PDA

View Full Version : Forum Newbie

buckeye gold
01-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie here. I just found the forum last week and love it. I have already gleaned some valuable information from the threads.

I have had sugaring in my blood for decades, but never done it on my own until a couple years ago. When I was a kid we tapped and sold sap to a local sugar camp (circa 1960s) and ran 200-300 buckets. There were four of us kids and dad new how to use free labor. He drove our old ford 9N and wagon through the woods while the kids carried sap. We always carried a tin cup to dip a sample now and then to taste how our sugar was....yes we swore we could tell by taste, but the buyer used a hydrometer, LOL. Then in the late 80s and 90s my cousin set up a sugar house and ran several hundred taps on lines. Vandals burnt the shack and he quit. we sold all our gear to a guy in Virginia.

A couple years ago I got the hankering to make some syrup and boiled on a gas burner and turkey fryer in the back yard. Then last year I decide to do more and ran across an old friend who had started sugaring. He had already upgraded and had a leader half pint sitting in his shed. He offered the use of it set up in his shed, if I purchased it at season's end. I bit and here I am. I moved the boiler home as I did not like hauling sap, so now i need a shack. I Had 50 taps last year, will do 75 this year and I'm adding a small over fire blower to the half pint and building a concrete block pit to preheat and concentrate sap. The madness begins.....I know what ya all thinking, he'll be buying a bigger evaporator soon. I have already scouted my land and can do 200-250 taps right out my back door. Anyone know how to control this disease?

Oh yeah, I'm in southern Ohio. I tapped January 24th last year and I'm ready for weather to break.

sugarmountain
01-22-2011, 04:37 PM
The only way to controll the disease is........buy more stuff! i believe dr. tim perkins has a remedy but i cant remember exactly what it was:) somthing to do with scotch or burbon? welcome aboard its fun to see what everyone is up to, sometimes the discussions can get a little heated with certain topics but its all good stuff!

Sugarmaker
01-22-2011, 05:42 PM
buckeye gold,
Yes welcome to the trader. Southern OH is probably shut down with this cold weather too. So hang in there.
Regards,
Chris

Ausable
01-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Howdy and welcome -- Well - I think it is an addiction of sorts. I just do it as a backyarder (about 55 taps). About five years ago - I got it in my head that I was too old to do it anymore and I didn't and that was one of the most miserable years I spent. It really felt as though something was missing in my life and I didn't feel normal again till I tapped my first tree the following year. So as long as I can, for my own good, I'm tapping and boiling and eating maple syrup. Best of Luck to You and make lots of Maple Syrup --- Mike

maple flats
01-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Welcome aboard. We all have the same addiction, and there is NO CURE, but who would ever want a CURE? Just be glad that your addiction produces a pure healthy delicious product that is craved by people enough to pay very good prices for AND IT IS LEGAL. Enjoy.