PDA

View Full Version : mimaple

the old guy
01-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Yet another interesting way to filter maple syrup on you tube. Watch the mimaple - "maple sugaring - a springtime tradition part 2" this old guy finishes the syrup on the evaporator and then filters and bottles it; and it appears that there is no finishing done outside the evaporator. He uses a prefilter beneath two final filters and another prefilter on top of the final filters. I would be interested to learn how you guys filter. We use three or four prefilters on top of a final filter carefully removing a prefilelter as it fills with "gunk". The syrup comes out clear but we will sometimes get an off white skim coat on top of the syrup in some bottles.

The old guy

michiganfarmer2
01-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Ive seen that video. I really like it too. I dont do any finnishinig outside of the evaporator either. My syrup is a litle thick comming off the evaporator, but my customers love it that way.

I have a filter press.

I run the syrup off the evaporator into 5 gallon buckets with lids that seal. I let it sit for a week then most of the sugar sand is all on the bottom.