PDA

View Full Version : sycamore syrup

PATheron
01-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Got a question, Have any of you guys ever tried to make sycamore syrup or know someone who has or tasted any. Im really interested in this and would appreciate any information. Thanks Theron

802maple
01-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Ok,Theron where are the sycamores near you?

PATheron
01-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Down town anywhere near the river huge ones. Nobody really cuts them for anything and you could easily go in and put 500 a 1000 taps in? Id love to try it but I want to know what it tastes like. Im going to tap one right next to one of my substations and boil down a bucket of it on the stove and see what I have.

C.Wilcox
01-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Theron,

I believe this has been asked before on the Trader, but I don't know that anyone followed through and tried it? I'm definitely interested in what you find out so please let us know your results and whether it was worth it.

PATheron
01-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Ive found on the net where people say you can do and all that but no info on anyone that is doing it. Ill let you know becouse Im definitely going to boil down a couple gallons if I have the time. Theron

802maple
01-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Now I can see a high vacuum installation going in on the banks of the river with hydro power

PATheron
01-21-2011, 06:31 PM
I found on the net tonight that someone made some and said the sugar was weak and the flavor was woodier somehow. He was using it in some recipe. The trees are awesome though. I think wikkopedia said that they are the largest trunked hardwood in the area. These things are huge everyone of them and along the river its full of them. Seems like they would run like crazy with high vac. Theron

collinsmapleman2012
01-21-2011, 07:30 PM
[Quote by 802 maple]Now I can see a high vacuum installation going in on the banks of the river with hydro power [Quote]

yea and he will have 2 evaporators running one for maple one for sycamore with a double size sugarhouse:D

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-21-2011, 07:31 PM
or 2 IV's running in the coronary unit in the local hospital. :(

White Barn Farm
01-21-2011, 08:22 PM
I was at a local flooring mill and they had made flooring out of sycamore. It was beautiful. Didn't know anyone used it for anything but pulpwood and now syrup.

Randy Brutkoski
01-21-2011, 08:36 PM
I would say go ahead and try it Theron. If you have any white birch down there, you might as well hammer on them too and do a trifecta of syrup. What does your dad think of all of the ideas you have? I know what he is thinking, ****, more work...

PATheron
01-22-2011, 05:28 AM
I havent mentioned it to dad. He would probly think that though. The only way Id do that is if the season ran a little off maple or if I could stay home all the time. I probly wont do it Id just like to try it becouse no one else has. If it taste like crap I wont though. Ill boil a little down and see.

802maple
01-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Just blend it with your PA Fancy, it should come out just fine, it can't hurt....hehehehe

len
02-11-2011, 03:37 PM
here is a pic of not a sycamore, but that of a sycamore maple.

It was tapped along with another sycamore maple, and a sugar maple. The sycamore maples ran for a couple of days, and then stopped. The syrup in the pic might be 30% sycamore maple, and the rest being sugar maple.

Just figured that I'd put this info in to compliment this thread.