PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoes

SeanD
02-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Sunnysports.com is having a big sale on snowshoes and they offer free shipping. I just bought these (below) on Sunday afternoon and UPS just delivered them.

I thought I'd be lucky to get them before the season and they are in my house in less than 48 hours. Crazy.

I'm heading out now to learn how to use them before I'm carrying buckets. Way too much snow to use the lawn tractor and cart. I picked a bad year for that project.

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/CategoryID_2247/Context_2200/Sort_Price/DescSort_0/TUBT30.html?Hit=1

Sean

Fishgill
02-01-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm thinking I might need some myself. There is three feet on the ground already and with two more feet it's gonna be a ball buster with out them.
But that's part of the beauty of it.:lol:

SeanD
02-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Phew! Just got back from walking part of my neighbor's woods. The first trip cutting the path is a bit of work. You sink down about 6-8", but the return trip is very easy. Of course carrying buckets will be another story. I was surprised at how well they handled the inclines/declines. The real trick was dealing with the creek, boulders, downed limbs and undergrowth that are completely buried making finding my way an adventure.

Compared to when I sunk to my waist the other day, these are worth every penny.

Sean

maple flats
02-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I bought a pair like those last year when we had an ice crust on top of 18" snow. I was breaking thru the ice crust and it was murder to walk. I have 2 other pairs of trailing type snow shoes, in 2 different size foot prints. They give better floatation on fluffy snow but are much harder to turn and to get close to trees to work. However, I use all 3 pair, each when the snow conditions call for that type.
I notice the link says they are out of stock. Anyone needing snowshoes might do well checking other sources, many retailers are marking down such items right when we need them the most. They would rather have swim suits out now!!!? One point to keep in mind. The binding shown on the ones in the link are quite user friendly as opposed to many. Another good binding is Bob Maki. Try Northwest Trappers Supply. If you try the Bob Maki and wear a boot larger than a 10, order XL. Maki used to only make one size but I asked Northwest to try to get XL. They actually contacted Maki and the XL was born. It does not show in the catalog yet, you must order by phone to get the XL.

peacemaker
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/dionsnowshoes
local north bennington vt made shoes ...