PDA

View Full Version : Thicker Syrup

adk1
01-25-2011, 07:21 PM
So I had this Grade A dark amber in the freezer. Took it out and set it on the counter a spell. Opened it up to pour into our syrup container and thought that the consistance just wasent right. IT was a quart, so dumped it into a large boiling pot and put it on the kitchen stove. used a candy thermometer on the side. Watching the temp rise, It got to 210 degrees...then I turned my back to it for only seconds and bam it is boiling all over the stove! Talk about a mess, but the worse thing was I wasted a bunch of syrup!

Anywyas, luckily we have a flat top stove so once cooled it did clean up easily. Once the syrup settled, I did get the consistance that I wanted with what was left.

So what is everyones guess as to why the syrup shot from 210 to 219 in a matter of literally seconds???

Secondly, the producer that makes the syrup draws off finished syrup at 219 degrees. IF they were to draw at 220, would it then have a thicker consistancy anyways?

Sugarmaker
01-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Boiling syrup on the stove for some reason tells the syrup that it is OK to boil over sooner than expected. One year Cheryl and I both boiled over a batch on the stove what a mess.
All I can say is to put some butter or defoamer around the edge of the pan. Another trick that seems to work is to place a stainless spoon in the pan. Have a good accurate thermometer and try to keep a eye on it. No tricks here I would not worry about the density, same thing would have happened whether thick or thin. Your reboiling is changing the density, so I don't think that would have made a difference.
Hope that helps. Good news was that you or someone did not get hurt!
Regards,
Chris

Flat47
01-25-2011, 07:39 PM
219 isn't always proper density. Gotta use a hydrometer. But you probably knew that.
I've found that on our glass-top stove, there are hot spots and cool spots on each "burner," and they heat up really really quick. I'm guessing this all contributed to what you experienced.

Sugarmaker
01-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I,ll give you another thing I thought was strange and dangerous. I over heated a cup of coffee in the microwave. Then proceeded to stick it under the ice dispenser in the fridge door. Dispensed one large ice cube and the thing went into a raging "over boil" that scalded one finger slightly. Hot stuff!
Chris

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-26-2011, 03:44 AM
I had some boil over on a flat top stove and it pitted the glass top wow did I get in trouble. If it was thicker than it should have been would there have been crystalization in the bottom of container?

briansickler
01-26-2011, 06:11 AM
I think the heat is hard to control on an electric stove especially a glass top. When you turn down the heat there is quite a delay. You may have to watch is closer and remove the pot from the burner for a few seconds if needed. You have much better control with a gas burner stove.

Brian

red maples
01-26-2011, 06:57 AM
1. 219 isn't always the correct temp for proper density. You need to messure by hydometer.

2. If the syrup if "finished" or correct density as soon as there is a slight boil the bubbles are are very small and syrup is thick and bubbles don't break very easy so they build up quickely and overflow.

3. Difference between electric and gas...gas is a constant heat where as electric runs on a thermostat and constantly turns off and on making the temp spike over and over again.