PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Found a Better Bucket Spile Than Durfee's 5/16 SS Health Spile?

holey_bucket
01-24-2011, 11:02 PM
They are found here, on Scott's site. (http://www.lilsugarhouse.com/)

And several pics on this MT thread, (http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=7710&highlight=Durfee) posted by Gary R.

This season I am using 20 5gal pails with lids. I would prefer to not mess with hooks. I would like SS for the cleanliness. If he still has some or makes them, Scott Durfee's spile looks to be well made. Anyone have experience with these?

In 2012 I could make drop lines and set my buckets on the ground, but I just wont have the time this year.

Gary R
01-25-2011, 06:03 AM
Scott and I talked about these this past weekend. The price of material and CNC time has gone up. PM Scott, he may have a bunch that he'd be willing to sell.

Sugarmaker
01-25-2011, 07:25 PM
I just bought 30 from Scott this weekend. Sounded like he was about out of these.
Nice looking little stainless sap dripping jewels! Not the cheapest spile on the market, but well built, and well designed.
I had used tin and cast spouts for years in the 7/16 size, but felt like it was time to upgrade things a little.
Easier on the trees and will clean up real nice! Cant wait to try them.
I hope that my great great grandkids can use these to make some syrup.
Regards,
Chris

holey_bucket
01-26-2011, 07:06 AM
I just ordered some from him yesterday, as well. I can't wait! they look great!

maple marc
01-26-2011, 09:46 PM
The standard Leader cast aluminum 5/16" tree saver spouts work fine for me. I use a hole saw to cut a hole in the side of a plastic 5 gallon bucket just below the rim. The bucket stays on the spout just fine. I can see how a stainless spout might be good. A small amount of corrosion does occur on the aluminum over the years. Do not soak them in a bleach solution. That really corrodes them. Simply boil to sanitize.

Marc

SeanD
01-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Hey Marc,

I use the same taps with buckets. I found that I have to cut away the thick ridges below the lip of the bucket, otherwise the ridges on the bucket bump into the tree before it can hook over the fin on the top of the spile. It's a real pain in the neck holding the bucket between my feet while I give it the Texas Chain Saw Massacre with a Sawzall.

Do you have the same issue or do you (hopefully) have a way around doing that? I was thinking of trying the torch, but I think I'll wreck the bucket before the ridge comes off.

Sean

Dave Y
01-27-2011, 08:14 AM
If you need to enlarge the hole in your sap buckets. Get a ream that will fit in you drill . Then use it to enlarge the hole to whatever size you need.

Gary R
01-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Sean,

I used a utility knife to cut the rims. It is easy, just be careful:)

lpakiz
01-27-2011, 09:27 PM
How about a 4 inch angle grinder to grind off the offending area??

maple marc
01-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Sean,
I know what you mean about the ridges. They need to be removed 2" or so on each side of the hole. I have used both the grinder and the Sawzall. Sort of a split decision. A vise to hold the edge of the bucket near the hole might help. I think I may have also used a large band saw to do a few.

Marc

SeanD
01-28-2011, 05:54 AM
The utility knife was slow going and tough on the hands. It was just a matter of time before I cut myself, so I switched to the Sawzall. I hadn't thought of using the grinder, though. It might be more manageable. I'll give it a whack.

Thanks

metal man
01-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Check Nextgenmaple.com for new Stainless steel bucket/ sap sak spout.

3rdgen.maple
01-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Use a soldering iron and just melt the ridges off. Fast and easy.

Gary R
01-29-2011, 08:15 AM
I see the Next Generation Maple Products spout in the latest Maple News. You can't really tell from the picture but, I do not see a "bump" on the underside of the spout where the sap comes out. If it is not there, I don't see these working very well. A lot of sap will run back out the bottom of the spout and onto the ground.

metal man
01-30-2011, 06:44 PM
I designed and tested these spouts. When installed properly at a 5 degree angle, they do not back bleed. I have also tested them at level and at 5 degrees up. and they do not back bleed as well. According to the North American Maple Producers Manual, they say that all bucket spouts should be installed at a minimum of 5 degrees down.

mike z
01-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Any way to attach a cover to these? That seems to be the one thing missing from all these new health spouts.

holey_bucket
01-31-2011, 06:13 AM
It looks like Scott's SS Health Spiles are plenty long enough to get past the rings of a plastic pail, allowing no interference by a lid. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

maplefrank
02-05-2011, 07:12 AM
does anyone know how to get in touch w/scott?????? i would like to get some of these spouts.........and does anyone know of any other health spouts for buckets????

Dave Y
02-05-2011, 07:23 AM
If the hole in your bucket is large enough the Lapierre clear straight spout will hold a bucket quite well. And the are a lot cheaper!

holey_bucket
02-05-2011, 08:00 AM
maplefrank,

My very first post on this thread has Scott's website. All of his information is there.

BryanEx
02-05-2011, 08:08 AM
maplefrank,

My very first post on this thread has Scott's website. All of his information is there.

Link doesn't seem to be working today. :(

holey_bucket
02-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Looks like his site is down. His user name on this site is SDURF. You can try sending him a PM, that was how I got a hold of him.

kinalfarm
02-05-2011, 03:26 PM
i just use tubing. 2 taps for each bucket and drill the hole in the lid a little small so the tubing going into the lid so its water tight

SDURF
02-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Yes the web site is down for a week while we change the host.