PDA

View Full Version : Hood

dkr
01-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Has anyone made there hood out of aluminum coil stock that is used for trim on houses? Would this be too thin

Haynes Forest Products
01-21-2011, 09:24 AM
You just need to make a frame. Plus it depends on the size. Bends and seams add strength Cross bending will stiffen it some..........NOW is it food grade house siding.....................HAD TO DO IT FOR 3rdGen

nymapleguy607
01-21-2011, 09:45 AM
I tried to build one from aluminium like that. I built an aluminium sub-frame and then tried to skin it with the aluminium. I ended up having one built for me from 16ga material and I was much happier. The siding is to light in my opnion and will dent and crush like a pop can.

dkr
01-21-2011, 09:45 AM
It's baked on painted finish 1 side and bare aluminum on the other. If I use sheet metal does it still need a frame. Hood is 2x3

maple flats
01-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Most need no frame. It all depends on the skill of the maker. Aluminum (or SS) that is most often used for hoods is quite lite guage. When angles are bent it gets it's strength. Just design it with bends and angles and you will be fine. I actually made my first hood on my 3x8 out of roof flashing. It was quite strong after making the bends for shape and strength, but in the end I had to replace it because the aluminum stock I bought turned out to be too hard. I have used lots of flashing over the years but had never encountered any that cracked at a 90 degree bend after being bent just once, that did and the cracks made it useless. That is when I bought some 3x8 sheets of heavier stock, but the lightest I could get, to make my hood. This was just a little too heavy to easily bend with my aluminum trim brake but I got it done by making extra clamps to reinforce the brake at each brace. Without this the brake would not bend the stock enough or uniformly.
I have no frame, just angles, but for my bottom gutter I did use 1x1x1 alum channel, mitered the corners and aluminum welded the corners and I have a drain out one corner to catch condensate. This does stiffen the bottom,

user587
01-21-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm just finishing mine, made from 1/16" alum. (approx 14 gage). They were cut and bent (on a break), then riveted together, with welds only in the drain channels to seal them. The hoods are plenty strong with no frame, I would go a bit thinner next time, no frame required.

I also have the siding/flashing material that I use for this-and-that. It seems quite thin for the job, ever with a frame. One elbow and it's dented forever.

my 2 cents...
Scott

Maplebrook
01-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I made a hood last year from coil stock. It is 18" X 42" and is lots rigid. There is no frame. As said here already, bends add strength. I made a stack on the brake as well(hexagon shaped) and the hood supports the stack. I am pleased with it.
Darren

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Darren,

Very nice hood!

Maplebrook
01-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks Brandon!

3rdgen.maple
01-23-2011, 08:35 AM
You just need to make a frame. Plus it depends on the size. Bends and seams add strength Cross bending will stiffen it some..........NOW is it food grade house siding.....................HAD TO DO IT FOR 3rdGen

I think it would be safe unless you used a toilet brush to scrub it down first then I might frown upon using the siding.:)