PDA

View Full Version : What have I done now???

firetech
01-21-2011, 04:03 AM
Last year I attended a bee keeping class put on by our Soil Conservation District run by a couple of local bee keepers. Nice class and very local. I suggested a back yard maple class for this year and volunteered to be a source person. I thought 10 -15 folks, no, we are at room capacity and they are turning folks away now. 50 new sugarmaker coming on board. Thanks to the folks at Sugarbush Supply for there help in loaning us some small equipment for show and tell. We have many hand outs and web resources to share too. Steve another sugar maker and I are doing the process part, the USDA forestor is doing the tree part, and our local Ag Dept inspector is going to cover the Cottage bill regs and labeling requirements. I think it will be a good program for $10 and 3 hrs of a Sat am. Wish me luck, talk slow and do'nt stare at the floor look at the people. So we may see some new folks on MT from Mid Michigan soon.

Ausable
01-21-2011, 05:43 AM
firetech -- That is a nice thing You are doing. The folks going to your class want to be there - so they should be a good group to work with. Best of Luck this coming Sugarin Season --- Mike

BoarsNest
01-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks great firetech. I hope it goes well. We need more sugarin' in Michigan. When and where is your class? I am just interested even though it sounds like it's full.

firetech
01-21-2011, 12:13 PM
It's tomrrow the 22nd at the Shiawasee county fairgrounds in the community room. 9am-12 but it may be longer with questions. I just hope we do a good job.

BUBSDAD
01-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Everyone did a nice job. I drove up from kalamazoo and i was not disapointed.

Learned a little and enjoyed talking to everone there.

Stopped in mason and bought a filter kit like you had on display on the way home.

Thanks for putting on a nice informative show.

firetech
01-24-2011, 06:49 AM
I'm glad you found the forum read and enjoy. Becareful this is a sickness that can take over your life. You'll be a mapleholic before long. Thanks for your support for the program that we put on. This was mine and Steve's 1st time at this but future seminar should be better. And we need other producers doing this to promote our Maple industy in there community. I have a power point that can be used.

Sugarmaker
01-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Firetech,
Takes work to put on a good presentaion.
Thanks for representing the maple folks. Sounds like attendance was great.
Expect to see some new folks (your students) on the trader too.
Chris

firetech
01-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Well it must have been a slow weekend for news because our Back yard sugar'n seminar made the front page of our local daily. Argus Press Owosso MI. I'm the handsom guy holding the demo log, yes it's not a maple. We had 58 people come and some drove over a 100 miles for a 3 hr seminar. I believe there needs to be 2-3 a year around the state to help folks do this right. Lot's of question on filtering and how to get a better boil. Thanks Steve for your help he's the other guy. Also a thanks to my daughter for the power point work.

BoarsNest
01-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Can you send me the power point. I would enjoy seeing it. Thanks Bob