PDA

View Full Version : CV Adapters For Gravity System?

Bruce L
01-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone,I am currently replacing drops in one bush with new drops with Cv Adapters.I was planning on using the old drops in another bush which will be gravity,not vacuum,or could I benefit from CV Adapters in this bush also? Thanks for your input,Bruce

waysidemaple
01-23-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't think cv's will do much for gravity, but if you were thinking of using cv's on that section it would be well worth using new drops with healthy spout compaired to the old drops your taking out and would be reusing.

Scott

gmcooper
01-23-2011, 05:55 PM
The CK valves were not designed for gravity and were for vacuum systems. Some people used them on gravity but no idea if they were good or bad. I use them on our vacuum but just use a new adaptor on our gravity taps every year. The adaptors are about 1/2 price of CK valves.
There are a number of lenghty threads on here with Check Valves.

G.Rainville
01-24-2011, 01:36 PM
I heard that someone was doing a study on cv's on gravity systems. I'm not sure if it was at UVM. But I'm intrested in trying some this season. Maybe Dr. Perkins would know

DrTimPerkins
01-24-2011, 02:48 PM
I heard that someone was doing a study on cv's on gravity systems. I'm not sure if it was at UVM. But I'm intrested in trying some this season. Maybe Dr. Perkins would know

As someone noted, the CV spout adapter was developed for vacuum systems. We (UVM PMRC) have not tested them in gravity applications. Steve Childs (Cornell University Maple Program) has. He found that they did provide a significant benefit (46% or about 1.5 gal more sap per tap) I believe from his summary graph), however it was not nearly as large for gravity as it was for vacuum (which is to be expected). Expense is $0.35 (not counting stubby), benefit is about $0.75. Net profit of using CV on gravity is therefore is about $0.40/tap.

wkies
01-24-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm going to try the CV on gravity this season. The folks at Leader seemed to think they could help... or were they just trying to sell me their product. We'll see.