PDA

View Full Version : Strainer/screen for leg tank opening?

heus
01-27-2011, 08:59 PM
I was wondering if anyone makes a filter basket that sits in the 5" opening of a poly leg tank (65 gallons). Only ones I could find online were 8" and larger.

Bucket Head
01-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Just brainstorming here. What about a stainless steel strainer? The kind with the handle on it. Take a look at the kitchen utensils at the grocery store. Check out your local restaurant supply. They would have a larger selection of just about everything compared to the grocery or department stores. It is bigger than your tank opening, but have you considered a stainless milk strainer? Could you cut out the hole out on your tank a little bigger for the milk strainer? You could probably fashion a different cover for the slightly larger opening. I cut a larger hole in the top of my IBC tote that I gather with so one of the milk strainers sets into it.

Steve

heus
01-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I actually have a small milk strainer for my 35 gal collection tank for the 4 wheeler. I bought 2 nice stainless strainers from Father & Son this past summer. They are bigger than the opening. I dont know if I want to cut up a new leg tank. I will check in the kitchen utensils or just rig up a sap sock to fit into it. Last year I didnt filter it until I pumped it into my head tank but I would like to filter it when collecting also.

3rdgen.maple
01-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Sap sack. They work great and will filter out alot more than a screen.

Father & Son
01-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Jason,
You might be able to take a piece of high tensil wire, make it the size of the tank opening, and zip strip a pre filter to it. I don't filter into my gathering tank but when I pump to the feed tank I hose clamp an old pre filter to the pump line and rinse it the end of each night.

Jim

cncaboose
01-28-2011, 09:00 PM
We use 2 of the same 65 gallon tanks on our tractor. I think putting a strainer at the tank opening is going to slow your pouring into the tank to the point that you will be frustrated as we found from personal experience. We use 100 micron bucket filters in the top of 5 gallon pails for collecting and a funnel with no strainer for filling the tank. Then very little debris winds up in the tank. We also filter with a 10 micron inline filter before the sap goes into the evaporator. Works well for us.

mike z
01-29-2011, 04:17 PM
McMaster Carr sells filter bags - fairly cheap, FDA compliant, one micron, and probably would have a size that would work for you. Good luck - MZ