PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Norwesco tank fitting

stoweski
02-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Hi all,

A quick question as I'm totally frustrated right now...

I have a 200 gal Norwesco sap storage tank that I hook up to my evaporator. One of the two fittings on the bottom of the tank is leaking. I read a few instructions on the site regarding tightening them - says to hand tighten then turn 1/4 of a turn with a pipe wrench. That worked on one of them but not the other.

Short of cutting the fitting off and putting on a new one (unfortunately the elbow that is attached to it will not budge so it won't come out) anyone have a solution that I may be overlooking? Last year I tried the pipe dope - which solved the problem temporarily. I'm just not too thrilled with using that again this season.

Thanks,
Keith

whalems
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Teflon tape

SeanD
02-02-2011, 12:55 PM
I would agree. Pipe thread tape is going to be your $1.00 solution. It will last you all season and the roll will last you 5 years. Don't wrap too much on . Just cover the threads.

Sean

stoweski
02-02-2011, 04:10 PM
I didn't put teflon tape on the threads but had it in mind (though I did put it on all of my other fittings).

The reason I held off on the teflon is that I'm not 100% sure that the threads are causing the leak. There's a plastic washer between the tank and the nut that screws on to the fitting. I'm almost positive that the leak is coming from between the tank and the washer. Hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from.

Besides wasting another 30 gallons of water maybe I'll put the fitting back on and fill the tank with snow. After it melts I can test it again. :)

Thanks for the tips though.
Keith

3rdgen.maple
02-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Rubber gasket between that plastic washer and tank and teflon on your threads will cure your leak. You can even cut the rubber washer from a tire tube or something.

WMF
02-02-2011, 05:08 PM
The rubber gasket has to be on the inside of the tank or the liquid will follow the threads and still leak. Some tank bulkheads have left hand threads and it probably just needs tightening.

3rdgen.maple
02-02-2011, 05:12 PM
The rubber gasket has to be on the inside of the tank or the liquid will follow the threads and still leak. Some tank bulkheads have left hand threads and it probably just needs tightening.

I would think just the opposite, being on the inside would the threads still not be exosed? on the outside they would be sealed off by the washer and gasket. But heck put one on both sides and you got it covered. Cheap fix either way.

WMF
02-02-2011, 05:30 PM
The rubber washer has to be pinched between the tank wall and the sealing flange of the bulkhead.
There is only one sealing flange on a bulkhead and that is why bulkheads are installed from the inside of the tank and the friction washer and nut screw on from the outside.
Its very common to have a piece of debris or a plastic burr from drilling the hole caught between the washer and the tank.
There is no such thing as a plastic fitting in a plastic bulkhead that will not turn , you just need a bigger wrench. I would disassemble the bulkhead and clean the sealing surfaces and make sure there are no cracks in the fittings as they can let go all at once.

stoweski
02-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Are the fittings available at Tractor Supply or another hardware store without having to go online - or through Bascoms? I'd rather pick them up locally.

My problem is the tank was used for potable water by the previous owner. He attached a 90 degree elbow onto the fitting and I have tried like crazy to get it off but it won't budge. It's rather difficult to get a grip on the fitting inside the tank as it's just out of reach of my arm. Unfortunately I can't take the fitting off the tank because of this elbow. My next step is to cut the fitting off and buy new. I suppose I don't mind doing that I just want to be sure I buy the correct fitting for the tank.

Now I'm starting to wonder if there is a rubber washer on the inside of the tank. I don't recall one being there as it came assembled when I got it. Hmm...

Brian
02-02-2011, 07:32 PM
tractor supply has them,or can get them, I have to change them out from time to time because of them leaking.

stoweski
02-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Well would you look at that. Went out and unscrewed the nut. Peeked inside as best I could and could not find a washer. Great. Now I have to cut the fitting off. I did try once again to take the elbow off but it still wouldn't move.

Besides, isn't a brand-spankin' new fitting better than some old crummy one? :)

danno
02-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Besides, isn't a brand-spankin' new fitting better than some old crummy one? :)[/QUOTE]

That depends. Bigger (3"+) bulkhead fittings get pretty expensive. I just priced a washer for a 4" - $6 just for a rubber washer - so I made my own. My TCS has 1" and 2" in stock. 1" run about $5 or $6. My elbow in a bulkhead has male threads that screw into the bulkhead. If yours is set up the same, you could probably cut the elbow at the bend with a hacksaw and be able to back the nut off. Then put the bulkhead in a vice and wrench out the elbow.

When putting a bulkhead back in a tank where you can't reach the hole from the inside, run a string or wire from the outside of the bulkhead hole, through the tank and back out the tank cover. Run the inside bulkhead fitting on the wire and it will run right to your bulkhead hole.