PDA

View Full Version : pex preheater

davey
01-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Any thoughts?

maple flats
01-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Pex, being plastic would give very poor temperature exchange. You would also have a hard time eliminating air locks (may be impossible) since the pex will not hold a rigid shape.

Flat47
01-27-2011, 08:58 PM
It's do-able. Pex is cheaper than copper here. One down side is that since Pex is plastic it is more of an insulator than it is a conductor, so heat transfer would suffer.

I guess I type really slow. Looks like Maple Flats beat me to it.

Haynes Forest Products
01-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Plus I wonder is you would get gassing from the Pex at the higher heat. Plus tight bends under stress will kink at higher temps.

Flat47
01-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Plus I wonder is you would get gassing from the Pex at the higher heat. Plus tight bends under stress will kink at higher temps.

Could use the vapor barrier Pex - it's intended for use on closed circuit recirculating heating systems to help eliminate rust and scale in the boiler. I'm told that pvc fittings are now available for Pex, too. I haven't seen them, and the brass one are getting more expensive by the day (no kidding). But, it's easy to put together and is lead-free. I wouldn't bend it for a preheater. I'd use the available elbows.

I still favor copper for a preheater. And copper has it beat hands down for heat transfer. That's reason enough to stay with copper.