PDA

View Full Version : Site Tube

wkies
02-01-2011, 09:27 AM
I just bought a 230 SS head tank that I am going to hook p to my 2x6. It is replacing a 125 and 225 plastic tank(s). They were hooked up via a duel piping system. Because they were plastic I could always see how much sap was left. With the new SS tank how can I hook up a site tube so I don't have to climb up and look into the SS tank to see how much sap is left. Does anyone have a pictures of a site tube as well?

3rdgen.maple
02-01-2011, 09:32 AM
All I did on mine was after the main valve on the tank I put a t with a half inch threaded port on top. I then downsized that to 5/16 and put a clear peice of poly tubing that is attached to the ceiling. I then stuck a tiny orange ball in it. When I open the valve to let sap flow to the evaporator the ball rises up and floats on top of the sap that fills the sight tube. When the valve is closed it all drains into the flue pan. I can see that orange ball anywhere in the sugarhouse and be able to tell how much sap is in the head tank.

heus
02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
3rdgen I like the ball idea

maple flats
02-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I did the same but no ball. The tank is outside, elevated and just after the supply comes into the sugarhouse, I have a tee and clear vinyl tubing up to the top of the sugarhouse wall, and it continues out and back into the tank. I did this because I have another tee that feeds incoming sap, after going thru the UV and fills the tank. When this is pumping I would get some sap shoot out the top and make a mess, now it goes into the tank. I do think I'll try the ball idea, now I need to get within about 4'-6' to see the level, the ball would show up a lot farther.

morningstarfarm
02-01-2011, 11:30 AM
little bobbers work very well too...cheap but the red/white is very visible...only problem is I dont know if bobbers are food grade?

GramaCindy
01-15-2012, 03:31 PM
All I did on mine was after the main valve on the tank I put a t with a half inch threaded port on top. I then downsized that to 5/16 and put a clear peice of poly tubing that is attached to the ceiling. I then stuck a tiny orange ball in it. When I open the valve to let sap flow to the evaporator the ball rises up and floats on top of the sap that fills the sight tube. When the valve is closed it all drains into the flue pan. I can see that orange ball anywhere in the sugarhouse and be able to tell how much sap is in the head tank.

Hello 3rd! I am working on this type of set up for my feed tank to the preheater….do you have any pics that you could share? Cindy

maple maniac65
01-15-2012, 04:17 PM
are the float balls in realesers food grade? not likely

wiam
01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
I have run this type of site tube at three different sugarhouses. I currently use one similar. When sap is flowing the site tube will read a little lower than the sap level in the tank. It is a good reference to tank level, but I am just throwing this out there. My current one has a 1.5" valve then a 1.5"x 1/2" insert t then necks down to 1" to feed. This seems to run closer to true tank level.

GramaCindy
01-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks wiam, all info is good info!