PDA

View Full Version : A sled good in the bush

Brent
01-30-2011, 06:46 PM
This weekend we tripped off to a Bass Pro store for new boots ... it's that time.

While there we found a display of sleds that look like a great tool to drag around working on pipelines and tapping.

I got the small one and tried it today. The sides are high enough to keep the gear in. The smallest one in the lineup seems just the right size. Nothing fell out.
See http://www.otteroutdoors.com/icesleds.html

ADKMAPLE
01-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Yup, we ahve a few Jet Sleds. athough we get the metal brackets to tow behind the snowmobile, much easier than walking!

maple flats
01-31-2011, 11:06 AM
After you work your way to the top, doing all of the work, you can get in and ride down. Watch out for trees in your path!!!

DrTimPerkins
01-31-2011, 12:31 PM
While there we found a display of sleds that look like a great tool to drag around working on pipelines and tapping.

We use these types of sleds in different ways. They work quite well.

DrTimPerkins
01-31-2011, 12:34 PM
After you work your way to the top, doing all of the work, you can get in and ride down. Watch out for trees in your path!!!

Before I started doing research on maple, I used to study winter physiology of high elevation red spruce. We'd hike up mountains on snowshoes (which made a great packed trail), and always drag a plastic sled with us. A 2 hr hike up in the morning usually meant a very fast 15 min ride back down in the afternoon.

Rhino
01-31-2011, 02:50 PM
What i found that works good also for takeing pipeline repair equipment through the woods is just a 18 gallon rubbermaid tote that i took a tree stand harness strap and attatched it to opposite corners. I made it so a person can sling it over their shoulders or drag it along the snow next to them. If you don't have to carry alot of repair stuff, a smaller tote (10 gal.) would be a little more handy but i like to have things seperated so i use a 18 gallon. (no weight to them empty). We also use these to drag our bag holders to put on the trees. We get empty apple boxes from our local super market and we put the ready to be used holders/bags in the apple boxes and then put the boxes in the totes. Some apple boxes are a tad to big to fit in the tote so those we just carefully dump the holders in. All the bags are rolled up nicely around the holders so they go in real nicely.

Rhino
01-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Just to clarify....We have all our 1000 bags on the holders already and in the apple boxes, The way i wrote it, it sounded like we did extra labor just putting them in the apple boxes so we could put them in the totes. I ain't that energetic. LOL