PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Steel Evaporators

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-30-2011, 06:12 PM
I have a 3 by 5 steel evaporator. I sanded the rust off last year. Is there an easier way to clean them i dont feel up to all that again if i do not have to.

Ausable
01-30-2011, 06:44 PM
I have a 3 by 5 steel evaporator. I sanded the rust off last year. Is there an easier way to clean them i dont feel up to all that again if i do not have to.

I have a 2' x 5' steel evaporator and thought the same thing last year. After cleaning it up good - I did a test boil with water and after it was cooled down and drained I wiped it dry and rubbed in Olive Oil. When the sap flow started I wiped the insides of the evaporator with paper towels to clean out the olive oil and did another water boil etc etc. .. Picked up no Olive Oil taste in the Maple Syrup and every one who tried it liked it. The Evaporator picked up the protective maple syrup glaze after using it for the season. At the end of last years season - cleaned the evaporator with hot water - dried it out and again coated with olive oil -- checked it the other day and it looks pretty good.... Mike

Big_Eddy
01-31-2011, 08:50 AM
If you have rust on it - a wire brush on an angle grinder is a fast way to shine it back up.

To avoid rust for next year - don't wash the pan at the end of the season. Keep that last coating of sugar inside the pan over the summer, and the soot on the outside, keep the pan in a well ventilated and dry area, then next spring all you need to do is give it a quick rinse and you're good to go. The sugar coating will seal the steel as well as oil ever would.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the great advice everyone.

Now i have another question concerning how maple trader works.

How do you get the thing at the bottom to say how many taps you have and other stats about your sugarbush

whalems
02-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Go into "your control panel" And edit your signature.

Flat47
02-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm confused...are we talking mild steel pans or arch. Rust in pans scares me.

TapME
02-08-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm confused...are we talking mild steel pans or arch. Rust in pans scares me.

we all need a little extra iron in our diet don't we.
now one has to ask which county you are from. There are 2 well know ones in maine.

Flat47
02-09-2011, 06:36 AM
we all need a little extra iron in our diet don't we.
now one has to ask which county you are from. There are 2 well know ones in maine.

Oh yes...extra iron and lead...

I'm in The County. Aroostook, of course! There may be 2 Maines, but only one "The County."

TapME
02-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Oh yes...extra iron and lead...

I'm in The County. Aroostook, of course! There may be 2 Maines, but only one "The County."

I was under the impression the Washington had taken that title away from you. :lol: Have some family from that part of Maine. There is no lead in steel pans, just a little extra iron and darker syrup that taste great.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Yes. 30 years of rust in the pan.

TapME
02-09-2011, 05:52 PM
mine was made i n the 50"s and has a nice sugar coating on it that keeps the rust off. But if I must say it makes the best syrup. :lol:

Flat47
02-09-2011, 06:37 PM
I was under the impression the Washington had taken that title away from you. :lol: Have some family from that part of Maine. There is no lead in steel pans, just a little extra iron and darker syrup that taste great.

No no no...Washington is That County - as in, "Oh, ugh [roll eyes] that county."

I know tis all of topic and all the rest of you don't know (or care) about what we're talking about. It's a Maine thing.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Washington county. That the county i live in here in pa :D