PDA

View Full Version : Washington County (Am I the only one?)

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-02-2011, 09:05 PM
I think i am the only maple syrup producer in washington county pennsylvaina. i would like to be proven wrong. Anybody else???

Gary R
02-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Aunt Stella's Garden is in Eighty Four. We're everywhere, you just have to look hard:)

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Is that you that makes it in eighty four?

Gary R
02-04-2011, 05:43 AM
No, I'm in Venango County

aunt stellas gardens
02-08-2011, 03:05 PM
I have been lurking on the site for a few months now. I am in Washington County and getting ready for season 3.
I have no where near the operation some of these other operators have but it really doesn't matter. We only make about 3 gallons of syrup. I was trying to get the significant other to tap before this last weekend but a Super Bowl got in the way and he thinks the taps will be no good if we tap and it freezes. Something about the taps freezing and not working for the big run. I'm waiting patiently for the cordless drill operator to give the go ahead. I hope we don't miss out by waiting. Nice to have someone else in the area, maybe you have some good leads on a poly tank, finishing pans, evaporators etc.?

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-08-2011, 07:11 PM
I reccomend tapping this weekend. I am putting out 150 on vacuum this year. I also reccomend using bulk milk tanks. They are stainless steel and super easy to clean. And cheaper than poly tanks. and a lot of times when you find a bulk tank there is also a vacuum pump in the same barn. If you need equipment there is a place in somerset county called brenneman's maple.

I have a friend that put out about 10 taps last year and plans on going bigger this year.

I hope you have a great season. And any questions you have concerning local resources feel free to ask.