PDA

View Full Version : mod to Leader end of line loops

Brent
01-27-2011, 11:34 AM
taking inspiration from the open hook made in Quebec
I have modified some of my Leader end of line loops to make them removable and replaceable as in the photo.
I think they will still be strong enough but there is risk that a lot of tension could open them up. We'll see.

Sugarmaker
01-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Brent,
This may work but the tension may open up the loop just as you say. I am trying to get local dealer to respond to my need for some CDL slip rings. I use the CDL hook. Take a look at that they are designed to hook and release but they wont stay the tubing slips through. Thats why i designed the loop to take up tubing slack. it works great.
Chris

Brent
01-29-2011, 09:19 AM
I think this will only work on short laterals. Anything long will have too much tension and open it up. So I've got some of CDL's fittings coming next week.

Someone on the Trader had a more complicated set up to accomplish this without slipping, and has some photos on Photobucket but I can't find that post.

farmall h
01-29-2011, 03:35 PM
I don't get it...the purpose of cutting a perfectly good endring is because why? Trying to save on a couple feet of tubing? If installed correctly to begin with you should not have to tighten all the time.:confused:

Brent
01-29-2011, 04:11 PM
A perfectly good end ring makes the lateral perfectly non-removable. If you need to drop the line to get a tractor by with a normal end ring you have to cut the tubing and likely end up putting on a new fitting when you re-run the tubing.

I wouldn't put it on every line, but there are areas where you need access if you're hauling out logs or whatever.

CDL makes a fitting that is expressly made to be removeable and lots of guys on the forum think they're great. I just don't have any from CDL (yet)

kiegscustoms
01-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Lapierre end line slide fittings with hooks. Probably the best fitting in the woods.

3rdgen.maple
01-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Brent there is a 5/16 quick disconnect made for the lats that need to come down for access. I put in a couple this year and time will tell but dang are they easy to use. Just a simple twist and the lat seperates. Drive tractor through and twist them back together. Got mine out of the Bascoms book. Nice thing is if you need to go through during the sap season taps and all stay right in the tree.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Better wrap the quick disconnects with electrical tape a couple of times as I had them fail during the season when there was sap in the lines and a lot of tension. With tape, no problems.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-30-2011, 07:42 AM
I agree with Brandon. They also leak vacuum without taping the be-jeebers out of them. I eliminated them after the first year.

3rdgen.maple
01-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Good to know guys. I was told they were upgraded and suppose to be better. If they dont work then it easy enough to switch them out. I will keep my eyes and ears on them.
Just had a new thought. Would we not be better off if we put the quick disconnect between the end line slide fitting and the saddle where there is no tension on them. Just disconnect, unhook the slide from the wire and done.

farmall h
01-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Its better just to nip the line at the endring and wind it up if you need to access the woods during the off season.

Randy Brutkoski
01-30-2011, 09:40 PM
I will never ever use the quik disconects for the 5/16 again. You cant put any tention on them. I think thats how they got there name. You walk out of the woods after you hook them up and they disconnect quik. And it is a major vacuum leak.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-31-2011, 06:52 AM
As I stated before, if you wrap them a few times with electrical tape, they won't disconnect at least the ones I tried but I still didn't like them.

3rdgen.maple
01-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Hence the reason I said put them between the slide fitting and the saddle, no tension on them at all. When you have a lateral that needs to come down to get the tractor through cutting out a lateral daily is not an option. Not pulling 5 taps and dropping the whole setup either.