PDA

View Full Version : New flue pan question

PARKER MAPLE
01-23-2011, 06:08 AM
Im going to be purchasing a new flue pan after this season. I want to no my options and what you all would put on it, if it ways yours. Its a 3x8 raised flue 3x5 flue pan. Im thinking maybe new raised max pan. But also the pan has to be compatable with my exsisting front pan. it like brand new.. and will any pan configuration work with a steamaway??

Thanks Rookie

maple flats
01-23-2011, 06:17 AM
The Max will be compatable with your front pan but unless you want to do a total rework of the arch be sure to order it to be a fully raised flue style. They make both. A steam away will fit any pan configuration. Good luck, I think I will have one someday to go on my 3x8 but that comes after an RO for me.

Potters3
01-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Leader Patriot is the same thing but welded as a GH Grimm raised pan. They changed the name when they went to welding over soldering the pans. I beleive if you went with a Max raised it would fit right up with your old syrup pan and a Steamaway would fit up down the road. Steamaways can be made to fit almost anything out there.

PARKER MAPLE
01-23-2011, 06:51 AM
IM thinking the max flow raised flue would preform good for me. probably would be the best upgrade in a pan at this point? I like the idea of a steamaway also so I dont have to have an extra room on the sugarhouse for the r.o.

anybody no the gal p/hr I could get with this package. I also have a blower for under the fire now, but after this season depending on what people report might be installing the over fire air also.

Thanks rookie

Jim Brown
01-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Rookie; The 3x8 should do around 80-90 gph the way it is ,max flues should give you maybe 30% more and a steamaway will give you 50% more on top of that .You are going to need more trees!!!
Jim

3rdgen.maple
01-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Wow I have never seen a guy go through so many evaporators as you:D Whats this going to be the 3rd one in 3 years. You remind me of a close friend of mine that has passed on a few years ago. Seems like he bought new everything like every 6 months not that its a bad thing. Anyways you can go on leaders webite and it will give you some generic calculations of gph upgrades but you should also take notice that the max flue pan is only recomended for high effeciency arches. You need more heat to take the full advantage of the max. Every catalog I have advertising them says it right in the description. Whats wrong with the pan now? Also you might want to consider your tap count and being on gravity. That would be alot of evaportor for those numbers in my opinion.

Potters3
01-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Keep in mind that with the max pans and a steamaway you need the BTU's to run them. Air over and under fire, airtight front, oil fired arch. The more heat you can generate the more % gain you will get.

The max pans and a steamaway will not get great gains on a standard wood fired arch. There just isn't enough heat under everything.

PARKER MAPLE
01-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Wow I have never seen a guy go through so many evaporators as you:D Whats this going to be the 3rd one in 3 years. You remind me of a close friend of mine that has passed on a few years ago. Seems like he bought new everything like every 6 months not that its a bad thing. Anyways you can go on leaders webite and it will give you some generic calculations of gph upgrades but you should also take notice that the max flue pan is only recomended for high effeciency arches. You need more heat to take the full advantage of the max. Every catalog I have advertising them says it right in the description. Whats wrong with the pan now? Also you might want to consider your tap count and being on gravity. That would be alot of evaportor for those numbers in my opinion.

Yeah I no 3rdgen. my wife feels the same as you. but I think this one is staying in the sugarhouse just going to do upgrades to it as I can. I need a new flue pan, the one that i have is tin and im not really thrild about boiling on it this year but you got to do what you got to do. I really wasnt thinking that I needed more heat under a max pan to gain the max evaporation out of it. but it dose make sence now that you guys have thought it threw for me. Maybe the max pan isnt a good match for my arch, maybe should be looking at a conceventunal pan.

One other reason for the max/steamaway is because if have the means of expanding evenmore next year, this expantion would probably double my tap count and I need the pans to handle it. I dont want to add on to the sugarhouse for and r.o. because i dont want to have to heat it. If you guys ha to buy a new rear pan what manufacturer would you go to?

CDL
Leader
Lapierre
?????

Rookie

PARKER MAPLE
01-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Also 3rdgen, I have buying old arch's and rebuilding them for fun. made a little money on it. currently redoing and 2x6 grimm I will post pictures when its complete. So Ive been through more then you think.. Just got to take my pick of the one i wanted to keep.
Anybody interested in a new rebuilt arch. 2x6 grimm for raised flue???

Yeah I no 3rdgen. my wife feels the same as you. but I think this one is staying in the sugarhouse just going to do upgrades to it as I can. I need a new flue pan, the one that i have is tin and im not really thrild about boiling on it this year but you got to do what you got to do. I really wasnt thinking that I needed more heat under a max pan to gain the max evaporation out of it. but it dose make sence now that you guys have thought it threw for me. Maybe the max pan isnt a good match for my arch, maybe should be looking at a conceventunal pan.

One other reason for the max/steamaway is because if have the means of expanding evenmore next year, this expantion would probably double my tap count and I need the pans to handle it. I dont want to add on to the sugarhouse for and r.o. because i dont want to have to heat it. If you guys ha to buy a new rear pan what manufacturer would you go to?

CDL
Leader
Lapierre
?????

Rookie

PARKER MAPLE
01-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Cdl,
lapierre,
leader,
dominon/ grimm?

Wich one to replace with???

3rdgen.maple
01-23-2011, 09:01 PM
They are all good Im thinking its just a preference thing about what features make you smile the most. Yeah and pricing. I think its pretty cool you been rebuilding arches kinda keeps a man in touch with the maple world year round and Im sure it has put a smile on a few faces along the way.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Go with whichever one will give you the best customer service or that a good local reputable dealer sells. Leader customer service is the best for the US as they always speak English.