-2011, 08:55 AM
I have an insulated box around my out door valves and piping,with a 100 watt bulb in side it keeps things from freezing.

Maplewalnut
02-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Is it worth it to put heat tape on PVC piping and valves?

Tweegs
02-03-2011, 09:46 AM
I have an insulated box around my out door valves and piping,with a 100 watt bulb in side it keeps things from freezing.

I use the same idea to keep the chicken water from freezing, just a box with a hole cut in the top for the waterer to set on, bulb inside the box. Never had a problem with the water freezing and thought I would do a similar set-up for the tanks…a box with a bulb in it designed to fit around the ball valve and sit snug up to the tank.

Dave Y
02-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Is it worth it to put heat tape on PVC piping and valves?
It is if you can get a heat tape that will transfer enough heat to the pipe.If your plumbing is exposed to the wind or weather I would not waste my time.I have been down that road and that is why I have boxed in my exposed lines and and a light bulb for heat.

ToadHill
02-03-2011, 01:07 PM
I have used Frostex heat tapes with good success on PVC pipes and valves located outside and exposed to the wind. They can be cut to any length you need and you can buy closed cell foam pipe insulation from a plumbing supply store to put over the pipe and heat tape. Has worked well for me on several tanks for years.