PDA

View Full Version : Test Boil 2011

stoweski
02-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Well, the snowgods gave me the day off teaching today so I managed to setup and run a test boil with my new-to-me rig. Sure boils a lot faster than the 1/2 pint I was using last year! What a nice setup. Now I can't wait to get my buckets up so I can start boiling sap instead of plain old water.
Still have to do some cleanup (and fix a leaky sap storage tank fitting) but I'm ready to go!

Keith

danno
02-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Lookin' good - but you forgot to mention the steam hood you have to build;) Startin to look a little moist up high in that pic.

stoweski
02-02-2011, 04:06 PM
A steam hood/pre heater is in my future!

The reason the shack was so full of steam was because of the 2' of snow on the shack roof. I could only open one cupola door about 8"!

Besides, it's always nice to 'sweeten the rafters'. :D

getting started
02-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Looks like my rig, is it a 2x6 WSE ? All new to me too ! Did a test boil on mine about 3 weeks ago, couldn't believe how hard she boiled ! With the blower on i boiled off around 45 gal of water a hour,couldn't believe it from this small rig. Got a hood from Leader for my flue pan , they told me that just adding a hood will also increase evaporation rate a little bit . Good luck with it .

stoweski
02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Yea, she's a Leader 2x6 WSE. It came with a blower but it was burnt out. Ordered and installed a new one. Although I didn't push it (was curing the refractory cement), I did turn the blower on at one point and opened the door to see how she blows. It makes me wonder what my final gph will be.

Does the hood have anything on it to attach a preheater? I know nothing about them but I'd assume that the preheater attaches to the hood somehow.

Keith

getting started
02-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I have seen only one WSE set up with a preheater, it wasn't attached to the hood though, it was attached to the center rail on the flue pan. The hood i believe would support a preheater if attached to it, seems to be real sturdy and well built , mine has about a 4" x 8" door on each side of the hood , seems like they will come in handy to see whats goin on in the flue pan .

Sugarmaker
02-02-2011, 07:49 PM
stoweski,
Thanks for posting the picture of the test boil. Good GPH rates on that unit too. Your going to like that rig.
Nice sugar house!
Regards,
Chris