PDA

View Full Version : various maples

maplefarmer
01-31-2011, 07:32 AM
i understand that silver and poss. red maples have a lower brix % than sugar maples, my question is on a normal or average year, how much sap will silver and red maple trees yield compared to like 10 gal. that say each tap should get from a sugar?

jmayerl
01-31-2011, 08:04 AM
my reds started about a week before the rest of the maples last year and poured out sap. but they shut off a little sooner also. i don't measure % sap but the yield was high on the few reds i have in the yard.

lastwoodsman
01-31-2011, 09:02 AM
I have measured and used reds (Acer Rubrum)and sugars (Acer Saccharum)for years. I have seen no difference in either. It varies from tree to tree and flucuates between 1.5 and 2.5
A friend of mine taps 400 silvers (Acer Saccharinum) and sees his sap generally around 1.5-2 % The quality of his syrup is equal to any.

Woodsman

Russell Lampron
01-31-2011, 05:38 PM
My reds on vacuum will produce about 20 gallons of sap per tap. The ones that I hung buckets on didn't do so well. Some didn't run at all, some very little and others ran as good as the sugars. Most of them were in the very little to none range. I have come to the conclusion that it isn't worth tapping the reds without vacuum. The sugar content runs about .5% less from the reds as well.

BoarsNest
01-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Last year was my first year and the weather was horrible for good syrup runs. One of my reds was the best tree I had and I had others that had empty buckets everytime. The sugar maples were probably more consistent over all. My maples are so spread out that vacumn doesn't make sense, but I would do it if I could.