PDA

View Full Version : Small RO

snag96
01-22-2011, 07:49 AM
I purchased a small RO system and when all is said and done, I will not be using it for the home use it was intended. So, here it sits and I cannot return it. It only does 75 GPD, but I was wondering if it would be worth using on my setup. I'm sure it wont keep up, but would it be worth reducing my boil be a couple hours? I plan on running 150 to 200 taps this year and I will be boiling on a 2x6 (2x3 drop flue divided and front 2x3 divided). I really know nothing about RO and dont know if this unit would even do what is intended. Here is the link to the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZZUBHE/ref=oss_product

Thanks for your help....

whalems
01-22-2011, 07:56 AM
I know nothing about RO's but there is a thread on here somewhere about "homemade" RO's and there was one about that size being used. I will see if I can find it.

maple flats
01-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Those gal ratings are for water at something like 55 degrees or so. Running sap at 35 will slow it and at 75 gal/day rating you only get a little over 3 gph on water. On the other hand, it might make a slight improvement. My guess would be about 2 gph. If that sounds worth it to you, go for it.
Personally, I am looking at one from the Waterguy for next year. They offer 3 sap units ones rated at 200 gph, 350gph and 500 gph at $3955, $4955 and $5955. Prices I think I can handle. I'm toying with the 350 or 500, no decision yet. Some of it will depend on how much syrup I make this year. I figure I can always sell and buy bigger if need is there., and they include shipping.

Bucket Head
01-22-2011, 04:36 PM
How much do you think you could sell that unit for? I have no idea what it is worth, but maybe the sale of it would cover, or come close to covering the parts needed to build a small sap RO that would handle your taps without a problem. Go to the RO section here and take a look at the posts/plans/parts listings for the homemade rigs. Teuchtar and Trackerguy (spelling?) built some impressive units and do not have much invested in them. I'm not bad mouthing any of these new-to-maple RO companies- maybe their units are great, but you can put a small unit together yourself for far less than what their asking for theirs. They are buying the same components from a supplier that you would end up buying for yours.

Either way, I think you would be better off with a small RO made for sap than to try an use the one you have there.

Steve