PDA

View Full Version : "Dirty Jobs" Maple Syrup

can'twaitforabigrun
01-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Just a heads up to anyone that gets the Discovery Channel, that tonight @ 9pm eastern time, Mike Rowe will be making maple syrup the old fashioned way in P.A.. Maybe someone could start a thread on t.v. shows about maple syrup.

whalems
01-31-2011, 06:57 PM
You just did:)

Jim Schumacher
01-31-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't have cable but last time he did a show about maple syrup production my mother taped it for me. I am glad I was able to take the tape out of the VCR afterwords and destroy it. If I had been watching it live I may have had to smash the TV to release my disgust and agitation for how poorly it reflected our industry. It took a lot of effort to make the syrup production process look "dirty". Also, maybe I'm just short handed, but I don't ever remember sitting around bored while running my operation.

red maples
01-31-2011, 07:00 PM
I am sure its the same one from last time. I think it aired for the first time during the summer???

Haynes Forest Products
01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Yea and we cut him to shreads for kicking the brick out of the arch and for the guys filtering operation:lol:

waysidemaple
01-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Are you sure its on tonight? I just checked the tv guide and it doesn't say anything about dirty jobs. Supposidly American choppers will be on at 9 tonight.

sugarmountain
01-31-2011, 07:52 PM
ya, the flue brush smashing the brick out? i wanted to smash mike rowe for doing that! makes me cringe every time i see it.Gotta love the old "sugar camp" wasnt that in p.a.?

red maples
02-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Yeah, He seemed a bit bored I think. Because we all know there's nothing to do except wait for the water to boil:rolleyes:

They should have had him do other things. Running tubing in 2 feet of snow on snow shoes or something he couldn't even walk up the little hill to get to that section of tubing :) and he drilled that tap hole nice and oval like!! perfect!!

sugarmountain
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Makes for good tv i guess, at least the maple industry got a little action on the "big screen"

maple flats
02-01-2011, 06:04 PM
I saw his piece last year. If it is the same one, he doesn't do any justice to the maple industry.
On the other hand, my youngest son just showed me a good one from the "How It's Made" series on either the science channel or Discovery. It had a few errors but for the most part was quite good. If I find it again, I'll post a link here.
PS, I looked to find that for over an hour, sorry I could not. I'm thinking it might not have been the "How it's Made" series but something similar. It ran a little longer than their segments. Must have been someone else's program.

802maple
02-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Makes for good tv i guess, at least the maple industry got a little action on the "big screen"

Atleast they were somewhere in the modern age not still throwing hot rocks in the hollowed out log like you do. hehehehehe

BuoyChaser
02-01-2011, 07:14 PM
If you subscribe to Netflix, you can Instant Watch this episode "Dirty Jobs: Collection 6" http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Dirty_Jobs_Collection_6/70139409?trkid=1457043

Dill
02-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I just watched it again last week. Yes its not the best protrayal. But he's also not at a packer when we are all bringing in Mersh to trade and explaining what it tastes like.
And since I won't be tapping for a few weeks it soothes the mind and gets me focused. And I wish I had a big enough sugarhouse to bring a tractor and a bundle of slabs right through the door.

red maples
02-02-2011, 05:54 AM
I just watched it again last week. Yes its not the best protrayal. But he's also not at a packer when we are all bringing in Mersh to trade and explaining what it tastes like.
And since I won't be tapping for a few weeks it soothes the mind and gets me focused. And I wish I had a big enough sugarhouse to bring a tractor and a bundle of slabs right through the door.

Oh yes, it's all about the wheel barrow!!!! load after load after load....well you know!!!

markct
02-02-2011, 08:58 AM
haha yea i thought i realy was moving up this year when i built a porch and ramp to bring the wheelbarrow in the sugarhouse! first year it was parked outside and carried in, next year i kept putting a plank down every time i rolled it in, probably be a few more years before i move up to a tractor tho!

sugarmountain
02-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Oh , looks like old beanie's (802maple) pickin on me again! at least we have a hollowed out log! he he he:lol:

can'twaitforabigrun
02-03-2011, 08:38 PM
I wish I hadn't even told anyone he was on it wasn't even worth watching, he did a great disservice to the maple syrup industry!

Jim Schumacher
02-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Told you. PM me and I will give you Mike Rowes address, layout of his house, all of his patterns and routines as I have observed them, and let you in on the "diabolical Plan of revenge".

Jim

Maple Hugger
02-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Hey Jim Schumacher. Has anyone ever told you that you're creepy?

lpakiz
02-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Anyone got a reliable vehicle I could car-pool with to Mikes place??

3rdgen.maple
02-03-2011, 10:38 PM
This thread sounds exacally like the one a year ago. Same show same results. And yes Jim creeped me out a little on that one as well. Sounds like someone has a little stalker in them lol.

whalems
02-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Sounds like Jim has been spending a little to much time sniffing argon fumes:o:rolleyes::lol:

Jim Schumacher
02-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Hey Jim Schumacher. Has anyone ever told you that you're creepy?

Don't mind her. I think she only comes on here to mess with me.:cry:

red maples
02-07-2011, 01:45 PM
I saw his piece last year. If it is the same one, he doesn't do any justice to the maple industry.
On the other hand, my youngest son just showed me a good one from the "How It's Made" series on either the science channel or Discovery. It had a few errors but for the most part was quite good. If I find it again, I'll post a link here.
PS, I looked to find that for over an hour, sorry I could not. I'm thinking it might not have been the "How it's Made" series but something similar. It ran a little longer than their segments. Must have been someone else's program.

Here it is I found it on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_YZmUrNueo

maple flats
02-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks, That is the one I tried to re locate. While it is not perfect I feel it does justice to the maple industry.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-07-2011, 06:17 PM
The sugar camp on the show is a few miles down the road from the equipment dealer I buy from. In the heart of amish country

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
02-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Rossel's- you must be getting your equipment from Henry Brenneman.

Toblerone
02-09-2011, 10:21 AM
It looked like they were just pushing the taps into the tree and turning. Is this standard practice for the 5/16" taps?

red maples
02-09-2011, 01:36 PM
No he was tapping it in with a wooden mallet. Taps several time until you hear the change in sound you can't miss it.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Yes. Thats exactly where i get my equipment. My cousin makes syrup in markelton and down the road from him is sechlers sugar shack