PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for Lights on Sap Hauler

SeanD
01-21-2011, 07:35 PM
I have a cart/sap hauler that I'll be pulling with my lawn tractor this season. To get to my neighbor's trees I'll need to go down about 100' of a main road from driveway to driveway. It'll usually be after dark when I do my collecting.

I'm looking for some kind of simple safety lights to have on the back of the cart. I don't need a brake light setup like a typical trailer. Besides, it doesn't look like I can wire those to the little battery of the tractor. I just need something to make me visible to drivers as they come up behind me. I have headlights on the front of the lawn tractor.

I'd like something rechargeable or at least something that doesn't go through a lot of batteries. I've looked at bicycle headlights, but they seem kind of small. I figure if there is something out there that matches what I'm looking for, someone on here would know about it.

Thanks,
Sean

Big_Eddy
01-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Get some trailer LED clearance lights. They are plenty bright and don't draw much current. You can even use a normal trailer connector to hook them up with.

collinsmapleman2012
01-21-2011, 07:43 PM
im not sure what to use for lights, but i reccomend putting an SMV sign on for extra safety and they are reflective. i would think most light kits are low voltage because they run off battery power

BryanEx
01-21-2011, 08:15 PM
im not sure what to use for lights, but i reccomend putting an SMV sign on for extra safety and they are reflective. i would think most light kits are low voltage because they run off battery power

For that matter, any good quality reflective tape will be seen by a car almost as easily as lights given you are only traveling 100 feet or so.

Bucket Head
01-21-2011, 08:48 PM
I'll share a safety tip from my other hobby that will work for your gathering rig. Model T Ford's do not have a very bright rear tail light. So the frequent night time users around hear went to the local Tractor Supply Company and purchased a battery operated, flashing LED, magnetic base saftey light. It is about 5x7 inches and is very bright. You can't miss it when its on!

I would still get a slow moving vehicle triangle too- the law kind of requires it. After all, you are moving slow and sugaring is an agricultural activity. Day or night, it will allow folks to see you better.

The more stuff you can get on the trailer for visability the better. But do get the triangle and strongly consider the flashing LED.

Steve

lpakiz
01-21-2011, 08:55 PM
I also recommend the LED magnetic mount light. I think the ones I saw were bright blinking--almost like a strobe light but red.

holey_bucket
01-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Almost anything LED will be extremely low current, as compared to traditional incandecent lights. You could run LED lights off a garden tractor sized battery for quite a while.

Bucket Head
01-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Yes, just like a strobe light. Red color, maybe even availiable in orange, I can't remember. Very little draw, the baterries in them last quite a while.

Get one of these for the trailer. It will be the difference in being seen by a motorist or being struck by one.

Steve

SeanD
01-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

I definitely had the reflective tape in mind, but want more. I have seen the triangles and I had assumed it was something I had to register for with the RMV. Is that something I can just buy somewhere and put on?

If that makes me legal, forget skirting the shoulder. I'm going to lead a parade right down the middle of the road. :lol:

I found a magnetic LED safety light on line like the one you mentioned. That looks much better than the bike lights I have seen. It's 6"x4" and it only requires 4 batteries. Thanks for the tip.

Sean

Bucket Head
01-21-2011, 11:11 PM
You can get both the LED light and the SMV triangle at the same store. Any farm supply or tractor dealership will have those SMV signs also. Nothing to register for. Its a DMV requirement but theres no paperwork involved.

Steve

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Better put two blinking lights on if your going to travel down the center of the road..., and buy a good full faced helmet, lol. See, more proof- sugarmakers are just cleverly disguised thrillseekers!

3rdgen.maple
01-22-2011, 12:43 AM
Just what ever you do dont do like our Amish around here getting smashed by cars. ie. black buggies and a very dimly lit lantern hanging off the back. So I would make sure you got a nice brightly colored cart that can be distinguished between a dark blob of nothing and an you. Flashing yellow lights will help people notice a hazard and hopefully slow down. Light that sucker up like a christmas tree a dead maple producer isnt worth trying to save a few bucks.

Flat47
01-22-2011, 05:33 AM
Most mowers use a mag and trigger type of ignition to get the voltage for the ignition system, not from the battery. Electric start is off of the battery. Just like snowmobiles and snowblowers, once running, you get 12 volt headlight and tail light. You can easily tap into that wiring and use any standard automotive wiring to hook up your cart or trailer without worries of draining the battery.

maple flats
01-22-2011, 06:47 AM
I had a large magnetic mount that I use for my tractors (5x7 or so), but it got knocked off going thru my blueberry bushes and crushed. I found it crushed, on the ground several weeks later, I pushed the button and it still worked, even though the case and lens had been driven over by either the tractor or the brush hog. I replaced it with one from TSC but did not like it, the magnet was not as strong. I bought another from Lowes and it is much better. Good strong magnet. I bought another so I have a spare. I have been using it for 2 years and the batteries still work good. They are available in red or amber and you can set them for constant or flashing. I use ambers and use them flashing. I use them all year long, driving all sorts of equipment between my sugarhouse and my blueberry fields, a distance of 7/10 mile. I also put one on the back frame of an old hay wagon running gear I use to haul logs. These are LED lights and are extremely bright. At Lowes they cost $16.99 when I bought my last one, maybe 7-8 months ago. If going to Lowes, look in the area where they have trailer hitch balls and such.

SeanD
01-22-2011, 07:14 AM
I ended up ordering them on line last night. I don't have much in the way of a tractor supply around hear and I sometimes I have to go hopping from store to store to get the stuff I need and often end up empty handed. It's good to hear it is at Lowe's, though. I couldn't find it on their site, so I got it at Walmart.com with $0.97 shipping. I have to pick up a hitch for the tongue of the cart, so I might pick up a second light while I am there.

I knew you were the people to ask. Viva la Trader!

Sean