PDA

View Full Version : Snow

03weim
02-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I don't know if this is the right place for this but, what are your thoughts on how all this snow is going to affect sap flows

Ausable
02-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Might not be able to reach the sap buckets - once the snow melts...lol - I don't think it will have much effect. I'm hoping the temperatures will be more favorable this year then last year. But - other then mobility - the snow shouldn't be an issue --- Mike

03weim
02-02-2011, 11:36 AM
that makes two of us hoping for better temps last year we doubled our buckets to a whooping 20 and made less syrup that the last 2 years, I know we are huge operation

DrTimPerkins
02-02-2011, 12:23 PM
I don't know if this is the right place for this but, what are your thoughts on how all this snow is going to affect sap flows

Good snow cover means the ground isn't frozen, which is good. If you do have a lot of ground frost, the tree can't move water up through the stem until it thaws.

The other good thing about snow....plenty of moisture as it melts.

Altogether, too much snow tends to be better than none. It just makes it more difficult to get around. That's what snowshoes are for.

Amber Gold
02-02-2011, 02:13 PM
We didn't get a snow until early January and the frost was quite deep. Would the snow insulate the ground and keep it from thawing or would the opposite be true?

Does a good snow pack also keep the woods cooler during the season?

Dill
02-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Josh the ground really isn't that frozen. At least in the woods. If you dig way down through the snow, and hit a layer of leaves the ground under that will be thawed. Remember we got that really warm Jan thaw? And then the snow started coming down. I was able to dig right down to level the blocks for the woodshed last week.

markct
02-02-2011, 07:43 PM
our ground was frozen pretty hard when we first got snow a month or more ago, but i have found in seems the warmth from underground seems to work its way up and thaw the soil. for example, i had a road that had been plowed out, got iced on, then snowed on, i tried to plow it but couldnt make it up the hill with the ice underneath so left it. about 2 weeks later when i tried to plow it from the top down i found where there was still snow on the road the ice underneath had melted away! plowed it no problem and when i got to the part i had previously plowed it was iced up just as the day i left it!