PDA

View Full Version : sweet pans?

GramaCindy
02-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Ok, laugh in you may, but I am a NEWBIE! Just ordered a Mason 2x4, and have heard mention of sweetening your pans? Do I have to do something special to the pan BEFORE I use it? :?:

DrTimPerkins
02-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Ok, laugh in you may, but I am a NEWBIE! Just ordered a Mason 2x4, and have heard mention of sweetening your pans? Do I have to do something special to the pan BEFORE I use it? :?:

No...."sweetening the pan" is the term used for the first boil of the year when you get the sap up to a denser state throughout the pan and build a sugar gradient in the pans. It takes a LOT of sap to sweeten the pan.

If you don't have one, get a copy of the North American Maple Producer's Manual (2006 is the most recent edition). It'll help with a lot of questions, both for newbies and the "not-so-newbies."

wcproctor
02-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Ya Boil SAP !

adk1
02-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Yes, the NA Maple Producers manual is a must have. I ahve read it cover to cover 2x now and am back to sections here and there all the time.

Sugarmaker
02-02-2011, 07:57 PM
my 2 pennies,
I guess I never heard of it until I got on the trader. Since we never mentioned it when I was making syrup we just made syrup. Sometimes you didn't make syrup the first day maybe the run wasn't real big, but maybe into the second day of boiling you started to take off some syrup. I'm talking raw sap to syrup on rigs no bigger than 3 x 10.
Anyway the 'almost syrup' that is in the pans at the end of the day is the syrup you will draw off then next boil , so your not starting from scratch each day. Therefor I guess the pans have been "sweetened" at that point.
Chris

DrTimPerkins
02-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Anyway the 'almost syrup' that is in the pans at the end of the day is the syrup you will draw off then next boil , so your not starting from scratch each day. Therefor I guess the pans have been "sweetened" at that point.

Exactly right.

802maple
02-03-2011, 05:58 AM
Exactly right.

No Tim, I have to disagree, you mix that with Black Velvet or Captain Morgan while it is still hot. LOL

DrTimPerkins
02-03-2011, 06:21 AM
No Tim, I have to disagree, you mix that with Black Velvet or Captain Morgan while it is still hot. LOL

I stand corrected. After a few of those, I wouldn't stand at all.

Flat47
02-03-2011, 07:12 PM
I stand corrected. After a few of those, I wouldn't stand at all.

And then I'd utter the words, "Them some sweet pans!"

metalhead62
02-05-2011, 01:12 AM
im with the doc roflmao