PDA

View Full Version : Old Leader fittings.

Jim Schumacher
01-21-2011, 11:44 AM
I have two different syrup pans that I have been hired to build that must be an exact duplicate of the very old Leader pans with the big brass fittings that transfer from flue to syrup pan. The syrup pan has the male tapered fitting with a captive nut. The inside diameter of the male is 1.75". Has anyone found a duplicate of this fitting in stainless? How have others mated a new welded syrup pan to the existing flue pan? I didn't think I would run into more then one so I was going to have the fittings specially machined, but now am looking for other ideas. Anyone?

whalems
01-21-2011, 12:09 PM
When I had my new syrup pan built I shipped the old english tin pan to the builder so he could remove and reuse the fittings. My pan leeked preety bad so it was not salveable. hope this helps. Mike

firetech
01-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Last spring when I needed a new flue pan (replaced the King Pan) and mated it to my syrup pan (Leader) we had the big brass nuts on the flue pan. We used nylon hoses between the two pans slipped over the threads and clamped it down good and it didn't leak. Quick and dirty but effective.

Sugarmaker
01-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Jim,
Can you use the old fitting/s and solder it in to the new stainless box? That's how mine works. Could be cheaper than stainless custom fittings?
Chris

Jim Schumacher
01-21-2011, 09:22 PM
I have one of the pans in my shop now. I could unsoldier the fittings from the old pan and soldier them to the new one. I would just feel weird about soldiering a brass fitting to a brand new fulling TIG welded pan. Maybe I should leave the choice up to the owners.

Thanks Guys

Jim

Wardner in Tewksbury
01-21-2011, 09:42 PM
A verbal description will never equal several photos. I might have something if I could see what you want. You should also think about visiting a restaurant supply dealer who has used inventory. Alot of those guys have thousands of square feet of old kitchen equipment acquired at auction, some of which maybe scheduled for scrapping.

If you want to use the old brass fittings, why not chrome plate them to isolate the brass ? Or silver or gold ? Just put them in a box and let UPS deliver them. You are probably not going to find a local plater.

sugarmountain
01-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Too bad you couldnt retro the flue pan also with the dairy style, those are awesome. My rig has them and they are so easy.

Jim Schumacher
02-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Just thought I would let everyone know a great solution to adapt to the old leader fittings. See the picture below. The threads that the big nut threads onto are nothing more then 2" npt. Half of a union can be threaded onto the flue pan as shown, the other half TIG welded to the new syrup pan. Quick and painless. Problem solved. Thanks

Jim

Sugarmaker
02-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Jim,
Nice clean solution.
Here is a link to some stainless fittings that might come in handy. One of my beer making friends bought some stainless stuff from there and it looks pretty good.
Chris
http://store.proflowdynamics.com/modules/store/Cam-and-Groove-Couplings_C63.cfm