PDA

View Full Version : Keeping her like new.

Tweegs
01-31-2011, 11:01 AM
We just picked up a new Leader 2X6 drop flue.
I have her all set up and bricked in with arch board and splits.

I have a few splits left over and thought I would brick in below the grate…anyone else do this?

The sides of the arch are galvanized. I put some galvanized stack on the woodstove in the barn, then promptly over fired it. This caused the stack to discolor and rust quite quickly. I want to keep the same thing from happening to the arch, and that ash area below the grate has got to get hot.

How about a pet product to keep the exterior galvanized surfaces looking good?

Last, ceramic blanket for the door…what do you use to attach the stuff?

Haynes Forest Products
01-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Keeping the metal clean all season is a chore. I think keeping things off that will burn on and then bake on is the key. I keep a wet rag with Vinegar stright out of the jug around for cleaning. I wipe it down all day long as Im checking and walking the rig.

Maplewalnut
01-31-2011, 01:09 PM
I do the same as Haynes but use hot water coming off my hood. I wipe even where it looks clean, you'd be surprised the gunk that comes off.

Plus it passes the time in between firing every 6 minutes, bringing in more wood, taking hydromter readings, checking feed tank levels, checking sap tank levels, rinsing and cleaning barrels, defoaming, checking floats, setting up and taking apart filter press......it really gets ugly when March madness is on and your trying to watch a game!

Haynes Forest Products
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Maplewalmut I forgot to mention the joy and pleasure it brings you when a burst of steam comes of the rag when your rubbing the arch side sending the rag thru the air into the crowd:o

Maplewalnut
01-31-2011, 02:44 PM
....and not so nice words coming from your mouth. Even my 7 year old said Dad dont you know thats hot?!?!?

Groves
01-31-2011, 03:15 PM
You guys clean with vinegar *while* the arch is operating? Just exterior parts, or parts that come into sap contact?

Jim Brown
01-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Maple walnut;someone stole the name of this insane habit before you .
MARCH MADDNESS!!

Jim